Using Plasti Dip for the interior

TK852

Cheesecloth is several pieces. Its more for looks, but it also gives the helmet a little more heft, plus it gives the illusion of a 1 piece helmet instead of just a buncha plastic.

Also, industrial strength velcro adheres pretty darn good to the finish, just don't attempt to unstick it and move it or the finish will come up with it. I did 1 heavy coat of plastidip/cheesecloth, the 2 more coats of just plastidip to finish it off. Smell was gone in a day and was completely wearable

• Like 4

I had a thought today about spraying with plastidip. If I have already cut out my frown and eyes, etc. what is the benefit to taping stuff off? Why not just spray and retrim the new plastdip. If it comes off so easily and doesn't leave any residue behind.

I had a thought today about spraying with plastidip. If I have already cut out my frown and eyes, etc. what is the benefit to taping stuff off? Why not just spray and retrim the new plastdip. If it comes off so easily and doesn't leave any residue behind.

Taping off sections will take less time than getting the over spay off the outside of your bucket. Especially between the teeth and corners of the eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a bit of an older thread, but if anyone can answer these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. At what stage would you do this?  (After what, and before what)

2. Because it's a spray, did you guys tape up your helmet like crazy beforehand?

Thanks!

EDIT:  My bad, for some reason I didn't see these following pages.  You guys have already answered all of my questions including great pics etc.  Thanks! 

Edited by MechaPumpkin

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would it be more beneficial to spray first before trimming and everything, if you haven't started your helmet already? Seems like a good first step for those wanting to do this and just getting their kits in.

I have the same question, is there a reason you shouldn't paint the interior before cutting teeth and eyes?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I taped everything off after trimming to keep from getting the dip on unwanted areas. As for trimming after, you might be able to with a REALLY SHARP blade. The Plasti Dip is very elasticy and makes it a little hard to cut. Industrial Velcro sticks VERY well to the plasti Dip and could/will pull the Palsti Dip away like fuumantroop said. 

• Like 1

Plasti Dip is very easy to work will. Cleanup is similar to e6000. I had over spray on my frown and eyes and the took a clean rag and it rubs right off.

Edited by cjdesign

Would it be more beneficial to spray first before trimming and everything, if you haven't started your helmet already? Seems like a good first step for those wanting to do this and just getting their kits in.

Yes, but you can damage the plasti dip finish during the assembly process. It can chip/scrape very easy.

Edited by cjdesign

I used plasti dip spray can (matte black) and I am really happy with the results.

Rafe,  Can I ask  how you got it to come out so smooth?  Others I've seen, the bucket interior looks very dimpled and NOT smooth.  Your's looks fantastic!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

This looks GREAT !   And WHERE did you get the trim for your bucket ? I CAN NOT even see the seam !!!

Dan

I used the brush method once completed/assembled , came out lovely. 4 coats.

a85ebf9143be21ac3becb64cb6fc3981.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

This looks GREAT ! And WHERE did you get the trim for your bucket ? I CAN NOT even see the seam !!!

Dan

I cheated and bought a completed bucket, so couldn't tell u about the seam. Did the dip myself though. Tricky but not too hard....tape over eyes and mouth, used a brush Bout 1" wide, like I say about 4 coats

Would people advise spraying the plasti dip on the helmet assembled or as two separate pieces. I would have thought you'd get better coverage if it was separated.

Personally, Assembled. It hides many seams and generally alleviates any "plastic creak".