Sound for your Resin E-11 kit

Okay, this may already be a known commodity, but I don't recall having seen it anywhere before, so I have to share it, because it is very exciting to me, personally.

Now, I love my Doopydoos E-11... I did a lot of fun mods to it, and I think it turned out beautifully, but at the end of the day, it is a silent killer... It has no electronics in it, and realistically there just isn't much room to fit electronics into it.

If you had a way to put sound "in" your resin E-11 though, would it be worth $16USD to do so? (For me it was less than $25 with priority shipping)

Here's what a Jawa here in the Star Garrison area just shared with us:

http://www.electronics123.com/kits-and-modules/Audio-Effects-and-Sound-Modules/300-second-USB-recording-module.html

Its kind of a "cheat" I suppose, but if you're just dying to have some sound available from your blaster, this will do the trick, as you've got four buttons - one on each fingertip in your glove - and the speaker is in your hand/glove as well. The sound will absolutely appear to come from your blaster as opposed to from your chest or helmet where you happen to have your speaker mounted.

EDIT: Now that I've looked further down their page, I see that a member of TAG has indeed used this for their blaster in the past, as they linked to it on the sales page.

Edited by Dark CMF
  • Like 4

Hi Tim. I was so set on buying the same thing a long while back.  I never did buy it due to shipping charges to Japan. Another member here (can't remember their name, sorry) later added in their thread they were going to use the Adafruit sound module. Here is the link:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/2133

It comes in 2MB and 16 MB flash ($24,95)  Still need to add speakers and battery pack but its tiny and might be the better option in the long run. I will be installing this in my blaster at some point.Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I remember all too well the shipping to Japan issues.

That looks like another very cool option, but you'd have to figure out the battery configuration for installing it I suppose.

Great share though! Perhaps others will share options that they've seen here in the thread. That will provide several options for people to consider.

I've ordered one, so I'll come back and do a review with a video after I get it up and running. ;)

I remember all too well the shipping to Japan issues.

That looks like another very cool option, but you'd have to figure out the battery configuration for installing it I suppose.

Great share though! Perhaps others will share options that they've seen here in the thread. That will provide several options for people to consider.

I've ordered one, so I'll come back and do a review with a video after I get it up and running. ;)

Great. Can't wait to hear your review!  Hope more people reply with more options as you mentioned. This is one area of blaster building that is lacking when it comes to options.

• Like 1

Well...this was my "skunkworks/black ops" project, but I might as well share in this thread because the cat's out of the bag...

I was saving this for a future update on my carbon fiber build, but it looks like several others have beat me to it.

I have the Adafruit sound board.  The board and 1400mAh lithium battery should fit inside the magazine.

You can also get a power "backpack" for the board which will allow you to plug the blaster in to recharge it without having to disassemble to replace batteries.

The sound board has a built-in 2W amplifier, 11 triggers and 2MB of storage.  I plan to rig it into the trigger and a functional selector switch. 

I will use the selector switch to select "random" (safe), "cycling" (semi-automatic) or "basic" (automatic), then use the trigger to initiate the sounds. 

FFB79FF0-91D4-47E0-AC70-4C2B47A71ACF_zps

The board offers some pretty impressive features:

• No Arduino or other microcontroller required! It is completely stand-alone, just needs a 3 to 5.5VDC battery
  • Small - only 1.9" x 0.85"
  • Built in storage - yep! you don't even need an SD card, there's 2MB of storage on the board itself. Good for a few minutes of compressed stereo, and maybe half a minute of uncompressed stereo. Double that if you go with mono instead of stereo. If you need more storage, check out the 16MB version.
  • Built in Mass Storage USB - Plug any micro USB cable into the Sound Board and your Windows computer, you can drag and drop your files as if it were a USB key
  • Compressed or Uncompressed audio - Go with compressed Ogg Vorbis files for longer audio files, or uncompressed WAV files
  • High Quality Sound - You want 44.1KHz 16 bit stereo? Not a problem! The decoding hardware can handle any bit/sample rate and mono or stereo
  • 11 Triggers - Connect up to 11 buttons or switches, each one can trigger audio files to play
  • Stereo line out - We breakout the line out levels so you can connect up headphones if desired
  • 2 x 2W Class D Amplifier - Get booming instantly, we baked in a stereo amplifier that can drive 4-8 ohm speakers, up to 2.2W with only 1% distortion
  • Five different trigger effects - by changing the name of the files, you can create five different types of triggers without any programming
Edited by usaeatt2
  • Like 2

Yep, the Adafruit sound board is what I am going to use too. I was making progress on that front before my Armor arrived :)

Last weekend I started up again, but wasn't able to get the batteries I have to fit. I've got some smaller options coming today along with the power backpack mentioned above. The challenge is going to be getting it all to fit, but then also being able to charge or change sounds later without much effort. Being in sunny/rainy Florida also has me concerned about waterproofing the electroics as best I can.

Tim, thanks for the link.. I think this is a really cool option for adding sounds! Looking forward to the video review.

I guess you could even have sounds when you're without your baster for fun :) 

• Like 1

EXCELLENT post, Tim! Just finished up my blaster, and getting tired of yelling "PEW PEW". And, it's annoying the dog, (although this addition may drive him over the edge). Looking forward to your review!

• Like 1

I can't stop thinking about the tactile switches inside the gloves...love that idea!

More of the "blaster sound system" arrived today!  Selector switches and speakers from Poland.

Excited (and partially worried) about what kind of sound will come out of 32mm 3W speakers...

0336AA0E-A3E0-4299-AEF9-41804B44C126_zps

• Like 1

Can't wait to see this build in its entirety. You must do a YouTube vid so we can see and hear it in action when complete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The sound glove apparatus is out for delivery!!!  

Review will be coming soon!!!   :D

EDIT: So, I have it, and for the most part it is very simple to set up. You download a simple program from their website, and the instruction manual for it as well. You install the program (must do so as the administrator, and the website says that the program does not work with Windows 8+, but it does) and when it opens, you plug the USB board into the computer and follow directions. It is the tiniest bit confusing, because the software doesn't give you any "instant feedback" as you go through this process.

After I placed the order the other night (and the shipping was really quite quick, in my opinion), I downloaded the two files and did a Bing search for "Stormtrooper Blaster sound wav." I found a few different websites that have them available to download for free, so I did just that. This way, when it arrived, I was ready to go.

I have it set to the loudest setting (done via the software) and I have a "quick blaster" sound, a "heavy blaster" sound, a "set for stun blaster" sound, and a 40 second clip of the Imperial March set for the four triggers. My wife spent the better part of the last hour complaining about how loud it is, and then the boys laid down for naps so I begrudgingly stopped playing with it.

My only real remaining question will be this, how loud is it when it is inside of a TK rubber glove? That I'll figure out later. In the meantime, I've got to find myself a "pair" of the cotton glove liners. My intent is to "sew" the components to the glove. I'm also going to look for some fabric tape or maybe some shrink tubing for the wiring and make an elastic arm band for the battery box. These components should allow me to secure everything and make it "sweat-proof" as we all know that that could be an issue inside of the glove on a cool spring day. ;)

I'll post some pictures (which are already taken) and video (which isn't taken yet) here later on.

Edited by Dark CMF

Okay... Video taken.

Time for the extended review:

Basically, this thing is a win. You really should make some minor alterations to it to use it for this purpose though. The guy in my Garrison that used it for a Jawa as I mentioned. They have soft gloves so it is a bit less of an issue for them potentially, but I'd say you definitely need to lengthen the wires to effectively use this as a TK, because you'll want that board out of your hand. You'll see why in a few minutes.

Pictures:

10960097_900653063289965_428072217141322

This kit was shipped very quickly, and arrived in a small USPS shipping box. Very secure.

10960235_900652916623313_379428440424612

Inside the box, is a small foam-wrap "pillow" for lack of a better term.

10838021_900652936623311_911136225719637

Inside the pillow is a small sealed plastic bag.

10920113_900653019956636_551877298743487

Inside that bag, is the USB sound recorder with the four triggers and battery box attached.

10872745_900653186623286_501121351348285

Here is a shot to show the relative size of the board and the other parts attached.

10949731_900653269956611_818153390454384

Using the software on a Windows 8+ computer... It works, trust me.

10952478_900653263289945_955131379735961

I AM IRON STORMTROOPER! No, not at all, but I feel like this should be part of an Iron Man build... Anyway, in order to test it before I do any alterations to it, or attach it to a glove for use, I did a mock-up to see how it fit within the glove, and of course, how it works in the glove.

1500911_900653356623269_1524494077387576

And now, it is in the glove... Let's head outside to test it since the boys are both still asleep, and I've once again been chastised for the volume of the unit. Make sure that your volume is turned up fairly high before you watch the video below, the volume of the video is a bit low.

Video test. As I mentioned in the video, I would not recommend using the kit as it arrives. I fully intend to lengthen the wiring and put together an elastic band that will allow me to hold the batteries and the board in my forearm or even my bicep, but not in the glove. It just isn't convenient, because you've got to carry the E-11 in that hand. Otherwise, I'm excited about this addition to my TK toys!!

Edited by Dark CMF
  • Like 4

Tim, thanks for the awesome review. The video goes the extra mile to show how you have got it set up and how if sounds. I was surprised to hear how loud it is. Before watching this video, I somewhat doubted how loud this board could be. I might spend the extra money to have it shipped to Japan.

Great work and adaptation Tim! I could see where extending the wires so that the module is mounted somewhere else would be beneficial. Just don't "High 5" anyone with that hand! ;)

I too was on a similar track and been working with a sound board that is primarily used for stuffed animals or greeting cards. :0Lighten:

My plan was to take the sound output and pipe it through my voice amp. Since most of us have an amp of some kind, this would eliminate the need for a secondary sound board/amp/speakers, created a smaller device foot print, reduce the power supply requirement on the sound board, and last come in at a slightly lower price point.

Here is what I have been experimenting with lately.
http://store.bigdawgspromo.com/product_info.php?cPath=492&products_id=12970

This sound board is very similar to yours and the Adafruit whereas it is programmable, no need for an SD card and is activated via switches. The one I have been experimenting with has very small (4MM) push button switches.

It does come with a speaker but the sound is way too low for be heard other than in a relatively quiet area, thus the need to be amplified. It is powered by three small "button" batteries that are on board.

Look forward to your final install. :jc_doublethumbup:

Edited by toybiz
  • Like 1

Tim: Check out the work Frank has done over on the SLD with this sound board.

http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?showtopic=7606

http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?showtopic=6441&p=97311 (more or less the same as above)

He used cat5 cable to extend the switches and runs that badboy to an aker. 

I also have one sitting on my desk gathering dust. 

-Eric

• Like 1

Hi guy don't know if it helps I have blaster sounds in my glove on mt tie pilot and I attached them with the Velcro tabs that you use colour coding wires on the back of the TV or computer E6000 them to backs of the button done one tab after it's cut done three fingers you can get them from any electric out let for a few £ $ € saves using Elecy tape and when it get hot under the glove it's going get hot

• Like 1

Wow, Eric. Without knowing Frank, I like him. His evolution on this project looks to be about the same as mine, but he took it a step further with the Akers and the Cat V.

Very cool indeed. Thanks for sharing it here!

Hey Tim!  I ordered one of these, and I agree that the glove is no place for the board.   I know you are planning to extend the wires for the board, but will you be posting a thread on how to do this?  I am a little, shall we say, "electronically challenged", but I can follow directions well,  as long as there are photos.  Thanks again!

:D Of course I will. LoL

I'm debating if I want to do it "properly" which will be more difficult for some people to follow along and do themselves, or just "rig it so it works" when it comes to the wiring - which is my true methodology of choice. I've got three troops between Saturday morning, Saturday/Sunday all day, and Monday night, so this may be another week or two before it is actually completed and posted anywhere.