Wearing glasses while in a bucket!? (the real reason why TKs can't aim?)

Ok, I may end up being a trooper that can't aim for bantha poodoo as I wear glasses. Now Without them I am blind as can be. Yes I know contacts are a thing but as I do not currently have the money to get them are there any alternatives , or is the bucket big enough to accomidate glasses? I will be reciveing my big brown box soon so have yet to check the size of the bucket plates.

(I have a vader helm that my glasses can fit in, ironicly)

Edited by Quadan

I also wear glasses and I have a smaller pair that work just fine. It just depends on how wide your frames are and how your padding fits in your bucket. I have an ATA and I believe some helmets are bigger than others and that would make a difference as well. Bottom line is I think you can most likely find a way to make them fit. Have fun with your build!

Hello Matthew,

Ā 

Does your glasses fog up in your Vader Helmet? Chances are they will fog up in a TK Helmet. What type of Armor did you order? What type of Helmet are you getting?

Depending on how much you trim out of the bottom of the Helmet, you may have to twist the Helmet to put it on. What are you going to put inside the Helmet? If you put wiring, Screws, Bolts that keep the Helmet together, Fans speakers, helmet liner, etc. Add that, with the measurement of your head, there is little left for room. Also, there is a chance that you can scratch the lenses on your glasses, with what is inside of the Helmet. I wear glasses. After, putting my AP Helmet on, I would not take the chance on damaging my glasses by wearing them inside my helmet. Others my disagree. I paid $350.00 for my glasses.They have Anti-scratch, polarized and anti-reflective coating on them. I also have contacts for outdoor activities.

Ā 

I know that you mention you are short on cash.Ā  Investing in armor and supplies for building,is expensive, my opinion, I would think about investing in disposeable contacts.

Ā 

Andy

Thanks for the input guys! I will keep all of this in mind and think of saving for disposable contacts but for now if a mid size head can fit with glasses I think my small head should be fin for now.. maybe. Only time will tell.

I have an AP helmet and can't wear my glasses ... Ā For the moment ! Ā I'm trying to install permanently an old pair of glasses inside, and it works partially ... Ā I can see through the glasses but I had to bend the frame so the lenses are not aligned correctly and it gives me headaches. Ā I'm still working on it because I can't stand contact lenses for more than an hour.

Ap bucket and I cannot wear my glasses. Luckily I really only need the glasses for distance vision, so within trooping vision distances, I have had no issues.Ā 

I have a TK armor set that I am working on now, I can't wear my regular glasses but I can wear my shades. the shades are more formfitting to my head, And I have a mellon 7 5/8 fitted cap.

I have not tried this in my bucket because I am still putting things together but perhaps these may work.

Ā 

http://spectaclekits.com/brands/scott

Ā 

Just pop in lenses and secure inside the bucket. Ā I use this with my air mask when fighting fires and they work great.

Ā 

zennioptical.com has really cheap prices on prescription glasses. Ā Order up a pair that has the same shape as the frames and replace.

Ā 

Hope this helps,

Aaron

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The other option is using an old pair of glasses (hopefully, with a somewhat current prescription), removing the side temples, and just attaching the frame front (with the Rx lenses) to the inside of the bucket with velcro right at the bridge of the frames.

• 1 month later...

So it's about that time for me...Ā  I've got just about to the point where I'm TRYING to put my glasses on then putting on the helmet and it NOT going so well.Ā  IF ANYONE has seen another post on this topic, PLEASE put a link below as I am about at my wits end...

Ā 

Ā 

OK, so for me that not a long way to go but still...Ā Ā Ā  Grin...

Ā 

Ā 

Dan

• 7 months later...

I don't think it is impossible, after all, firefighters, rig workers, ect all deal with his. When I worked in the oil patch, we had to mask up occasionally. Since I can't see far enough without my glasses to work safely, we kitted out with a pair similar to the kits mentioned above. Takes a bit to get used to, but usually just take a pair of old glasses that still work and slap them in, and boom! H2S ready!<br><br>

Taking this to the trooping? Thats gonna be my next hurdle, after the year of saving up for the kit!<br><br>

But good to know people are dealing with it, and worse comes to worse, I will redneck something up. Just will not be pretty. Besides, we aren't supposed to see anyway! Just here to look cool, right?

• 8 months later...

My bucket is AP and I have a old set of glasses (minus arms)Ā mountedĀ inside my bucket. They are bent a little to fit the contours of the helmet, and I have no issues with them. Full vision, no headaches.

If you have a copy of your current prescription, you can order a cheap pair of glasses and remove the temples to mount them in the bucket.Ā  (frameless glasses, or at least glasses with a thin wireframe, might be a good choice here, so it's easier to position and bend if needed, and less stuff in the bucket in general)Ā 

Ā 

I have not yet done this myself (it's easier for me to just troop without my glasses as my sight is not THAT bad, and I'm not driving while in armor!) but I've seen others do it (such as Brad, above, clearly), and plan to do so.

Ā 

I've ordered from eyebuydirect.com, personally, and found their glasses to be quite good, and the prices are stupendous.Ā  The frames are kinda cheap compared to expensive glasses, but that's the whole point, here, right?Ā  Under $30 for a simple pair of prescription glasses, shipped.

Ā 

No connection to the company, just a satisfied customer.

Edited by kman

Kalani's solution sounds pretty good.Ā  If you are handy modifying a bucket, most fan-sculpts (AP, ATA, etc.) can be made to be bigger or smaller in how you trim/assemble them. I have multiple ATA helmets, and some I can get my glasses in on, and some not, depending on who built it.

Ā 

Having a set of lenses in the bucket seems a no-brainer to me.

• Like 1

I installed the lenses of a gas mask (a leftover from my military career) into my bucket.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020
  • Like 3