ATA Armor Build_My First TK

FIXING THE BACKWARDS BOMB

Geeee aint it purdy! yeaaa...but it's backwards. the control panel is glued the wrong way around.

OK fix it!

IMG_5137_zpsdqrhmmtz.jpg

Pull off the control panel. E6000 will allow this. Do not use CA glues.

IMG_5140_zpspwf3qfl6.jpg

I marked a line where the panel will go back to so everything still lines up.

IMG_5141_zpsgipd1rpy.jpg

E6000 !

IMG_5142_zpswlmfbjmy.jpg

All done! Now the circle is on the right.

IMG_5144_zpsfwzq6yz2.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2

Photos sent to my GML here in the Southern California Garrison.

Whats happens now?   How do they handle the photos and what do I do next?

How long do I wait?

(I might need to send the fixed DT photos to the GML also, but waiting for instructions)

Ohhh boy!  

Photos sent to my GML here in the Southern California Garrison. SWEET!!

Whats happens now?  WAIT or go build another droid. How do they handle the photos and what do I do next? They sell them to a advertising company as spam for profit, and then your WAIT some more.

How long do I wait? Until I tell your GML to give you the good news after I let you sweat enough.

(I might need to send the fixed DT photos to the GML also, but waiting for instructions) Do nothing, good things come to those who wait.

Ohhh boy!  Golly Gee!!

hahahahaha  :laugh1:

The work continues: Heat bending and polishing.

While I wait for my GML to get back to me I am working on some extra touches to get my armor to fit better.

Up first is the butt plate has the front ends splayed out. I noticed this in my Basic application photos.

IMG_5135_zpsomjd6giy.jpg

I decided to heat bend them in to hug my hips. First I taped the ends together to hold the flaps inward.

Then I used a heat gun to get the stress points hot. These are where the plastic is bending naturally while being held with the tape.

The trick is to get the plastic hot NOT SOFT ! Keep the heat gun moving and never closer then about 10".

IMG_5148_zpsmc1hga93.jpg

Keep the tape on until the plastic is cold again. I managed to bring in the sides over THREE inches !

I did the heat bending three times with different tape applications pulling the sides together different directions and amounts.

The measurement used to be over 16" !

IMG_5150_zpsvphd6azi.jpg

Now the butt plate hugs my hips.

Now on to some fun with polish... I like Meguires Carnuba Wax. Super glossy. I also got my bottle of #2 NOVUS to take out scratches.

Now I will have the shiniest butt in the 501st!

IMG_5151_zpsqa9xinub.jpg

And the shiniest AB and chest plates! Death Star ready!

IMG_5153_zpsyxsbxgw3.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2
  • Like 1

hahahahaha :laugh1:

You tease! :lol:

Taking care of other things while I wait. I need to mount the Aker amplifier. Any links that show how others have done it?

EDIT: duh...just googled it and found lots of photos...easy!

Thanks!

Russell

Edited by russellr2d2

hehe!!

Aker, no not personally. I would look at other centurion request threads Though.

I use a ROM/FX with Hovi Tip speakers so I wouldn't be of any help.

Waiting for 501st Basic Approval:

Installation of the sound system: Amplifier and i-pod shuffle.

A wide & soft elastic with snaps holds the amplifier in place. Note the thin plastic in the snaps There is a bit of yellow foam under it to keep it from rattling around.

The Shuffle will be used to make TK background sounds, radio chatter. Hope my daughter doesn't notice her old i-pod is missing !!!! ^_^

IMG_5213_zpsmjsvxx4a.jpg

I marked a white dot and line where the midpoint on the volume is. Nice and loud without feedback.

IMG_5208_zpsebfkt7m0.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2

Waiting on word from my GML  & the 501s about my BASIC approval....

How many coats of wax can you put on your armor anyway?    looking for a wax with a UV protector in it.

Just to name one (below).  I personally use 3M but pretty much any wax with UV should work Russell  

Meguiar's G17110 Headlight Protectant - 10 oz.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17110-Headlight-Protectant-oz/dp/B006FUT15Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1433522305&sr=8-4&keywords=wax+with+UV+protection&pebp=1433522324265&perid=1NMKMQ36WZMZJTD9C3BH

Edited by ukswrath

Thanks Tony,

In one review a guy talks about the product leaving a film that is "sticky". What experience do you have with this wax? Does it buff off dry like a normal wax?

Thanks Tony,

In one review a guy talks about the product leaving a film that is "sticky". What experience do you have with this wax? Does it buff off dry like a normal wax?

Just make sure you let it dry adequately then thoroughly clean, you should be fine.

I'd like to get a census on who uses what for wax. Maybe I'll start a post, after looking haha

Well I haven't been trooping long enough, or out in the direct sunlight enough to find out how long it takes for the armor to yellow, year, two, three? Maybe someone can answer that question. If it's any consolation last week I was trooping and people were looking at me like I just pulled the armor out of the brown box, someone finally said "Dude your armor is too clean". I took it as a compliment but I don't think it was meant to be.  :mellow:

Simply put, I've had 3M polish or Miguires on my armor since day one and to be honest I'm more concerned about the heavy dents and scratches I've put in it bumping into things. At this point I'd be happy not to crack the thing by years end  :blink:

Let us know what polish works for you. :duim:  

Edited by ukswrath

Waiting for my Basic Approval Continued !!

Today I started the foam padding that will keep the loose armor aligned and in place. I found a great foam shop in Burbank California (near my town of Pasadena). The foam store is across the street from "Sword IN The Stone" armor maker to Hollywood if anyone knows about this modern day blacksmith shop.

I bought this foam for under $5.00 from their scrap bin.

IMG_5217_zpstsm6jt0n.jpg

This is the gray foam you use for camera cases. I also bought white just because I do not want to come back.

I have the Super 77 spray glue already.

IMG_5219_zpsmyyt5tkw.jpg

To locate the foam you first try on the armor with your black suit. Find out where you can put in foam and hold the parts still and in place. Then glue in the foam. Try on with the black suit and see how it works before the Super 77 sets up too much. It cleans off the Goo Gone cleaner or lighter fluid.

IMG_5221_zpskwtew2bh.jpg

The foam changed how the straps held the arms together so I installed a shorter strap that holds the forearm tighter up my arm.

The foam creates resistance to the strap and it all balances out perfectly. So, after you instal the foam you may expect some adjustment of the straps. Note below how the short strap pulls the arm pieces together. When I wear the armor they are apart about 1/4"-1/2".

IMG_5222_zpszg5choeq.jpg

The thigh:

I think everybody knows about how the knee plate likes to tuck under the bottom of the thigh while walking.

This is a close up of the BACK OF THE THIGH bottom. Fill this with foam and pull the thigh backwards against the knee.

IMG_5229_zpsjkocy6fl.jpg

The foam installed with Super 77 spray glue.

IMG_5236_zpshp2bzzdj.jpg

Two layers, staggered and cut at a bevel so my foot will not tear it off going through the thigh as I put it on (hopefully).

So the idea is not to just glue in a block, but to fit in sculpted pieces.

IMG_5234_zpsi91rmusw.jpg

Here the foam is holding the bottom

of the thigh back against my knee so the knee plate cannot get under it.

IMG_5228_zps43w9r1nj.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2

Waiting for Basic Approval continued....sigh!

Working on foam inserts to stabilize the armor.

The knee plate ends up a bit off to the right as I walk so I need to stabilize the shin facing forward.  FOAM!

Here you can see a big open gap at the sides of my knee.  These will be filled with black foam.

IMG_5246_zpsi020jdhk.jpg

I start with a long block of black foam on each side.

IMG_5248_zpsjnzahwzm.jpg

I made smaller blacks and sculpted them.....so I would have something to do today more or less...   :blush:

IMG_5253_zpsiqr516sv.jpg

A smaller block fits in front where the gap is widest.

IMG_5254_zpsja9xupxg.jpg

a top piece fills the front.  This will also have the effect of pushing the knee plate out away from the bottom of the thigh, preventing it from going under the thigh as so many knee plates like to do.  I also have the foam in the back of my thigh so that problem should never happen.

IMG_5255_zpsbdokmm7g.jpg

The finished foam at the knee.   I used Super 77 spray glue for this.  The knee plate should always face forward now that the shin cannot rotate on my leg.

IMG_5259_zpsfii9zajt.jpg

Stirrups in the shins:

I already have big Velcro Patches at the bottom on my shins so I did not want anymore down at the bottom of the shin (to keep the shin facing forward while trooping).  SO.....to keep the shins down over my boots while I walk  (the shins like to pull up off the boots some)   I install stirrups.

2" wide soft elastic strap goes down around my feet inside my boots.    The top of the stirrup must be up high in the shin to clear the top of the boot.

IMG_5249_zpsmub6wipf.jpg

The big wide and soft elastic is very comfortable on my feet.

IMG_5251_zpsa3rgycok.jpg

Did you guys see my blaster?

A DD's resin full kit.

This is a blaster that would be on the Death Star...not on some dusty planet getting all dirty and scratched up.  Spends most of it's time in the weapons locker.

IMG_5260_zpsddeq8us6.jpg

The business end ....

IMG_5261_zpsxruwcgvg.jpg

Made a spooky red lens...

IMG_5263_zpsestm0zd0.jpg

The D ring...

IMG_5264_zpsubl8qy0c.jpg

The real business end...

IMG_5265_zps7mofb9hx.jpg

IMG_5268_zpsmsvirdih.jpg

On it's stand I made...

IMG_5269_zpsyxbgs1g7.jpg

IMG_5271_zpscdq5wsps.jpg

Thanks Tony,

At this point I am just showing off while I wait for my basic approval. One more piece of foam in the thigh and I think I am done.

There is a 1 1/2 mile parade on the fourth down here but not sure I want to try out my armor on something like that for my first troop. But it looks like fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Tony,

At this point I am just showing off while I wait for my basic approval. One more piece of foam in the thigh and I think I am done.

There is a 1 1/2 mile parade on the fourth down here but not sure I want to try out my armor on something like that for my first troop. But it looks like fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the weather is right 1-1/2 is not bad. If you're not sure do a couple smaller troops inside stores or something. Either way you'll have fun.