Using Plasti Dip for the interior

TK852

Hi everyone,

I know there are many threads on painting the interior, but one comment stuck with me and nobody has clarified if it is true or not.

Q: When coating the interior in plasti dip, does it in anyway affect the colour of the helmet's exterior?

I read somewhere that it can make the outside look slightly greyish.

Edited by TK852

Hi Rafe,

your concerns about a slightly greyish looking helmet might depend on the thickness of the plastic.

I did that modification on my TM lid (1,5mm ABS) and was very happy with the result. If you click on the 3rd link in my signature (ANH Stunt TM) and scroll to the end of entry #1 you can read why I would do this again.

I did a pretty rough sanding on the interior to give the plastidip something to hold onto. I also used Gaz's cheesecloth method for 2 buckets now. They look great.

Wow, it helps to read all the different forums! I was thinking of doing this exact same thing with the plasti-dip. PERFECT info. THANKS!

• 2 weeks later...

Question on plastidip alone and plastidip with cheesecloth.

Does it create any issues when tryin to stick Velcro on the inside of the helmet for helmet padding? I'd like to know if it does for either instance because I like the idea of being able to remove my padding via Velcro to give it a wash when it stinks

I wanted to ask your opinions on whether you think spray painting or Plast dipping the interior would be in any way harmful? Of course I am talking about using this after it has been dried and air out for a while. This also applies to paint jobs on the frown line.

My can of plasti dip is ready and waiting whilst I fix up a few things, but before I take the plunge I'd like to know this is safe.

I was thinking the same thing, Rafe, but apparently there are a lot of people doing it, and so far no negative comments.  (Plus, it just looks cool)!   I think I am going to start with a layer of white Plasti-dip after sanding, and then go to the black.  I would suggest taping off everything you don't want coated, (frown holes, eyes, etc.).  I am also going to be adding electronics, so I will need to tape off the area where they will be attached, then, let it air out for a week or so.   I am guessing that trooping with a massive headache or hallucinations from the fumes would ruin a perfectly good day. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had no ill affects from painting the inside of mine.  All I did was wipe it out with rubbing alcohol and spray 2 coats... no sanding involved.  I did tape off the eyes and frown area, but the rest is covered.  I just finished installing the electronics in mine and simply stuck the industrial velcro directly to the finish.  I really don't see any advantage to taping off for the electronics, seeing as mine changed places 3 or 4 times before finding the perfect set up.  Best part about it is if it gets messed up all you have to do is peel it off and do it over.

Brian

I would not think that the coating would be too friendly to allow good adhesion to it for adhesive Velcro. Add some E6000 maybe. As for effects, the stuff stinks like heck upon initial application but quickly goes away after roughly two days of curing. Faster in the summer if you put it in the sun.

• Like 1

I ended up having to re-locate a battery box in my bucket this morning and for kicks attempted to remove the velcro from the plastidip.  The velcro (with nothing but the adhesive already on it) stuck so well to the plastidip it pulled it away from the helmet.  I don't think I'm going to bother with E6000 for a while and see what happens.  On a side note, I've been attaching all the foam armor (that's covered in plastidip) onto my latex predator skin and haven't had any problems.  It's been attached for almost 3 years now and still stuck like the day I put it on.  

YMMV...

Brian

Is it just for looks or does the cheese cloth actually DO something ?  When the plasti dip is applied to the cheese cloth, is the cheese cloth in one piece, or several ?  If it's in one piece HOW do you apply it to the helmet...

Dan