Ghoulcinder

Ghoulcinder's Doopys Build

I received this pretty little kit on Christmas, very happy with it, was overexcited and wanted to start straight away!
I've done quite a bit of work on the blaster, assembled the majority of it, now awaiting a 
a scope I've ordered, a D-ring and a hengstler conversion kit which has a real 6 digit counter and reset button.
Allllssoooo I've managed to get my hand on Sterling magazine, very excited about that one :D

Here's what I've done so far.

Here's the nice Doopys kit laid out entirely, some little errors in the resin of course, but that was to be expected.
Rather bothered with some detailing so I'm most certainly modding this one.

oWkUp5E.jpg

I decided to start with a spring first, this one looks a bit shambles, looks fairly alright when it's on the inside though, but I'll probably make a new one.

6aBeLlv.jpg

Iyr4z50.jpg

Onto the folding stock! Decided to put some nails in those, drilled a hole in the blaster itself as well of course, I must however say after playing with it for too many times 
it sort of has lost it's use, because of the wear and tear of the holes I drilled in the resin :P

hNGF8DU.jpg

qWPMQ6j.jpg

I then drilled out the terribly ugly resin blobs in the nozzle that are supposed to be bolts, and replaced them with bolts (hands have been burned on the hot metal after I removed the thread
with a dremel cutting tool), looks a lot better if I may say so  ^,^ 

Ua6y1rw.jpg

The image makes it look like the bolts aren't the same size, but I can assure you they are!

EvXbAl9.jpg

No clue what this is called, but I named it an ARS(e   :rolleyes:) pin (grow up already!), because, well you know, it points at either A, R or S.
I decapitated a nail, drilled the ARS pin and and glued it in with some loctite. (It's the safety, isn't it?)

cTeGXg8.jpg

Drilled a deep hole in the grip and put the entire bolt into it, I really couldn't be bothered to cut through another one. adds a nice weight to it as well.

Ja2befa.jpg

I started drilling out the holes on the bottom, I know you can't really see them anyway, but I felt like I had to do it, so done it is.
Yes, I did have a little screw up on the fifth one from the right...

1uKaqYc.jpg

I still need to carve that little bit of the top hole out, keep forgetting to do it, and my engraving bit went for a walk...

uLyfI5B.jpg

Ah little... well little... BIG... mistake... I'm never doing 1am gluing again, it's hard to get things straight when you're half asleep...

s9WKn5T.jpg

VICTORY!

hGSKNZt.jpg

However, sacrifices have been made...

sQxUC1M.jpg

And then I had a moment where I'd forgotten to take photos for a little while, so it's a sudden jump in progress unfortunately, damn enthusiasm! 

9Yan49j.jpg

Then I received these nice additions to the blaster from Mark Shearman, cheers mate!

0KMtl5e.jpg

The rail fits into the space perfectly!

bsW7Ql8.jpg
  • Like 1

The ARS is your selector switch. Are you using a real Sterling magazine? Nice progress so far!

Great start, and nearly finish! The pros (and cons) of not using pins to secure the mag housing. Had the glue been setting for long?

Ahh thank you Gazmosis! I'm using a real magazine indeed :)

Thank you Sith Lord! Aye indeed, the glue had set for ten hours or so, it was mostly the shape of the mag housing which made it hard to remove it again!

Edited by Ghoulcinder

Aah, always nice to see another DoopyDoo's full resin build. There is so much potential to these kits...

Are your power cylinders already glued onto the gun?

Yep, I've glued mine to the gun already. Didn't really want to mod these that much.
I initially wanted to build it fairly standard, but it's going to have quite a fair amount of mods already :P

Okay, so make sure you'll NOT read Andy's power cylinder research thread, because otherwise you'll want to remove these resin power cylinders immediately... :)

• Like 1

Thank you Rick! :)

I've made a little change,

I removed the icky looking resin blob that was originally there, and replaced them with actual rivets, looks a lot better now.

Sanded down

lHRe6Q5.jpg 

Drilled through

BDmho3A.jpg

Et voilà 

5bxKAON.jpg
PedLBdL.jpg

Will look good after painting when you start weathering and the silver heads will shine through... :duim:

Much better than an "icky blob" :D

@Tino I most certainly agree! I'm not sure yet whether I should have a metal coloured underlayer with black over it, or just black and dry brush, I'll have a think about it :)

@Gmrhodes Totally, hoping I can replace some more if the icky blobs on the blaster :P I want to replace the lock/free screw on the handle too, but I haven't found a suitable screw yet

Edited by Ghoulcinder

I've received the Sterling magazine today, very happy with it! :)

qND2tMz.jpg

WB82cie.jpg

mc2X8Au.jpg

That's going to need some work done  :rolleyes:

72EOvBf.jpg

Here the mag compared to a Doopys resin one

T1A590P.jpg

Edited by Ghoulcinder

Wow, it's gonna get interesting if that real part fits into the resin part... Good luck when hollowing the magazine housing, Bas

Cheers Tino! I most certainly do hope it's going to fit, try not to ruin the housing whilst hollowing. I need to find my engraving tool, makes it a bit easier.

Strongly consider your magazine housing. You will gave no choice but to hollow out the entire housing to a wall thickness of less than 2 mm. The magazine needs to set slightly into the main receiver slightly. My point is with the housing thinned out, this will leave little to no gluing surface.

I agree to what Steve said. Maybe it also helps to warm the resin part (in a hot water bath or heat gun) before inserting the magazine...

@Syllander I'll send you a PM in a minute!

@Gazmosis That's what I'm mostly worried about myself Steve, I think  I might trim the bit of the mag that's being insert slightly, so there's less hollowing required.

@T-jay I'll try that Tino, cheers for the tip!

Looking good, now that I've found your thread, I'll certainly follow along here as well as on FB.  ;)

Cheers Tim! Sorry, I've still not updated here, my MEPD thread is totally up-to-date, I just keep forgetting to update this one! 
I've done much as I'm waiting for a couple of parts and need to get another tool, I'll update soon :)

• Like 1

Right! I'm very sorry to keep you all waiting, I've been rather busy lately, and I've simply forgotten to update this thread... (uh oh...)
If you want to stay  %100 up-to-date with my progress, you're best off following my Docking Bay 94 V2 Sergeant Build on the MEPD.

Here we go then!

Firstly, I little while I received this little beauty from Blue Snaggletooth, thanks mate! I'm very happy with it!

TOMwpWF.jpg

Dc5OmO7.jpg

I'm hoping to secure 40213 as my legion ID, fingers crossed and hope no one nicks it!

wD3bSmZ.jpg

Now of course, I need to exterminate the other half of the resin Hengstler, couldn't think of a way to do it, Dremel probably wouldn't be cut out for it,

so I decided to go with a little saw I got in my kit with knives. It worked, but it wasn't pleasant...

Cwdr3cc.jpg

I can say, my finger didn't enjoy the pressure applied on it!

W11D3yG.jpg

And victory!

jLkNxc7.jpg

And all glued together now, looking good I think!

q2xTqWN.jpg

Now the bolt of the blaster, I decided ABS would be a good idea, alas it was indeed.
A bit of scrap from trimming my lid!

jHDJpxH.jpg

Then I plonked it in boiling water, left it for 2 minutes, and then bent it on the drum stick I used to create the spring.

hXjZY8B.jpg

Not too bad I reckon, not entirely satisfactory to what I'd prefer, but not bad! I cut it too short so had to glue it to another 

bit of abs, I used the glue I used for scale modelling, and god that bonds the ABS good! I went with some milliput over it afterwards, to exterminate

the seem. Need to sand it still.

cKVoqeu.jpg

Aye, it's a bit wonky, but you can't see it anyway.

LaSrDvp.jpg

I've sanded this out, as it was unsightly...

I9KTt7Q.jpg

D-ring!

uwzlOiT.jpg

The end cap clip added to it, looking good I think.

DROaBtq.jpg

I'm looking forward to painting it, to be honest! That's going to take quite a bit longer as I'm still waiting for some parts.
I'm thinking of selling it when I'm done, as funding for my TD. I want to build a Bapty as it is, so I won't be using it!

Now, unfortunately once this blaster is done, I won't be really active anymore on the FISD, I've decided to build a Sandtrooper. 
If you're interested you can of course follow me on the MEPD! 

That's it for now folks, thanks for watching! :D