Screws or rivets?

Hey all, I've been looking through a lot of ATA bucket builds because I'm working on mine at the moment, and from what I've seen everyone uses rivets for connecting the bottoms of the mask and cap. People use screws at the top, but when they get down to the second connection after they've figured out where they want their brow trim to lie, they use rivets. I'd like to avoid using rivets if I can because I want to be able to take apart the helmet if I need to, and from my understanding of rivets they seem fairly permanent. I've got the screws that I'd like to use if it's possible and if it isn't a terrible idea, but I wanted to check here first so I don't ruin anything. Has anybody ever used screws for that second connection? If you have, how'd it go and would you recommend it?

Mine didn't come with quite enough screws. I got one screw for each upper connection and three screws for each ear, but that's it. I went out to buy extra screws because I really would like to leave it with all screws and no rivets, but I don't want to do that if it violates a regulation I don't know about or something. I couldn't find anything in the CRLs, but that doesn't mean I know what all is allowed.

It's like this. You can have as many holes as you like on the inside of your bucket. So long as they are all covered up by the ears you will be fine. Purchase some 1/8 x 1" bolts with washers and nuts. Use a removable thread locker to keep them secured. Only 3 bolts on each ear are allowed to be visible from the outside of your lid.

Edited by Coastertk

Yeah, I know that. I'm just worried about what the use of screws might do to my helmet because I've never seen anyone use them. I know that if they don't show at all then they shouldn't be a problem in regards to my acceptance and since they won't show I don't think they'll matter. In addition to this, the CRLs seem to back up the idea that the requirements are mostly aesthetic and don't really deal too much with the actual construction or structure of the armor. However, that doesn't mean that someone didn't decide that screws at the bottom aren't allowed. I'm sure that there are resources I haven't found. I just don't want to make a mistake that creates problems for the integrity of the helmet.

Figure out where your ears are going to sit. Mark helmet lightly with a pencil. Keep all additional holes within these lines. Cover with ears. Then relax just a bit. Have fun with it. There is a lot of creative freedom on the inside of the lid. Cover the bolts with fabric or padding if you don't want them to be seen. Most importantly follow the CRL for the external components and make the internal parts work for your needs.

It doesn't violate any regulation. Ā You got enough screws. Ā I use the bottom screw for the ear to hold the bottom part of the helmet together. Ā I use the one silver screw for holding the top two pieces together, then two of the long brass screws in the top through the ear pieces, and one long brass screw through the bottom. Ā Here are some markers on how I placed the holes that the long brass screws go into:

Ā 

KOQ3ynD.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

JZ0W5hX.jpg?1

Ā 

Ā 

And here you can see that the silver screw is covered up, and you can see the two brass screws through the ear (and both pieces of the helmet) on the top, and one brass screw at the bottom (that goes through both pieces of the helmet)

Ā 

UVjiEAV.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

And then you paint the screws white:

Ā 

MXPrATM.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

bb7ji4d.jpg

Bottom line under the ears use whatever you want rivets, screws, etc, something permenant to semi permenant. If you plan on turning into a TD later than definitely use screws. Outside of ears use regulation size screw for all 3 areas. Terrell (ATA) usually provides enough to install the ears. If not you can buy more through him or trooperbay.

Edited by ukswrath

I had no idea something like that was happening... Man, that's perfect! I have family in Santa Clara and everything. Unfortunately, it's also my girlfriend's birthday. I won't be there, no.

For future reference, how would I go about finding out about these meetings?

Edited by CommanderZel

Are you registered with the GGG? If not go here >>Ā http://www.goldengategarrison.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=register

Ā 

Get registered and become a member. Access the forums, specifically "The Barracks" for Garrison info.Ā 

You need to be registered so when you're ready to submit your armor that's were you'll submit it. You'll have to submit your armor to a garrison who with then submit it to the 501st.

Ā 

http://www.501st.com/databank/Membership:JoinUs

Ā 

I've got my costume, now what?

Once you have your costume finished, you need to prepare your photos and submit your application.

Preparing your photographs

Your local Garrison Membership Liaison (GML) will need to verify your qualifications and will will ask for pictures of you in your costume for validation. See theĀ 501st Legion unit listingsĀ to identify your local GML.

The following tips will help make sure that you get the right photos to the GML on your first try:

• Only submit pictures of yourself alone against a plain background (no convention photos, please).
  • We will need photos with your helmet/mask on and off (if applicable).
  • You must include full-length views of your costumefrom the front, back and both sides.
  • Be sure to take your photos with adequate lighting and at a high-resolution to help us inspect the details.
  • Do not wear any non-canon accessories or add ons, including jewellery, glasses, earrings, (unit patches, extra weapons, pauldrons when not part of the canon costume etc...)
  • If you include any weapons such as a blaster or lightsaber, please ensure that they conform to theĀ weapons policy.

Submitting your application

Once your GML confirms that your suit is complete and valid for membership, fill out theĀ online application.

When your application is approved, you will receive confirmation via e-mail. Your Legion ID will be assigned and your record marked as "ACTIVE" in the 501st Legion member database. Please note that the 501st is an all-volunteer organization and the application may take several weeks to review.

If for some reason you are not validated for membership, your local GML will work with you and provide recommendations and resources that can assist you in modifying your costume to meet Legion requirements.

Edited by ukswrath

In addition, the GGG is having armor build party on the 21st in Gilroy, if you're interested, but you'll need to be registered first. Not exactly sure if you have to be a member to go, I'll check, if you're interested.Ā 

Edited by ukswrath

Yeah, that sounds great. I just sent in my application for registration with the GGG, so I'm sure I'll hear back from them soon. Once I'm registered I'll check out the armor party and see what I can do.

Again, thank you for letting me know about all this. I guess I had the process all wrong

I thought I would have to register with the FISD and then get assigned to a Garrison. I knew I'd end up in the GGG, but I didn't know how.

Thanks for clearing that up!

If the op means bolts vs rivets...then bolts. You can cut them short and use acorn nuts inside for safety...rivets are forever and could damage upon removal...and screws...are for wood.

• Like 1

You're right, I did mean bolts. I have way more experience with wood and screws than I do with bolts and metal/plastic, so screws always come to mind more easily for me.

Ā 

Actually that's what I thought you meant when you mentioned screw, as in machine screws, AKA bolts. Think that's confusing, at my workĀ anything that holds something else together, be it threaded or not is called a fastenerĀ  :blink: