Ponchos - still used?

Daetrin

So I have the stomach bug and broke out my old poncho liner to wrap myself in. My 3 yo daughter asked "what's that?". Which got me wondering...

Back when I was in a poncho was a grunts best friend, then we got those rain suits with a top/bottom. They were OK, but you couldn't use them as a rain tarp :) Even w/o ponchos anymore, everyone seemed to carry a poncho liner anyway due to their versatility.

I'm curious what troops do today - what's the current equivalent?

Wow, I have no idea what you guys are talking about .. for me, a puncho is the mexican thing you put over your shoulder and under the sombrero.

What's all the puncho and stomach bug thing about? :D Please educate me!

Wow, I have no idea what you guys are talking about .. for me, a puncho is the mexican thing you put over your shoulder and under the sombrero.

Here is an example of a more modern poncho.

I had a poncho when I served in the Army...and have not-so-fond memories of securing it up as a tent to sleep under. Also used it as a sleeping bag. I had to dig out my TRADOC Pamphlet 600-4 manual to see if we were issued the two-piece rain suits because I don't remember those, but it doesn't look like we got them. I don't think they should have gotten rid of ponchos, but I'm glad to hear that at least one liner is still seeing some good use. ;)

I remember in college I was on the Ranger Challege Team affiliated with the ROTC program and we were acting as opposition force on a Nation Guard field training excersise. It was pouring down rain and we setup a camp that was supposed to get hit from the east. My buddy and I put our ponchos together in a make shift shelter where we had the M60 setup. Well as usual they got lost in the dark and the fog and ended up hitting us from the west. I just remember the woods lighting up behind us and the next thing I know we tore the shelter down and I was firing away with that M60.....Rambo style! :D It was big fun at the time but of course we were only firing blanks which made the next day of cleaning that thing a pain! <_< It's those times that make me wish I would have joined up for real but playing soldier for a while was a great experience. No wonder why I like to play stormtrooper so much! :rolleyes:

We still issue ponchos, but also have jacket/pant style rain gear...whenever I deploy I still take my poncho with me, the last use was as a pillow in my sleeping bag on my cot in my GP Large tent. I forgot to bring a proper pillow, no need to buy one when I had the poncho.

I wouldn't mind something like what Boba and Jango wore in the costume test photos... :)

rightmain-1.jpg

20050216.jpg

The Hawkbat Battalion Clonetroopers had ponchos, too...

Jabiim-SWCW.jpg

How 'bout it, Paul? Do you still have any Phase I Clone bits around? Or did you lose all that when you sold your Fordo?

--Jonah

I am not in the army but I do a lot of air gun hunting and always have a poncho in my ruck. They have a mulitude of purposes, and I mainly use mine as a ground sheet for shooting prone position on the wet days. Although I have goretex ECWCS, I still carry my poncho everywhere when I am out shooting. I do have a liner but I've never used it in the field, just on the sofa :D

i was issued two poncho's when i first joined the airforce many many moons ago... i think i still have them... now we use gortex issued items... i like them ok, but when its hot and rainy, gortex just doesnt do it... the last time i deployed i found a stash of desert colored poncho's.... jackpot... then i remembered it didnt rain in the desert where i was... oh well... :blink:

I don't think the recruits now get a poncho here in Sweden. I had one 94-95 when I did my military service, back in the day of mass conscript armies. Whether one shall call it a poncho is up for debate though.

It's made out of tarpaulin, very thick. Nowhere close to a lightweight modern poncho. Called "Ensamma vargen/Lone wolf"... and, just as wolves, there supposed to be used together. Plenty of buttons so a group of eight/ten can make one proper tent.

gsu51.jpg

I don't think the recruits now get a poncho here in Sweden. I had one 94-95 when I did my military service, back in the day of mass conscript armies. Whether one shall call it a poncho is up for debate though.

It's made out of tarpaulin, very thick. Nowhere close to a lightweight modern poncho. Called "Ensamma vargen/Lone wolf"... and, just as wolves, there supposed to be used together. Plenty of buttons so a group of eight/ten can make one proper tent.

gsu51.jpg

Here is the last time i used mine Op-Telic one 2003..Great for shell scrapes..

ecciiraqpics008.jpg

British army still use them for shelter/stretchers...But for wet weather we have a gortex suite..Great bit of kit..

:) The Canadian military used to also issue 'rain poncho's", but moved to the top/bottom type of rain gear much after the late 70's. I myself was first issued a pair of rain top's/bottom's that if you put them on before the rain really came down you would be twice as wet! The stuff was cheap so you stayed wet, very wet! When we when on Ex with US troop's, if we could get near a PX we would buy up most of the US type of rain coat's/pant's! They worked! I got an old poncho from a surplus store before I got US rain gear. And we all got the liners :)

i was issued two poncho's when i first joined the airforce many many moons ago... i think i still have them... now we use gortex issued items... i like them ok, but when its hot and rainy, gortex just doesnt do it... the last time i deployed i found a stash of desert colored poncho's.... jackpot... then i remembered it didnt rain in the desert where i was... oh well... :blink:

What do you do in the AF...I'm AF too. Isn't that funny about desert ponchos...I bet we bought lots of those at rock bottom prices.

Hi all,

It does appear that most infantry-units in Norway (at least the patrol-type units) get a sort of poncho.

I know I've been given 3 different versions of it for my current assignment.

The "poncho" we get issued is made in Norway, and is called "Fjellduken" (literally mountaintarp or mountaincanvas). It's made primarily of polyester with the inside being aluminized for reflecting heat. Also, on most versions, there is a Nylon liner for both isolation and absorbing condensation, sometimes removable but on most versions it is permanently attached. I've got 2 or 3 of these privately as well, and they're pretty awesome....but quite expensive. Comes in different colours and patterns, and in several formats as well, for example as a kinda replacement sleepingbag, good old poncho and more or less regular jacket and pants.

I have to say that this is the single most useful item I have with me....and I always carry it on ops and excersises. Also got one in my car. :P

227137_396_453.jpg

What do you do in the AF...I'm AF too. Isn't that funny about desert ponchos...I bet we bought lots of those at rock bottom prices.

im hydro on the C-130... cant give out too much info... with the big scandel with the guy who put all kinds of info on his myspace page... i dont want that... but i can say... i am about 2 yrs from retiring... i cant wait...