Hovi Speaker Mic tips

• 1 month later...

Matthew,

Noticed that nobody seems to have posted about the electronics part of this, which I assume is why you posted in the electronics for helmets and blasters section.

To reiterate the people above, both Keith's and Sskunky's mic tips are incredible, and a much better option than buying tips with pre-installed speakers. I ran into the same problem while trying to keep everything internal to my helmet, so no wires are running around my body or have to be attached/detached when taking off the helmet, and not having a mic showing.

If you check out www.digikey.com, you can search for speakers of varying diameters, and install these on the better mic tips mentioned above. This will also be cheaper in the long run as each speaker will be about $5, maybe less. Just make sure you buy speakers that are small enough to fit the INSIDE diameter of the mic tips you buy, and that they have wire leads and not solder terminals. With wire leads you can simply splice the wire into a normal 3.5mm input jack, and plug that into your amp/mic setup/etc.

Feel free to PM me for more info on how I did this, but it sounds and looks pretty freakin sweet. I used rubber tubing like on a beer funnel but thinner to keep the wires in place within the helmet as well, so it looks very cool on the inside, almost like you might imagine a tech-filled "real life" stormtrooper helmet might look.

Matt

Matthew,

Noticed that nobody seems to have posted about the electronics part of this, which I assume is why you posted in the electronics for helmets and blasters section.

To reiterate the people above, both Keith's and Sskunky's mic tips are incredible, and a much better option than buying tips with pre-installed speakers. I ran into the same problem while trying to keep everything internal to my helmet, so no wires are running around my body or have to be attached/detached when taking off the helmet, and not having a mic showing.

If you check out www.digikey.com, you can search for speakers of varying diameters, and install these on the better mic tips mentioned above. This will also be cheaper in the long run as each speaker will be about $5, maybe less. Just make sure you buy speakers that are small enough to fit the INSIDE diameter of the mic tips you buy, and that they have wire leads and not solder terminals. With wire leads you can simply splice the wire into a normal 3.5mm input jack, and plug that into your amp/mic setup/etc.

Feel free to PM me for more info on how I did this, but it sounds and looks pretty freakin sweet. I used rubber tubing like on a beer funnel but thinner to keep the wires in place within the helmet as well, so it looks very cool on the inside, almost like you might imagine a tech-filled "real life" stormtrooper helmet might look.

Matt

Hey Matt sounds like you have some pretty good ideas, why don't you post build thread with pics and instructions so the rest of us can see what you have brewing in your bucket.  :duim:

Hey Matt sounds like you have some pretty good ideas, why don't you post build thread with pics and instructions so the rest of us can see what you have brewing in your bucket. :duim:

My curiosity would like to see that too

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

For those that may be interested to know.

Bare speakers - 8 Ohm / 25w speakers (20mm diameter, with wires), These should fit into a set of mic tips for around $6ea.($12 pair)

A set of mic tips from Keith - $22.

Tax and shipping domestic would probably put the whole set around $45-$50.

All this before having to remove and drill out the mounting post and base.

If you can get the mic tips hallow (which I'm looking in to) then it's a easy setup. If you can't then I can't see it being worth it, giving time is money, having to build a set vs purchasing some that are already built.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by ukswrath