Looking for assistance in choosing armor

Hello all,

I am looking for some advice/feedback on picking out which set of armor I should purchase.  I've reviewed this article, and while I find it very helpful, I'm also hoping that I can get some more useful information giving some more information specific to what I'm looking for.

This will be my first Star Wars costume; I was a Civil War reenactor for a few years when I was in high school, but that was a long time ago, and frankly, it was much easier than what this endeavor looks like it will be.  I just went a bought items that were for sale at the different reenactments, so no "fabrication" was required.  That said, I do have some past experience wearing hot costumes in hot weather while hauling around a musket, so I figure that's a plus.  In terms of my skills that are transferable to building a kit, I am sorely lacking.  I have some experience in working with plastic miniatures (Warhammer 40K), but I'm not pretending that my experience in that hobby is going to be of much use here.  I am generally not skilled in building things, or working with tools.  On the plus side, I have a friend who has volunteered to help me.  Also, my timeline for this build is likely a year or two; I have a family with a small child, work full time, have other hobbies and social commitments and again, I'm planning on this being a rocky road, hence the long timeframe.

I have decided that I'm going to do ANH Stunt build, with the plan to build upon it to make it a HWT costume.  I also have aspirations of pursuing Centurion "out-of-the-box".  Concerning my budget, I'm always open to saving money, or not wasting money, but if I spent $2,500 or so over the course of the time it takes to build this project, I'd be OK with that.  I would appreciate a kit that was easier to work with, very reliable/solid, and wears well over time.  Obviously, going for Centurion, it needs to look great as well; this is probably the top consideration, while easy to work with, while desired, is the least important.  I can always plod along for a year or two on a more difficult kit, if need be.

For body type considerations, I am 5' 10" tall and weight around 215-220 lbs.  I am actually the heaviest that I have ever been; normally I'm floating around the 200 lbs. mark, though I should really be around 180 lbs.  That said, I'm self-aware enough (barely) to know that I'm probably not going to start working toward changing my weight anytime soon, so unless something forces me to lose weight, I'm not likely to drop lots of weight.  It's possible that I may gain some more weight, or my wife might put me on a diet, so having a costume that could potentially adjust a bit would be helpful.  My gut overhangs the belt by 3 inches.  I have a little bit smaller frame, I believe, than "normal", though I have a larger head.  For what it's worth, my dress shirts are 16.5" neck and 34"/35" arm length.

From everything I've read so far, I'm rather leaning toward contacting Troopermaster and seeing about getting a kit (if that's how things are done).  I guess I'm looking for some validation on my thinking of that before contacting him, or alternatively, reasons to consider going another route.

Apologies if this thread is better suited for a different sub-forum; if need be, please feel free to move it as needed.

Thanks for reading!  Looking forward to trooping in the future!

Been there! Troopermaster is going to serve you well! I'm also a former reenactor myself Civil War and WWII.

Where are you located and have you contacted your local garrison? They will be more than happy to help you out and when it comes to that "first cut" they will have you at ease and building in no time.

Of course there are great makers and some do have a wait list. Make sure to email each one for how long they expect to turn around kits. During your wait time you can contact Darman here for neck seal and once you get your armor TKittell for a belt. Build up all the small parts like blaster and tkboots, under armor and split rivets Etc etc....

So far I have received recommendations for an AP kit, a RS props kit and Troopermaster.  I haven't heard back from Troopermaster yet, but it's only been a few days, so I figure I'll give it a week before following up.  I got a quote from AP right away, and of course RS has their prices on their website.

I did get a chance to try to do a measurement today.  I did this using my wife's cloth measuring tape without her assistance, so my best estimate is that, at my belly button, I have a circumference of around 44-46 inches or so.  Would this be a problem with any of those three kits?

Lastly, since I don't think I said this before, I figured I would say I'd like a kit that's accurate enough to get to Centurion without too much "ingenuity", but after that, I'd rather have a kit that looks great/"idealized" then one with a "better" lineage.

Thanks again for all of the help so far!

*EDIT* - Troopermaster replied as I was typing this message.  This forum needs an embarrassed emote. ;)

Edited by Drage13

AP will be small for you.  I'm around 36" at the waist and I had to shim the sides.  The thighs and shins were almost too small (but I have big thighs).  

You can shim the body sides but thighs will be harder to do.  Not impossible, but it can be difficult depending on your leg and arm sizes.

Edited by Spycee

Vanity sizes in jeans should be illegal. My jeans are 32...my waist is 38 by tape measure. Im the biggest for ata suits and the arms and legs and bucket would be too small for you.

It *might* work with AP, my legs are almost that size. But at 44" you will definitely have to shim the sides. Check other kits though, it may be fitting better.

Im 5"10 and about 175lbs ish. Don't really have a belly but I'm not super skinny either. 

I have an AP and I just fits. If I put on any more weight I would have to do some shimming. I have large thighs and calves too, and they are tight. I didn't take any off the shins but I took a touch too much off the thighs....so I had to do some extension work which resulted in my back thigh cover strip being about 50mm wide! 

Just from what you have said about your 'phisique' - You would have to do some serious shimming especially in the ab area if you end up with an AP. My opinion is that it is easier to have to cut off excess, rather than have to make shims. 

Hope this info helps a little. Good luck! 

So it sounds like going with AP would make shimming, possibly quite a bit of shimming, guaranteed.  It seems to me that if going with RS Props or Troopermaster would reduce the amount of shimming I'd have to do, or eliminate it altogether, that would be ideal.  Would anyone with experience with those kits be able to help clarify that for me?

• 3 weeks later...

I've started leaning more toward RT-Mod, based on research I've done.  However, I've sent a couple of messages over the past two weeks and I haven't heard anything from RT-Mod.  I know he travels quite a bit for work from what I've read.  Has anyone heard from him during that time?  I sent a couple of emails from my personal email, then also a PM through these forums, in case a spam filter is at fault.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I received the same response, which was quite disappointing since it seemed that that was going to be my best bet for my body's build.  I am now looking to move forward with different brand, but am a little anxious about shimming.

I had not reached out to MTK; I didn't see them in the newbie article about armor providers, so completely glossed over him.  Are there some review threads you'd recommend I look at for this armor (I'm looking over the links in your signature now)?  That said, I'm probably a message or two from pulling the trigger with Troopermaster, so I'm not sure if I'm going to change course at this point.

MTK or Mike, is a member here on the boards, he runs Trooperbay, check it out, he has step by step armour build videos on his website very useful to at least get a blow by blow idea of what is involved in putting a TK together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Im confused on sizing. All I ever see is people choosing armor on their hight and weight. It making it hard to figure out what armor would best fit me.

It just seem easier have them listed fitting

hight-

Chest-

Waist-

Or am i completely missing some thing.

Since all is the kits can be customized to fit a range of sizes, it's hard to pin each one into acceptable chest, waist, etc measurements. So the key is that there are some kits built for body builds that differ from the 5'10" 170 lbs screen trooper. RT Mod is really for tall troopers. If all you need is a bit more roominess, consider MTK, or AM.

Edited by DroidHunter