ATA Armor Build_My First TK

Building the belt continued: The Holster and boxes

Adding the belt boxes via industrial strength Velcro strips.

IMG_4999_zpsnzgazwll.jpg

Look Ma' no rivets!

Edit(several days later) I may end up using a rivet. I find the E6000 pulls away from the top a bit when I open the boxes.

IMG_4998_zpsubwhxzee.jpg

The box positions are flush with the end of the belt and nearly touching at the top of the box.

IMG_4997_zps5fl9naym.jpg

Both boxes on the belt.

IMG_4996_zps3fn2n1ou.jpg

Installing the holster. I first refer to my research and drawings to get the correct location.

IMG_5002_zpsig56nfsi.jpg

All screw locations are marked. You got to get this right the first time or you will end up with holes in your beautiful white canvas belt.

IMG_5004_zpsr3zh7xvz.jpg

Using a soldering tool to burn in a hole. there should be a piece of plastic running through your belt or it may sag with the weight of your blaster.

IMG_5006_zpsj75hpz3m.jpg

Leather can be drilled like wood! You even get the shavings.

IMG_5005_zpsiejdlbsj.jpg

The Chicago screws in the back of the belt. the slotted side goes on the inside of the belt.

IMG_5008_zpsimiumdcx.jpg

The flat side of the screws goes on the outside of the belt. they look like pulled rivets to me.

IMG_5009_zps9uref8w5.jpg

My Doopy Doo's blaster in the nice Darman made holster I purchased here on W.A.. It is 9oz leather, very stiff to support the weight of the blaster

leaning on it.

IMG_5015_zpsjjxbxgua.jpg

NOW I get to do what I have been waiting weeks to do.....glue on the color button plates. I have not done this yet because I was working on the armor and

laying it down on the front on my workbench. I did not want to scratch up the beautiful buttons.

IMG_4995_zpsvhmmpl0x.jpg

YUM! Ready for a NOVUS polish party! Tomorrow!!!!!!

IMG_5016_zps4fwq9vsc.jpg

GLOVES and handgards!

I just E6000 them onto the fabric back of the gloves. These are only for basic approval.

For more advanced approvals I already have my rubber gloves and will order the flexi vinyl covers.

Edit: I know I have to put them on after the forearms. But with the big ATA forearms it will be easy to stuff the gauntlet into each forearm end (been there -done it).

IMG_5019_zpsuswbwh6b.jpg

exciting yes!?

IMG_5018_zps40acswtb.jpg

Stay tuned to this channel for more adventures in TK armor building !

Coming up next is.....the Thermal Detonator Straps !!! A chilling, mind bending adventure with aluminum strips !

Edited by russellr2d2

You want it perfect so i'll throw this out, even if these are really little details:

- Your ammo belt isn't properly trimmed. The horizontal cuts should be right on top and below the boxes. You still have some flash around on yours:

med_gallery_12157_59_14010.jpg

- Also the corners of the abdominal buttons should be squared and not rounded as you did:

med_gallery_12157_16_7278.jpg

Thanks Tony, easy fixes. Good ol' E6000!

Good to have more eyes on this build.

The Emperor would be pleased!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by russellr2d2
  • Like 1

And here are the fixes!

The belt has a heat-bend I put in it so it wraps around my armor better than if it were left flat.

BUT, this makes a problem here when I want to cut off the edges. I had to flatten it out so I can work on it.

Here is how I did that!

IMG_5023_zpspb81silh.jpg

Here is a pencil mark where I will cut off the return edge on the belt. Right up to the radius of the boxes.

Used a new Exacto blade to score along the ruler/pencil line.

IMG_5024_zpst1mkbvbx.jpg

Off it comes! Pretty rough cutting but sanding will cure that.

IMG_5026_zpsvbmc3j20.jpg

Sanding along the entire edge of the belt evens out the rough cutting and snapping.

IMG_5027_zps0bzciecq.jpg

Tah-Dah! No more return edge. The edge is brought right up to the radius of the boxes. No more can be cut off.

IMG_5028_zps8epfvpeg.jpg

ON to the button plates. I needed to get rid of the radius corners on each button plate.

I did this on my sander just to make it quick. Glued back on now.

IMG_5021_zpsth8mhn6i.jpg

Sharp corner button plate.

IMG_5022_zpsmjteqbfu.jpg

Another little detail.

On my right side I use this big wide tab that goes into a slot. It keeps the opening side of the clamshell solid and even when shut.

Elastic straps pull it together closed but, they often open a bit. This black strip will hide the plastic tab against my black under-suit when the side opens up.

Just a little detail that makes things extra spiffy.

IMG_5017_zpstmpflosh.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow the TD straps and then about done and ready to submit to my GML !!

Edited by russellr2d2

Making the TD belt clips:

FIRST look and learn from the master in this video. EDIT: his screw locations are not entirely correct see below.

http://www.tk1336.com/stormtrooperaccessories.html

Purchase 1 x 1/16" strip of aluminum. Cut off two 9" long pieces and tape them together.

IMG_5030_zpsahhrguf9.jpg

Drill holes that will be just a hair smaller than the threads on the #6 round headed screws.

The first hole is 1" from one end. The second hole is 1.5" from that hole (not from the end).

IMG_5031_zpsjhb8ozde.jpg

Here are the screws I found at Orchard Hardware. Every hardware store should have them. Round top-single slot-#6 size.

IMG_5032_zpsrd5k87nu.jpg

I copied the video and screwed the strips down to a piece of wood to hold them while I sanded a nice finish into them.

IMG_5034_zpskfifyydp.jpg

Pretty!

IMG_5036_zps3xfchgfz.jpg

Cut a length of pipe to use as a buck for the two alum. strips. You will screw the strips onto this pipe for bending them around it.

The screws have to be TIGHT!

IMG_5037_zpsnvht3pow.jpg

In the vice ready for the first bending step.

IMG_5039_zpssw8vmwaz.jpg

Already getting dinged up. But they cleaned up really easy. Get the short end of the strip to bend down against the tube as much as you can.

IMG_5041_zpsbpkep47m.jpg

Bend back then...

IMG_5042_zpsfhdilubf.jpg

then again (see the video) They came out almost perfect. But later you will see this makes no difference at all....it will look great!

(what happened to my OCD !!! :shok: )

IMG_5043_zpssqndhdzp.jpg

Squeeze the heck out of that sucker! Don't worry about smashing the pipe, you need to over tightening to get the aluminum to take a bend as far as you need it to. That short end is really hard to get bent down enough.

IMG_5044_zpsyn1xyuuu.jpg

Cut off the long end so the end clears the screws. Its just an eyeball thing.

IMG_5048_zpsqda382yb.jpg

I sanded the ends a bit rounded where the clip goes behind the belt. I don't want anything catching on the belt and I don't want the clip scratching the hell out of the armor. Everything is softly rounded with fine sandpaper.

Keep the front end with sharp corners where everybody will see it.

IMG_5049_zpsbkur3w1v.jpg

Tah-Dah!

IMG_5051_zpskwsqfeuh.jpg

Now the screws are painted black. I read that the control panel should be facing up when this is on the belt.

IMG_5054_zps9xbohbvn.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2

The detonator, the clips, everything looks horrible, I think you should send it to me immediately for proper use, I mean disposal.  :D

Sickeningly perfect as usual Russell   :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• Like 1

Unfortunately this tutorial is certainly not perfect... The first screws should be located right under the edge of the clips:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!  

Dang! I must move the screws today! But how to preserve the straps?

Maybe I'll fill the two holes and Rub n Buff will color them and be done with it.

Interesting that I have been staring at that photo for weeks and missed that detail. I see they would help hold down the ends of the straps.

Edited by russellr2d2

What you can do is choping off the excess on the clips, and then unglue the main panel of the TD and reglue it in position. The panel might become a little bit too low but i think it should be fine.

Edited by The5thHorseman

Yea I don't want to rotate the panel down it needs to be pointing up. I have seen several approvals where this was mentioned so the GML's are looking at it. I think I can fill the old hole and a product called rub n buff will color it metallic silver pretty good.

Thanks for watching out!

Here is the fix of the DT:

Moved the screws up near the edge of the straps as is cannon.

IMG_5060_zpsekkl7grh.jpg

You can see the old holes in this photo but they are turned a bit downward so they will not be very visible on the TK belt.

I'll call this one done!

IMG_5059_zpspeubixxw.jpg

Friday? photos for my BASIC APPROVAL !!!! and application into the 501st!

Edited by russellr2d2
  • Like 1

CARNAUBA WAX !

Waxed every inch of my armor in preparation for the photo shoot today.  Hopefully I can upload my BASIC approval photos to my GML this evening.

QUESTION:  When do I send in my submission to the 501st?  Does my GML send in my photos?

IMG_5116_zps5vgmonq1.jpg

Ohh it should be the other way around?

Good eyes thanks! That's an easy fix thanks to E6000.

Tomorrow it gets turned around.

Edited by russellr2d2