EMP ROTJ costume

I trooped the Power of Costume exhibit last night at the EMP in Seattle, and they have a screen-used Endor TK on display.  I'll post some photos later, but there was one surprise:  The shoulder straps were clearly attached to the chest plate using snaps.  I looked for signs that Velcro had been used previously, but the weathering was consistent around the snap to the rest of the costume.  

Yeah, it was definitely an Endor suit.  Here are some photos:

E6369867-A1F1-44BF-BCE8-9BD16087C13A_zps

19D21792-0C93-429D-B508-C5C19F9ED1F8_zps

0C48BEE9-0D9F-4E2D-B5F3-71BF9000080A_zps

486E327A-77FB-4AB1-9969-BCAD9A563D9A_zps

Here is the one showing the snap.  Flash is not allowed, so it's not the best quality, but you can see the snap extremely well in person: 1dd44c0f-1c8a-4cad-b41b-f9af0ebf3aee_zps

I'll return when it isn't so busy and snap all kinds of better pics.  

Yeah, it's Velcro on the back and snaps on the front.  I'll see if I can determine how the bridges are attached next time I'm there.

Instead of snaps i rather lend towards rivets (a lot more ROTJ style), but they're definetely not glued or velcroed at the front.

In person, it is 100% clear that it is a standard snap.  In those lighting conditions, it's going to be tough to photograph it though.

Looking forward to seeing much more of this armour. Please take lots of photos :)

Interesting about the snap. All ROTJ armour I have seen have a rivet on the front and Velcro on the back.

You got it Paul.  This looks like the same exact suit featured in the Star Wars Costumes book.  Here is a good shot of the whole suit I grabbed from Geekwire: StormtrooperEMP_zpsf025ef4d.jpg

Here's another nice shot of the top taken from the Seattle PI: stormtrooperemphelmetfromseattlepi_zpsc0

Would you say it was a standard snap riveted to the shoulder bridge and snapped to the chest of can you see a 15mm snap head on the outside of the shoulder bridge?

That is hard to say for certain from what I can see; however, I think it likely is how you are describing.  

I'm with you Mark.  My garrison-mates didn't even realize this was ROTJ while I'm geeking-out over the details.  Most of those details have already been discovered, but the shoulder strap snap is a new one, and I couldn't wait to share.

DSC04142_zps9d992ae5.jpg

DSC04141_zps28a81c58.jpg

DSC04140_zpsb734019c.jpg

This photo doesn't capture it well, but the skinny elastic strap connecting the shoulder bell to the arm is present:

DSC04139_zps9e5fc6de.jpg

DSC04138_zps59c62a6e.jpg

DSC04136_zpse47f3e73.jpg

DSC04135_zpsc18f4e43.jpg

DSC04134_zps837ce9ad.jpg

DSC04133_zpsdb8f9418.jpg

I took a good look at the shoulder bridge elastic from the bells to the bridges.  The elastic goes from the bell to the fabric strap underneath the plastic straps.

DSC04130_zps683712c0.jpg

DSC04127_zpsfbdac772.jpg

DSC04125_zps1f03296c.jpg

DSC04123_zps2e9a9c3c.jpg

DSC04124_zpse944a359.jpg

DSC04121_zps202520a0.jpg

DSC04126_zps5a66b10d.jpg

DSC04132_zps55e76ca4.jpg

These are great photos, Todd. Thank you so much for sharing :duim:

Did you notice what the colours of the ab buttons were? Were they all the same or did they have any other colours? (Hard to tell the colour from the photos)

Could you tell if the boots were painted white or were they white leather? And the shoulder bell straps, could you see if they were glued to the Velcro under the bridges or was there a snap there?

These are great photos, Todd. Thank you so much for sharing :duim:

Did you notice what the colours of the ab buttons were? Were they all the same or did they have any other colours? (Hard to tell the colour from the photos)

Could you tell if the boots were painted white or were they white leather? And the shoulder bell straps, could you see if they were glued to the Velcro under the bridges or was there a snap there?

Thanks Paul.  It's hard to tell in person with the ab buttons too as the lighting is dramatic and dim; however, I think they are all the same color.

I didn't see any paint flaking off the boots.  To my surprise, they looked to me like they were actually white leather.  

As for the shoulder straps, I couldn't capture it with a camera, but I could see that beneath the plastic straps was a texture that looked like the hook side of velcro.  It also looks like that is what the shoulder bells attach to.

• Like 1

Great pcs! I notice in pic 2 and 3,..no sign of any rivets on the front of the shoulder bridges. Seems some suits had them,..some didn't.Perhaps on location repairs?

Also,..what's with the visible snap on the butt plate? First time i've seen that....

30years later,..and we're stil finding out new things!

Thank you very much Todd, i'm glad you figured how the shoulder bells are fastened to the shoulder bridges. That's something i was wondering for a while. 

And indeed, on the shoulder bridges there's no sign of rivets, or of the second part of the snap. I guess on this armor the snaps were directly glued to the bridge, but on others i think they were certainly secured via a rivet.

Also,..what's with the visible snap on the butt plate? First time i've seen that....

Like on ANH, that snap is for securing the crotch strap:

15223723854_0d82f6b2f9_c.jpg

Edited by The5thHorseman

Yes I know what it's for,..but on all the screencaps i viewed when building mine,the butt plate had no visable snaps;ie like the crotch it was seemingly glued to the inside.. Very easy to see on the poor guy who gets thrown head first over Han's shoulder. Infact,the CRL states no visible snaps to be used,

There seems to have been some serious variety in how the original suits were put together...