A tall guy's MTK build

Hey guys! I've got a similar thread on the Florida Garrison forum, but I thought I might post here since it looks like there's quite a bit more traffic. I'm a Rebel Legion member, but looking to get a TK done for 501st membership too.

I know that Rt-mod kits are the best for tall guys, but they seems exceptionally tough to get ahold of. Was able to get an MTK kit delivered, and have been working on it some. The real issue is that I'm 6'4" and 250lbs. I thought my weight might also be an issue, but actually seems fine (and I've lost 15lbs since December on my "TK Diet" ).

As you can see here, my main mod is going to be to lengthen the torso. I even have a TON of material at the bottom of the chest plate still. I've done some research, and haven't been able to find a good example of somebody solving this problem. So I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for me.

05.jpg

I was able to find an awesome 2'x4' sheet of ABS to help:

04.jpg

What I'm thinking is to do the 'cod cut' separation between the cod and ab plate. Then link in a strip of ABS in-between, which  I'll try to cover with the belt. Just wondering if the belt will lay right, and how that may affect the match-up with the pieces on the back.

I'm thinking about using the ab plate as a template to cut some wood pieces and make a jig like this:

06.jpg

07.jpg

Then I could use a heat gun to lay the new ABS strip and mold it to a similar contour as the cod and ab pieces.

I did some searching but haven't been able to find anything exactly like what I was thinking. The Florida Garrison guys said I ought to stop by here and see what you guys think.

Hey Brandon,

I don't think that chest piece needs to be that high up, you can lower that.  Maybe you can also make the cut at the cod and expand it by shimming it? hopefully the belt can cover the expansion.

Try looking under the EIB requests to see if you can see someone your size with your armor type.

Hopefully an expert can help you better.

Agree with Starfox, chest piece can sit lower, also the neck seal will alter how it sits.

We have a similar problem with a tall trooper in our garrison, we have left as much length in the shoulder bridges as possible and are in the process of splitting the cod and adding a shim otherwise it looked like your earlier photo with a gap between the chest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel your pain!  I am just about the same size as you and ran into some of the same issues.  My problem is most of my height (and girth) is in my torso so I have to really watch out for that gap between the chest and ab.  The chest can definitely come down some  since the back of the shoulder straps are floating.  Luckily I did not have to split the cod piece but I do not have much room to play.  I am not sure about the MTK kit because I was able to use the AM.  I know RT-Mod makes bigger stuff but the guy who helped me said he has never seen a bigger set of TK.  I think I am walking that fine line between "wow, that is a big intimidating Stormtrooper" and "whoa, the Empire is really letting their physical standards slide" :-)  Anyway, best of luck and know that it can be done for us bigger guys.

Hey Brandon, check out the Florida garrisons southwest region, they seem to have a lot of armor parties, Im sure you guys can get together and get it built up no problems! 

Yeah, I actually started out by posting this thread over there, but the people I know locally figured I'd just get more experience with that torso length on this board. The Tampa region 501st and RL people are really cool folks. There's an armor party posted for this coming weekend, but I'm not sure since its almost 2hrs from me.

Been busy this week but got a bit more done. Shins are all together except for committing on the rear seam/velcro. Got the thighs mostly trimmed last night. I'm thinking maybe I can get most of the big trimming work done and bring it to that armor party this weekend to get second opinions before i commit on sizing (rear seams).

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit more progress. I read toybiz's build thread where he did this, so I thought I might post up my results if it helps anyone else down the road.

As everyone knows, the MTK kit has some really odd biceps. The right one is good, but the left one is really oval-shaped, making it look huge if you size it so the skinnier side fits.

08.jpg

A 3" PVC pipe coupler is pretty much the exact perfect size, and is really stiff. See how the bicep pieces are a much tighter curve:

09.jpg

I tightened down some heavy zip-ties to wrap the half-complete bicep around the pipe coupler. I wrapped up a shop towel a couple of times to put in-between, so the ziptie wouldn't leave an impression when I cinched it up pretty tight:

10.jpg

11.jpg

I boiled up a pot of water, where the water line really only went half-way up the bicep. Brought it up to where it was just starting to boil, but not really a full rolling boil. Moved the pot off the burner, and sat the bicep into it. Left it until the water was still pretty hot, but wouldn't burn my hands. Pulled it out, just so it would cool faster. Once it was totally cool, I pulled off the zip-ties.

12.jpg

Now the bicep is awesomely round, and matches the other side just fine.

Edited by wh1plash
  • Like 2

I'm wondering how the shins work for you. I'm only 6' but a lot of leg, and I've never gotten ATA/TE2 - which are similar to MTK to fit. In the end I swap them out with RT shins. Some day it would be great to get some longer TM legs - though I'm not sure how close the plastic would match.

And yes, most people I know who are taller cut the cod and add a spacer which is hidden behind the belt.

• 2 weeks later...

Been slow going, but got some more progress on the helmet. Took my time on fitting the ears, and it seems to have paid off. Pretty happy with it so far. Also got my ESB-correct decal kit.

Have a job interview out of state in a week, so I'm sure it'll even be slower-going if I'm moving.

14.jpg

Edited by wh1plash

Your bucket looks good (even if it is ESB!) Great job on those ears too! I agree with the others...shim where your belt will go and remember the top of your belt sits right under the button plate. The chest plate can come down as your bucket will cover a lot. You will have better head movement as well.