TrainWreck's Daughter's Sabine Wren WIP

So I started working on my 12 year old's Sabine costume.

I have only done really basic stuff so far.

I used these templates plus the shoulder bell off a TK pepakura file to cut the armor out in foam:

IMAG2929.jpg

I also got a pepakura file for a Death Watch blaster and have cut and glued that together (still a lot of work to do on these):

IMAG2936.jpg

IMAG2937.jpg

I recently have started using a 3D printer at my local library so I gave a shot at modeling the helmet for a 3D print.  Please note the helmet is my work but the range finder is not.  I just grabbed one on line, threw some extra greeblies on it, and used it in the photos.  I still need to model a more accurate one for the helmet.

sabine1.jpg

It's not perfect (I had a "she is 12, that's good enough" moment).  One of the things I'll have to do is sand down that ridge that runs around the top of the helmet.  Also I have noticed that everyone seems to include the usual indentation in the cheeks of the helmet but Sabin's doesn't have those.  Here are some of the reference photos I used while working on the helmet to prove that point (some I scavenged on line, some are screen shots I took):

sabinefront.jpg

AviaryPhoto_130637822030251709.png

AviaryPhoto_130637818396910577.png

AviaryPhoto_130637820890854071.png

AviaryPhoto_130637824432303428.png

rangefinder.jpg

Any hoo.  It will be a while before I see any of the helmet.  It is going to be printed in quarters and since it is a large print and I'm using a service at the library I'll have to wait a while.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I'll try to keep this updated.  I'm hoping to have it done by March before my TD armor arrives and I dive into that but I always have a dozen projects going and since I'm still a big novice at this foam work I'm trying to get my head around how to proceed.  Unfortunately the helmet probably won't be fully printed out until at least the end of February. 

• 1 month later...

So a friend happened by the library and noticed that the front of my daughter's Sabine helmet was done.  The first pic is one he took for me the second was one I took with my daughter.  It's a bit large for her but Sabine has a bobble head anyway and she can grow into it.  He was having issues getting the back to print out so I just sent him edited files that will hopefully work out better:

image1.jpg

IMAG3096.jpg

Sweet!! I too am starting to build this for my 7yr old I used a pvc elbow for the shoulders just cut from the bend part. The soft parts is what I'm having trouble finding specifically the pants

2F8AE28A-46B2-4CEA-A98D-B3AF0AD9CC2C_zps

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. Now...

STOP!

Bondo Time!

IMAG3287.jpg

IMAG3288.jpg

So on a side note, if you leave the orbital sander on a PLA 3D print for too long in one place you will melt the plastic a little. You do get to see the honeycomb structure underneath though...

IMAG3289.jpg

Then a quick coat of XTC 3D to smooth it out. It looks shinier and smoother than it really is. Once the epoxy dries tomorrow I'll sand it again and then hopefully do a rub-n-buf layer.

IMAG3290.jpg

Edited by TrainWreck

• 3 months later...