Joblesspunk's Ap Stormtrooper Build

JoblessPunk

all built on a 2 foot by 4 foot folding card table 

Then theres hope! I'll try to designate a small work space in my apartment. 

Good idea Brian, I use a couple myself for that same purpose.

I'd love to help you out Tim but I live in Brentwood, can you say MOOOOO!   :laugh1:

Not a problem, but thank you for the offer :)

my room is few and far between with 3 kids, 3 cats, 1 dog, a rabbit and a wife who takes up the entire damn garage with her car! lol

lol, I have no kids, or pets, but my girlfriend that lives with me. Hopefully I can convince her to let me make a huge mess in one area of our apartment for a bit ;)

I was lucky enough to use the dining table for the sewing. That piece of furniture is mainly a "NO GO" for anything except food and school work   :laugh1:

nice! I think I'm going to buy a small card table and work there. I think I know of an area in my apartment that I can occupy. 

I hope im not the only one on this but with the permission from my awesome wife, I worked on mine on my dining table, also had a little mini folding table to do my cuts. For starters just focus on 1 thing you want to work on, you dont need to take everything out to do it.

We should be meeting on the 7th, if you can make it (can also ask for a ride), i can try to help you out at the meet up spot.

7th of February?

I think that works in my schedule.

I have a car and can drive (and pick you up if needed). Feel free to PM me more info :)

Edited by joblesspunk

So I think the first parts I will be working on are the Calf or Forearm. 

But first I'll need to buy a table, and clear out a space in my apartment.

Side note: This weekend is the Supernatural SF Convention, so I wont be starting this until next week.

This should give me plenty of time to get all I need to start building :)

If anyone has helpful links/videos/photos/guidance on assembling these parts it would be greatly appreciated.

I've also gathered some information myself, but a helping hand is always welcome.

Thank you again everyone! 

Another little helpful tip, buy a piece of press wood, similar to particle board but much smoother. Make it the size of the table you buy. Makes a great cutting board, basically protect the card table. 

Have fun with the build. Show pics. There will be a garrison meeting, Feb. 7, in Santa Clara, at St. Johns Bar(bar and hamburger) Go to the GGG forum for the time. Unfortunately, I will be out of town that week.

Another little helpful tip, buy a piece of press wood, similar to particle board but much smoother. Make it the size of the table you buy. Makes a great cutting board, basically protect the card table. 

Great idea, thank you, I'll pick up a sheet of wood from Home Depot.

Have fun with the build. Show pics. There will be a garrison meeting, Feb. 7, in Santa Clara, at St. Johns Bar(bar and hamburger) Go to the GGG forum for the time. Unfortunately, I will be out of town that week.

Thank you for this info. 

I don't think I have access to the whole GGG forum at this time.

Do I have to contact someone to gain access to the whole GGG forum?

You have to have your armor 501st approved to get full access on the GGG forum. So get it done!!!! Once you've done that, and officially approved, just "bumped"/email the GGG staff or Mike Morrison(Web Master), that you need full access, if it does not happen asap.

GGG meeting is on Feb. 7th, Saturday at St John's Bar & Grill  (www.stjohnsgrill.com),  510 Lawrence Expressway #110, Sunnyvale, CA 94086,  (408) 738-8515, time: 11:30pm to 2:00pm

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All, 

Sorry for so long without an update, life has been busy ^_^

I haven’t made much progress, still here’s some photos:

v4vrWU1.jpg

I haven't had time to actually build anything yet, but I test fit the armor to make sure I didn't need any shims. From the looks of it, I think the armor fits pretty well? considering its just all head together by blue tape  ^_^

Front: 

EI64SH9.jpg

Left:

bvMjLpD.jpg

Right:

A6wiAM8.jpg

Back:

SN9HfIf.jpg

* I know, I need to trim the kidney plate off the posterior armor.

Taking Polar and ukswrath advice I went out this weekend and bought a card table and some wood:

cTiWZjK.jpg

I do have some some questions: 

1.) Reading the Centurion level on the 501st.com, is it ok to velcro the back side of the Lower Leg Armor and the Forearms? I'm not sure I could fit my feet into the lower leg armor if I seal both sides. 

2.) For Centurion level, I only see that the Tears/traps need to be hand painted, would it be ok to use stickers for the blue tube stripes?

3.) I need to trim the kidney plate off the posterior armor, right? 

4.) Chin Paint Template? Its kind of hard to see where I really need to paint, I was wondering if there was a stencil to print out and follow? 

Thanks again everyone for the help so far! Hopefully I'll find some more time to make some actual progress!

Edited by joblesspunk

You have to have your armor 501st approved to get full access on the GGG forum. So get it done!!!! Once you've done that, and officially approved, just "bumped"/email the GGG staff or Mike Morrison(Web Master), that you need full access, if it does not happen asap.

GGG meeting is on Feb. 7th, Saturday at St John's Bar & Grill  (www.stjohnsgrill.com),  510 Lawrence Expressway #110, Sunnyvale, CA 94086,  (408) 738-8515, time: 11:30pm to 2:00pm

Thank you for this information!

Look out for a PM from me. 

Hey Tim,

Any updates?

Been super busy, but hopefully I'll have some extra time these next few weekends. Thanks for checking in though, a little kick in the butt to continue working is always good  ^_^
Edited by joblesspunk

I do have some some questions: 

1.) Reading the Centurion level on the 501st.com, is it ok to velcro the back side of the Lower Leg Armor and the Forearms? I'm not sure I could fit my feet into the lower leg armor if I seal both sides. 

2.) For Centurion level, I only see that the Tears/traps need to be hand painted, would it be ok to use stickers for the blue tube stripes?

3.) I need to trim the kidney plate off the posterior armor, right? 

4.) Chin Paint Template? Its kind of hard to see where I really need to paint, I was wondering if there was a stencil to print out and follow? 

1. The forearms are fully enclosed (glued at the front and back). But the shins are only glued at the front, and open at the back.

2. Yes, you can use stickers, but they need to recreate a handpainting feeling. Trooperbay has them if you look for some.

3. You are right.

4. No template here, just have a look at originals and try to match it.

E.g:

med_gallery_12157_15_4793.jpg med_gallery_12157_15_42639.jpg

Edited by The5thHorseman
  • Like 1

Great job Tim keep up the good work.

Funny thing, every time I see someone trial their armor with tape I always think of the Wizard of Oz tin man  :), not to mention, what ever you do DON'T SNEEZE!  :laugh1:

Also, to help answer your #4 question, if you want head over to my Centurion request and look at my helmet. I had a professional builder assembly my ATA helmet just to see what an accurately built helmet should look like. There's some good pics there for you to reference.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29743-tk-10116-requesting-anh-stunt-centurion-status-ata144/

Hope to see you next Saturday.

Edited by ukswrath

1. The forearms are fully enclosed (glued at the front and back). But the shins are only glued at the front, and open at the back.

2. Yes, you can use stickers, but they need to recreate a handpainting feeling. Trooperbay has them if you look for some.

3. You are right.

4. No template here, just have a look at originals and try to match it.

Thank you for this information, very, very helpful!

Great job Tim keep up the good work.

Funny thing, every time I see someone trial their armor with tape I always think of the Wizard of Oz tin man  :), not to mention, what ever you do DON'T SNEEZE!  :laugh1:

haha yep, that blue tape doesn't hold the suit together very long  ^_^

Also, to help answer your #4 question, if you want head over to my Centurion request and look at my helmet. I had a professional builder assembly my ATA helmet just to see what an accurately built helmet should look like. There's some good pics there for you to reference.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29743-tk-10116-requesting-anh-stunt-centurion-status-ata144/

Hope to see you next Saturday.

Thank you for this! 

I've been reviewing your submitted suit and taking notes  ^_^

And yep, this Saturday the 7th, my girlfriend and I should be there.

Please keep me in the loop if the time or place changes, I don't have access to that part of the GGG forums yet. 

Thank you for this information, very, very helpful!

haha yep, that blue tape doesn't hold the suit together very long  ^_^

Thank you for this! 

I've been reviewing your submitted suit and taking notes  ^_^

And yep, this Saturday the 7th, my girlfriend and I should be there.

Please keep me in the loop if the time or place changes, I don't have access to that part of the GGG forums yet. 

First off if you haven't done so already submit a application with the 501st >> http://www.501st.com/databank/Membership:JoinUs

Then if you haven't already registered with the GGG go here >> http://www.goldengategarrison.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=register

First off if you haven't done so already submit a application with the 501st >> http://www.501st.com/databank/Membership:JoinUs

Then if you haven't already registered with the GGG go here >> http://www.goldengategarrison.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=register

I can submit an application with the 501st without a completed suit? 

And I've registered with the GGG, but I think ( I could be wrong ), I have only access to the general part of the GGG forum. Once I have my suit completed and submitted, then I can request membership and full access to the GGG forums?

I can submit an application with the 501st without a completed suit? 

And I've registered with the GGG, but I think ( I could be wrong ), I have only access to the general part of the GGG forum. Once I have my suit completed and submitted, then I can request membership and full access to the GGG forums?

I don't remember having that issue for some reason. Hang on a sec Tim

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong  :huh:

Hey Tim, as far as the tears/traps and tube stripes, I ordered painting templates from Trooperbay.  That way, they will be actually "hand painted", without the copious amounts of diet Mountain Dew I consume affecting my dexterity.  I may have to go cold turkey for a week before attempting the ear bar trim, though... :D   I start my build next Wednesday, and looking forward to yours!

Hey Tim, as far as the tears/traps and tube stripes, I ordered painting templates from Trooperbay.  That way, they will be actually "hand painted", without the copious amounts of diet Mountain Dew I consume affecting my dexterity.  I may have to go cold turkey for a week before attempting the ear bar trim, though... :D   I start my build next Wednesday, and looking forward to yours!

Thank you for pointing our the painting templates on Trooperbay! 

I was thinking of complicated ways to tape up the tube stripes, and then boom, its all ready done for me  ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All  ^_^

Sorry its been a while, I've been quite busy. 

Today I found some time to work on some cover strips for the my left thigh and my left for forearm. I haven't glued anything yet, I think I'm going to make all the cover strips and final trims to the armor before applying the glue. 

99x7zQG.jpg

wPEWsDV.jpg

swAItdj.jpg

R8HHGwL.jpg

qKAtJM0.jpg

More to come next time I find some time! 

Hey All,

I found some more time this week to work on my Stormtrooper armor!

I believe all the cover strips are done! I also painted the inside of my helmet black with PlastiDip. My hope is this week I can knock the helmet out and glue each part day-by-day (I only have enough clamps/magnets to do one part at a time). 

Please have a look and let me know if anything looks out of place. I still have to do some minor trimming on all the parts, but I think I mostly got it all there. 

CukpL8H.jpg

P.S. Does anyone have and/or sell longer helmet screws?

The ones I got fit, but I plan on using the screws to keep the lenses in place and a chin strap… so I need them a bit longer to hold it all. Anyone know where I can find some?

Lookin good so far! You should be able to find screws at any hardware store.

Thanks!

I went to Home Depot today and I couldn't find flat head screws like the ones I have :/ 

I have an Orchard Supply Hardware near me too, so I'll have to check that place out next.