Working on my DD E11

wonko

I finally received my E11 kit from DD and thought I'd share a few pics of the progress.  This won't be a proper build log as I'm staying pretty stock with little modification.  My plan is to either do a pipe build, or modify the real deal later, so I kept it pretty simple.  I have finished the scope, so may as well start there.  As always, opinions are much appreciated.  Thanks for looking!

Brian

ebb5sFu.jpg

vhnrW0A.jpg

Wow, seeing the first two pictures before reading the text, I thought that is a real scope.

You've really done a very good and realistic weathering on that. If the rest of your build is on the same level ........

• Like 1

Appreciate the compliments guys.  I'm trying to figure out what to do where the lenses go (the black just looks so wrong).  I had thought about drilling out the scope but really wanted to see how good I could make it look without any major modifications.  Like I said, I plan to do probably a pipe build with all the bells and whistles at some point, so I'll save all the real parts for that.  Any ideas what to do there?

While I was waiting for the kit I did some research (thanks to PlayfulWolfCub) on the power cylinders to scratch build my own.  Although not nearly as accurate as his, they are pretty close to the size and look I was hoping to achieve.  They are constructed out of all brass, copper, aluminum, and steel, and with the exception of the front and end caps are all soldered together.  I think they'll make a fine addition to my blaster.  Thanks for looking ;)

Brian

xmrBRAb.jpg

y5ovRTR.jpg

What i've done with my scope to make the lenses look more interesting without having to drill them all the way through, was to use an old small-scale painter's trick and try to replicate a light reflection on a lense with some paint:

BbJ9i6l.jpg

Oh, and awesome job on the scope and cylinders! They are truly superb.

• Like 1

Wow - again :) Very well done. Have no idea how difficult it is to build this from metal, but you achieved a very good result.

Maybe keep looking for some smaller nuts on the end caps and add these little side stubs. But I wouldn't care too much of that. You've already got great power cylinders :)

So, I finally got around to finishing up my blaster and got some decent pics.  I ended up scratch building a new counter due to the fact that the one that comes with the kit just bothered me.  The numbers you see on it will be replaced with some that look more accurate, and I will fix the size of the display window and add a correct lens when I get a little more time.  I typically call something 'finished', then look at it for a week or so and add/change things that start bothering me.  I'm open to suggestions or ideas as to what could make it better.  Thanks for looking, and thanks for the inspiration I found here while working on it.

Brian

TiMXWKC.jpg

i2vcyAg.jpg

CDTm8Rh.jpg

prpfbRP.jpg

LrSvpUk.jpg

2iaekXP.jpg

mlLB7QL.jpg

One thing you could improve for a future build would be to glue the "D-ring housing" lower on the "rear cap":

med_gallery_12157_40_53719.jpg med_gallery_12157_40_18532.jpg

Apart from that, it's looking pretty darn nice! And great job on your hengstler, it works really well.

On 2/21/2015 at 10:01 AM, Tolo said:

Beautiful blaster.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Thank you!

On 2/21/2015 at 7:24 PM, The5thHorseman said:

One thing you could improve for a future build would be to glue the "D-ring housing" lower on the "rear cap":

med_gallery_12157_40_18532.jpg

Apart from that, it's looking pretty darn nice! And great job on your hengstler, it works really well.

I agree, it's not where it needs to be.  I plan to remove it and place it where it should be.  Thanks for pointing that out!

Brian

This weathering is the most realistic I have seen since joining the FISD. Very talented.

Thanks Tino.  I built my first model 40 years ago and realized right away that I prefer dirt and grime over shiny and new any day.  I discovered that when it comes to weathering/aging, layers make all the difference.  I used layers of earth tones, and always do the highlights before giving it the final wash of grime.  There's not much in nature that's plain black, so I go sparingly on black washes, instead going for dark gray's and browns.  I appreciate the kind words!

Brian