ATA Armor Build_My First TK

Armor approved last night !!!

Here's the armor!

Still working on it getting some things nailed down better but it is basically finished! Just waiting for my TK number!!!

IMG_5275_zpsrwye7j5y.jpg

I have a tab that aligns and closes the ab and kidney on this side. I busted it off not gettign into my armor right. You gotta be carefull how you dress.

IMG_5273_zps2qi3nul3.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2
  • Like 1

Fixing a broken tab. This tab holds the AB & Kidney plates together and flat, no gap on the right side.

I broke off the original tab putting the armor on over my head and this tab got caught on my side and sheared right off.

IMG_5326_zpsdylqg4fm.jpg

Inside view of the tab and slot. Two elastics pull the two sides together.

IMG_5327_zpst7mmqtxl.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2
  • Like 1

I ordered my rubber hand gards from trooperbay and will have them for this weekend to take photos.

On another note, I have signed up for my first troop at the Police charity golf tournament here in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl golf course. A few others have signed up as well. Hopefully there will be more. Should be pretty low key and not too hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by russellr2d2

INTRODUCING !

TK20017

:peace:  :salute:  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:  :jc_doublethumbup:  :laugh1:  :smiley-sw013:  :D  :pint1: 

NOW ON TO EIB !

Congratulations!!! That is so awesome!!!

Thank you all! Tomorrow I take my armor out in public for the first time. The 43 annual Police Golf Tournament at the Rose Bowl ( Brookside Golf Course). Police, classic car show ...should be good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ON TO EIB!

Got my Trooper bay rubber hand guards and rubber gloves.

IMG_5351_zps3wgmpg1t.jpgIMG_5353_zpsoxoknvxz.jpg

AND...

Today I went on my first troop. Here in Pasadena there is an annual Police Memorial Charity event at the Rose Bowl golf course.

Sorry but no photos except when we were on break! Trying to find photos takes of us online.

The troop was great! My armor functioned flawlessly and was surprisingly comfortable! Despite the high 80's weather I stayed cool. My Eco fans are the bomb!!!! Inside my bucket...very cool and dry.

Your feel the wicking effect from your under suit. When air gets under your armor you feel a cold breeze. Nice! Had a great time with my fellow troopers and the event staff took care of us with lunch and a big ice chest of water. Definitely going to this one next year!!!!

Next is a 1.5 mile 4th of July parade!!

This is all I could take!!!

IMG_5350_zpsl5yeta9q.jpg ME----> IMG_5349_zpsvhzmgnf5.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2
  • Like 2

SWAG !!!

Go on a first troop and collect/buy cool stuff.

Ralf Garcia TI-8616 TIE Pilot set me up with ten stickers he is selling on the SCG boards.  He also threw in a set of nice stickers for a "happy first troop" !   Thanks Ralf !   :D 

IMG_5355_zpsow3ssqsq.jpg

BACK TO BUILDING !!!   ( "Say what!??   I thought you were finished!"  )

EIB & Centurion were always my goal, so here are the correct rubber gloves and hand guards (Trooperbay!).  

This is how I glued them on...

Cleaned them and the gloves up with acetone.  Acetone takes off oils well.  Make sure the material is safe with acetone....it likes to eat stuff.

The hand guards and gloves are fine with it ( I am using gloves from OSH hardware and hand guards from Trooperbay....others may melt with acetone).

IMG_5356_zps0rssivqq.jpg

CA glue and some weight....but wait !!!   These is more to the gluing!

IMG_5357_zpseenu6jlx.jpg

You gotta get the guard down on the glove with no wrinkles in the glove.  I figured that if I glued down one side then the other as I stretched the glove I could get the guard down and sealed at the edges with no winkles in the glove under it.

So first I glued one half of it down and let it set as above.  then I put on the glove and made sure there were no winkles in the glove under the guard.  Then I glued down that side as I wore the glove.  I held it down on the edges with my other hand until the glue had set.

IMG_5358_zpszdteis6v.jpg

IMG_5359_zpshabvpxy5.jpg

If there were any open gaps I could squirt in a little CA glue and wipe off the excess before it dried.  Clean up with acetone.

Note no winkles coming out from under the rubber guard.

IMG_5360_zpsxdof2pau.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2

Some of the "damage" from my first troop.  Looks like the ink from the sharpie I use to color stitches in my body suit comes out onto the plastic.

I had this on the edges around here and there....weeeee don't need to go into EXACTLY where !    :blink:

Below is the inside on one thigh.

IMG_5370_zpsif6kjcwb.jpg

I bought some of this at Walmart it was like $1.99 so what the heck.  It has UV protection.  Takes a few minutes to dry but once it does the cloudy shine turns to a hard shine.

Getting all paranoid about the plastic yellowing.  

I think it actually might be oxygen not UV rays that turn it yellow.  Just a theory.  

I am going to start storing my armor in plastic trash bags, might help???  Less exposure to the air.

_57_zpsde8znjh7.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2

Make sure your armor is wiped down with a baby wipe or anti bacterial wipe, then completely dry before storing in plastic bag. Plastic bags make great incubator's for the bacteria that comes off in sweat. Bacteria + ABS/PVC + Incubator = Mold/Mildew :blink:

Some of the "damage" from my first troop.  Looks like the ink from the sharpie I use to color stitches in my body suit comes out onto the plastic.

I had this on the edges around here and there....weeeee don't need to go into EXACTLY where !    :blink:

Below is the inside on one thigh.

I bought some of this at Walmart it was like $1.99 so what the heck.  It has UV protection.  Takes a few minutes to dry but once it does the cloudy shine turns to a hard shine.

Getting all paranoid about the plastic yellowing.  

I think it actually might be oxygen not UV rays that turn it yellow.  Just a theory.  

I am going to start storing my armor in plastic trash bags, might help???  Less exposure to the air.

Wow that's all you got from your first troop, wish mine went that smooth. Besides my ink stains like yours, walked into a flower pot I couldn't see and gouged my thigh armor and popped a snap out of an elastic strap. I thought got away easy. lol  :laugh1:

Edited by ukswrath