Mutter's NE ANH Stunt Build

Steve, I see what you're saying.  Originally, I had the ab and kidney sections aligned at the top

IMG_6385_zpsgdgwuopd.jpg

This caused the misalignment you mentioned.  When I line up the horizontal line that goes across the ab with the top of the kidney notch it throws off the alignment at the top of the kidney and ab plates which should be an "easy" fix. It will also allow the back plate to sit better on the butt plate.

I need to clean up the cut line a bit near the edge of the ab plate, but you should get the general idea.  The shaded parts will be removed.

IMG_6387_zpsjyaogjm4.jpg

How's it look?

I've been playing around wearing my helmet from time to time while I do my build (like who hasn't done this) and I've never had a problem fitting it over my huge melon of a head.  Until, that is, I added the S-trim.  Evidently, I had just enough clearance without the trim.  With the trim, there's no way of wearing it so I'll need to trim about 5mm from the back edge and about 2-3 mm from the front mask.

IMG_6373_zpsntiseqwm.jpg

I'm hoping this won't affect the appearance when the S-trim is installed.

Greg, just a silly question before you are going to cut off anything on that helmet:

When adding the S-trim and trying to put it on, did you do that like with a motorcycle helmet? Or did you turn it by 90 degrees, so you were looking at your ear screws while getting into it?

Know it sounds really mad to ask, just want to be sure it is not that simple issue...

Hey Greg, here's how I cut the ab / kidney / butt plates of my kit:

Butt plate trimming:

9kVUoeQ.jpg

GzJIz0B.jpg

I ended up trimming more from that return edge on each side, which really helped with a flaring issue I was having when connecting the butt plate to the bottom of the kidney.  Here's how I cut the tab on the butt plate also:

WB1QKz7.jpg

I did quite a bit of trimming on the top and bottom of the ab and kidney to get a nice clean connection.  

CyyHwMV.jpg

I didn't get that ab line on the ab to line up with the top of the kidney notch.  I lined up the top of both the ab and kidney, and got the fit you see.   If I had tried to line up that ab line with the notch on the kidney, there would have been quite a bit of trimming off the top of the kidney plate for me, and I'm not sure I would have wanted that.  I didn't get that piece of advice when I got to this point, but the fit is fine for me the way I constructed it.  You may have better luck.  Notice I also flattened out the transition between the top part of the ab and kidney.  I actually removed the return edge completely up there to get a nice flat transition.  It fits nicely against my body and looks good as well.  I did the same thing at the top of the kidney / ab connection on the right side as well.

Here's how it looks all together:

37rVU17.jpg

57x4v9f.jpg

Can't see that lineup because it's under the belt.

• Like 1

Tino, Ian, I'd rather you ask the silly question(s) than assume I'm smart ;-). But yes, I turned it 90 degrees. The S trim is plenty long enough. There's about an extra 6 inches.

Ron, thanks for the pics. I trimmed the access on the butt plate the same way you did. I appreciate the pic of the tab on the butt plate too. I was wondering where that cutoff would be. I was going to use some reference pictures as well.

I understand what Steve was pointing out. My concern is if I raise the kidney up to match the crease on the ab plate, I'll have to move the butt plate up an inch or so too. Need to make sure my a$$ isn't hanging out of the bottom if I do that. I already planned on flattening the join between the back and kidney plates so that's not a big deal.

Tino, Ian, I'd rather you ask the silly question(s) than assume I'm smart ;-). But yes, I turned it 90 degrees. The S trim is plenty long enough. There's about an extra 6 inches.

LOL. Yes, never assume someone is smart  :) . At least you were smart enough to realise you're bucket wasn't big enough before cutting the S trim to size. Someone (me) wasn't...

OK, so I'm using the picture Steve provided above as my guide.  Here's what I did:

right%20side%20ab_zps8kz3uad6.jpg

Drew my lines

IMG_6399_zpse1x4yhmn.jpg

Gave it a curve

IMG_6407_zpsr1chrf4u.jpg

(damn photobucket resizing!)

and then cut it

IMG_6412_zpsxobnekem.jpg

Added the trim

IMG_6414_zps8zzfmsbw.jpg

Fit to the kidney plate

IMG_6417_zpsu348occ5.jpg

I reversed the picture and repeated the same thing for the other side

left%20side%20ab_zpsmk8q5vea.jpg

IMG_6400_zps5trwtgrz.jpg

IMG_6413_zpsixhhf5fh.jpg

IMG_6415_zps4lnkqh8m.jpg

What do you think? Any and all feedback/criticism is welcomed.

Thanks for the feedback Nick. I'm going to remove the excess material across the top of the kidney plate and create a new return edge.

Edited by Mutter

Greg, I would not trim the kidney. Just line up the parts like you had them.

nekidney_zpsb9219bbc.jpg 

Trim it like this and don't worry about the back piece not lining up with kidney. When you where the armor it will line up perfectly.

In order to align the top of the ab and kidney plates, I had to remove about 1/2 inch and left 3/8 inch for a return edge.

IMG_6422_zpsmlohwusl.jpg

IMG_6421_zpsdslei4ch.jpg

IMG_6425_zpsvyl4dkkf.jpg

IMG_6427_zpsihwpelub.jpg

Excess removed and return edge line drawn

IMG_6429_zpsuwd3qec2.jpg

Now came the harder part, creating the return edge.  This was the first time really using the sealing iron. 

IMG_6431_zps6y0xchn5.jpg

Not too shabby for a first timer.  I still need to go back and sand and smooth it more.

IMG_6433_zpsajoixsmy.jpg

The left side is a little too long, my OCD is acting up.  When I trim the side of the abs I'll see how it looks then.

IMG_6436_zpsezkhqnc3.jpg

I like the way the right side turned out.

IMG_6435_zpshrfamxqg.jpg

Comments/suggestions?

The back plate has some "extra' curves and flares I'm not too fond of.  My plan was to remove the areas that are shaded in pencil.  The dotted lines represent where the new return edges would be placed.

IMG_6438_zpsxti6jut7.jpg

IMG_6439_zps1tsec5qt.jpg

IMG_6443_zpsb4j6qjdc.jpg

IMG_6440_zps57ky6vca.jpg

IMG_6442_zpsj5yfzapt.jpg

And I trimmed the butt piece

IMG_6418_zps24rlh2qi.jpg

IMG_6420_zpsmpvucsap.jpg

IMG_6419_zpstfvorobg.jpg

I may need to uncurl this a bit, lol.  It does look a little, um, say, extreme?

IMG_6444_zpstveianai.jpg

That about wraps up my progress to date.  As always, your feedback is eagerly welcomed.

Edited by Mutter

Your return looks nice, but thats a lot of extra work.  It may have been easier to trim the ab piece,  Thats what I did. I know its to late but, this may help someone else building NE kit.  Im kind of tall and trimming the kidney would be out of the question.

neab1_zps70cfff8c.jpg

As for the back,

neback2_zps9e1a5b39.jpg

I see your looking at screen shots, thats the best way to trim your armor.

I appreciate the compliment, Ty.  Go for it!

Thanks, Nick.  I thought about trimming the lower portion of the ab instead and yes, it would have been a lot less work to do, but the notch in the kidney is suppose to align with the crease in the ab.  I'm attempting to make this accurate but perhaps it's a case of new guy enthusiasm.  Besides, it's all covered by the belt anyways. Next time, I'd probably go with trimming the ab instead.

The red line you drew is very helpful.  Looking at more reference pics/screen shots, the back does need to have that slight curve to it.  Just to make sure, that's the cut line you drew, correct?

OK, so here is the new line I'm going to cut for the back plate.  Removing some of the extra return edge should allow it to sit better on my back.  You can see this in one of the below pics

IMG_6478_zps1pvmungv.jpg

I'll make sure the return edge is even, it looks a little off to me.

I did a dry fit on the armor made so far. Here are the pics (excuse the morning hair please :P )

IMG_6452_zpsikroe1tn.jpg

IMG_6459_zps8x4cuvsx.jpg

IMG_6457_zpssvn4ofpm.jpg

IMG_6455_zpsjdkjofcd.jpg

So, what do you guys think?

Edited by Mutter
  • Like 2

You can notice in the pic above, that at the top of the back plate where it meets the chest plate at the shoulder, there is a bit too much of a curve and doesn't allow it to sit cleanly. Out came the trusty heat gun.

Before

IMG_6461_zpswor8pubv.jpg

After

IMG_6465_zpscswn46bl.jpg

Before

IMG_6462_zpsekhhhglr.jpg

After

IMG_6464_zps8ynvxjts.jpg

Sits much better now

IMG_6471_zps8yzpfyvy.jpg

IMG_6472_zpsxegelxn9.jpg

The butt plate was also flaring out a bit on the sides. Used the heat gun on that too.

IMG_6447_zpsmf8qferm.jpg

IMG_6446_zps2re5xm1g.jpg

IMG_6480_zpsctmkfcty.jpg

IMG_6479_zpswghqwiim.jpg

That's it for today.  Off to Tandy Leather for some supplies for my daughter's Jawa costume.

• Like 1

Greg, I think you are doing a great job and heading in the right direction. The heat gun does wonders for sure. 

In fact I need to do exactly what you did to your shoulder back plate connects on my NE TK and TD...... I just fitted that back plate over my shoulder with my current strapping.....although it looks right when I'm standing straight as an arrow.....when I move the space between my kidney and back plates expands to an inaccurate space.....so great job on that.   

Good job on fixing that butt plate side flare out too.....I like where you're going with your build

You are braver than I am Greg!  I would have been more of a nervous wreck than I was if I had done some of the modifications you have.  I held my breath when you cut the top of the kidney off and put on a new return edge!   :)  It certainly looks good!

In the past, I have suggested to people to get the straps in place before doing any heat gun modifications, because pieces sit differently when they're securely in place vs. tape.  Make sure to re-check all your fitting once you get a permanent strapping system in place.

The trimming lines on your back plate look good.  I chickened out and didn't trim my back plate all the way.  I'm still concerned that when I do it it will throw off the entire fit of my top half, so I'm still procrastinating doing it.  Make sure you check out your fit again after you remove the return edge pieces you're cutting, to make sure your shoulder fit isn't thrown off. It seems like your shoulder tabs on the back plate were bent much more than mine are.  I can certainly see why you wanted to heat bend them to have less of a curve.  Here's a closeup of what mine look like:

v2mZmrZ.jpg

mYXoC3M.jpg

One other suggestion - from here on, make sure you're wearing your undersuit when doing all of your fitting.  That's what will really tell you how the fit with everything is.  I also suggest to get the top half of your armor completely strapped up before you start to do any trimming on your cod and thigh pieces to get those to fit properly.  Everything gets pulled this way and that once you get it all strapped up and you'll have a better idea how the bottom half will match up once the strapping is in place for the butt / ab / kidney / back / chest plates.

One other thing I noticed - it seems the shoulder tab on the back plate is a little lower on the left side than on the right side.  I'm not sure how an adjustment could be done, but you may try to get the over-all backplate to sit up a little closer to your neck.

gallery_14191_17_6136.jpg

Edited by maxsteele

Thanks, Anthony.  I'm hoping to make the ECG proud of their new recruit  :smiley-sw013:  Removing the curve in the shoulder tab made a world of difference in how the back plate fit and hugged my back.  I highly recommend it!

Thank you, Ron.  I don't know about braver, perhaps more foolish or naive :P .  As I said earlier, I probably wouldn't do it again.  As I feared, because the butt plate was raised about 3/4 inch, the bottom of my butt is hanging out slightly (not a sight to see, trust me!).  Oh well, I'll figure it out later. 

I have been wearing the undersuit each time I fit the armor.  I take it off though when I'm working so it doesn't get cut or covered in plastic dust.  I'm done now with the torso section until I get the strapping together for the exact reason you mentioned.  Onto the shins.  AND they have ridge lines, WOOHOO!!!!

The left shoulder tab was lower. Thanks for pointing that out.  I've addressed the issue via heat gun.  Unfortunately, the shoulder tabs on the back plate don't reach as high as yours.  The curve in your tabs fit nicely on your shoulders.  Lucky!  I guess my torso is a bit longer.  I'm waiting to see how it all fits together once the strapping is in place then I'll take it from there.