Sandtrooper Backpack no more allowed?

Manutex

Hi guys,

only the backpack is missing for my HWT armor... and after checking the costume reference library at 501st.com I noticed that only the

- Backpack is styled after and closely matches the backpack seen in the Battlefront series

are allowed. Is that new? Times ago, the Sandtrooper backpack was also ok!

Here the link to reference library: http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_hwt

Oh no... I already have the field pack... a sandtrooper field pack... so I can forget my approval for my HWT :6:

It's not nice... it's not ok to simply change the CRLs without announcement and that fast...

Last month it was still allowed, as you can see in the second post of this thread : http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29355-first-try-hwt-pack/

I might would have comprehension for this change if it would be for level 2 and/or 3, but not for basic approval!

I really invested a lot of money to get the extra parts to be able to switch to a HWT... from one day to the other all the parts are worthless... that change is really priceless... :6:

Edited by Captain_Wordo

You can always sell the pack. We made the change about two months ago.

Naturally the pack should match the one carried by the character you are portraying.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You can always sell the pack. We made the change about two months ago.

Naturally the pack should match the one carried by the character you are portraying.

Great answer! Of course I could sell the pack, but that wouldn't be what I want! I bought it when it was allowed to wear it. Now I have to decide

1) sell the pack, make a loss of money and buy a new one

2) sell the pack and all other parts of the hwt and make even a bigger loss of money and simply be a tk

3) become dirty and switch to td

To be honest I don't like these options.

Oh and it's really great that the change is already 2 months ago... also 2 months ago was no announcement that CRL will be changed!

And as shown in my link http://www.whitearmo...t-try-hwt-pack/ it was still allowed in december... oh, wait... that is 2 months ago! So it changed next day without saying in word in this forum? Another great behaviour!

What about the HWT that already have their approval with the pack that is wrong now? Do they have to change it to match the character they're portraying?

Let me guess... NO! So there will in future always be HWT that don't show the "character that they do portray" for 100%!

So I cannot understand why it already has to be the other style for basic approval.

It is really not okay! But maybe the FISD doesn't want more HWT, okay, but then you should simply close this section.

This behaviour is simply unbelievable! I am really in anger and deeply disappointed!

Edited by Captain_Wordo

I'm sorry that you are upset. But you *deliberately* choose a pack that is not used by the character in the single source of its appearance. And you are upset that we drop support for something that was not supposed to have been there in the first place?

Sorry but that is like jumping on thin ice and getting upset when it breaks.

• Like 3

I'm sorry that you are upset. But you *deliberately* choose a pack that is not used by the character in the single source of its appearance. And you are upset that we drop support for something that was not supposed to have been there in the first place?

Sorry but that is like jumping on thin ice and getting upset when it breaks.

Oh, okay, I did not know, that I am moving on thin ice... maybe FISD forgot to put a warning sine in front of the thin ice! So tell me why it was in the former CRL possible to take a choice between two packs when it was not really the wish of the CRL, cause the character does not look like it?

Your argument is simply an excuse. The CRL should provide safety and to be reliable. When it is really neccessary to change it, ok, make an announcement, give the people at least 6 months to react on it and give them the chance to get their parts at home and their costume ready and make the change final after that period. Maybe you already forgot, but it takes some time to get the parts from the people who sell them.

Oh and by the way, your "thin ice" doesn't answer the fact of the already approved HWTs.

Oh hey, maybe I should put a sign up here:

ATTENTION: THIN ICE!

This is valid for the entire FISD

I'm heading for work so I'll keep it short and visit this in length tomorrow.

But if you had spent more time researching the actual character than the loose description of it you should have realised that a sandtrooper pack is just wrong.

Sandtrooper packs were allowed because a lack of research on the game packs. But that is no longer the case and you can get the correct pack just as easily had you just asked for it.

Failing to research the character you are portraying is on you.

• Like 2

Sorry, but I did not failed, cause the CRL was

Backpack
For 501st approval:

• Styled after the ANH Sandtrooper packs or a simplified pack as seen in the video game (Battlefront series).

You can see I did research, I took a choice between two offered possibilities!

It was a fail by the FISD not to mention anything! There was NO singe post that FISD is going to change it.

Edited by Captain_Wordo

Hi,

I agree with ou Captain Wordo and I understand you then in december the Sandtrooper Backpack still allowed and so it's normal that you "deliberately" choose this kind of Backpack!

I read this forum, particularly this section since my registration and never see something about an announcement of the change...

I would find it good that Sandtrooper Backpack was allowed for the basic approval and ok... not for level 2 and/or 3 (then more accuracy with the character in question).

• Like 2

Actually you're right. It was a total FISD staff fail to not announce the CRL change. I am just as much to blame as anyone else on staff. 

While I support the decision to eliminate the TD pack for HWT we should have told you.

When did you guys purchase your TD packs to become a HWT?

-Eric

• Like 1

Things change, things get better, we all have to learn to adapt. No conspiracy here just an update of the requirments. I built a pack that will not be approved but now I am building one that will get approved based on the video game pack. I can see both sides but I say build one based on the video game. It just looks better, is more basic, and looks awesome with leather pouches. But hey I'm just a caveman.  

• Like 1

Eric, I purchased mine back in September and received it mid December also. I purposely and specifically hired dirtyboy to build me a pack that I could use between my TD and HWT with minimal cosmetic change. Like others here, I also DID my homework prior to the unannounced change. Not only that my ATA re-build thread states that specific parts of my armor were designed so I could switch between TK and HWT. With these changes it made my bid Centurion a bit more challenging but worth the effort. With this announcement I'm now dead in the water regarding the HWT unless I buy another $350 pack.

A bit frustrating to say the least.   

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

I too ordered a backpack in September and received in December, my idea was to build my next armor and become approved as HWT then later move on to a TD.

I realise the CRL's are currently changing BUT we had a heads up about EIB and Centurion changes 6 months prior to the CRL being changed a while back, members where encouraged to build to the new changes even though they had not come in, SO why did this not happen with the backpack change?.

Hopefully a research of the character may find one not wearing a backpack and the CRL can be changed again ;)

I would just like to say the comment "But if you had spent more time researching the actual character than the loose description of it you should have realised that a sandtrooper pack is just wrong" I find contradictory. We are told to build to the CRL, we do the research, we build and changes are made to the CRL, who's fault is that, it was stated clearly in the CRL as Markus pointed out. Who would build to a character and not go by the CRL, really!

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 2

IMHO this is still a staff fail.  Being able to use sandy packs encourages people to do both costumes.  I have no issue of making a game pack required for Centurion or even EI level, but to have it for base?  That's just silly.

Hopefully it will be re-instated next year.  Either way I'll still troop HWT with my sandy pack.  This was a real dis-service to our membership, and is not inline with the spirit of what the different levels were meant to denote.

• Like 4

Ok it may have been a mistake or an oversight but the intention was good.

I have always celebrated the FiSD for its constant drive to strive for accuracy.

Personally I think it is right to have the appropriate pack to make the costume correct it should not be about making parts interchangeable.

Sure use parts for other costumes if they are correct but not just because it is cheap or convenient.

Going back would be the bigger fail in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'd like to say that I absolutely agree with the change to the CRL... but I knew it was going to happen but I failed to let the detachment know. If you have anyone to blame its me.

I've just sent a PM to everyone who said they already purchased a TD pack before the change. The LMO is willing to work with you and your GML to get it approved. 

Good luck all. 

-Eric

• Like 4

Gary sums it up pretty well. And I do think a grace period is appropriate as well. Those that already have a TD pack and insists on trooping with it can do so and consider themselves grandfathered. There is just the influx of new approvals that needs to stop if we are to progress.

It's not like this change stops anyone from becoming a member of the 501st. HWT is an addon to an existing costume, but it should not be excluded from the ordinary evolution of costume standards.

Change doesn't happen over night, and neither do I expect this costume to do. But down the road it might become the distinct costume it's supposed to be rather than just a clean sandtrooper.

• Like 3

Hey everyone.  I haven't been on the forums in awhile due to some personal and family issues this past year so this is just coming to my attention as well.

I have built in the past some pretty accuarate HWT Battlefront styled packs and hope to continue to do so in the future.  I am coming off a broken hand and surgery so I haven't been able to do much in the shop andd TD pack orders are waiting.

I will be posting an HWT Pack Kit which will include the hard to find/make detailed box pieces.  Price for the kit is yet to be determined.

I will do my best to get the kits poured and out in a timely manner for those interested.

Stay tuned...

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

I've been thinking of switching to HWT after I became a TK in October of last year. I thought about TD, but I don't like the idea of dirtying up my armor LOL! Can I get basic acceptance with out the pack? And then get the pack? I mean, I can remove the drop boxes, and get the pauldron and ammo pouches no problem.

The new CRL of the HWT says following:

Backpack

For 501st approval:
Backpack is styled after and closely matches the backpack seen in the Battlefront series.

It is not mentioned as an optional accessorie, so it is required for basic approval.