Helmet electronics and external power supply UPDATED!

Almost done with my Anovos armor. Mid-section shimming, shin re-do and helmet cleanup are still needed. But I also want to get some unique electronics mods in place. Working on turning the left 4 vertical ab buttons into working on/off switches. Anyone attempted this?

That was something I wanted to do before (for all of the ab buttons) but I just don't have the know-how to do it. One thing I was thinking was hooking up the iComm's push to talk button to one of them.

• Like 1

Nice buttons them, not available in the UK...

In a couple of months I plan on ordering a pair of mic tip speakers from you, if I paid the extra what are the chances of you putting some of these in the package?

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

Nice buttons them, not available in the UK...

In a couple of months I plan on ordering a pair of mic tip speakers from you, if I paid the extra what are the chances of you putting some of these in the package?

I can do that. Send me a PM with what you need and I'll get it for you

I can do that. Send me a PM with what you need and I'll get it for you

Thanking you very kindly sir, you're an officer and a gent...

I'll let you know closer to the time as my bank has taken a hammering lately lol...

Thanking you very kindly sir, you're an officer and a gent...

I'll let you know closer to the time as my bank has taken a hammering lately lol...

haha yes, its not a cheap hobby

It sure is not, I didn't help myself by going for the rs commission so I went one of the most expensive ways possible...

But quality isn't cheap and its better to get what you want the 1st time than spend more buying twice...

Have to ask, why did you google the rj45 conversion? I thought the din was just fine, only reason I can think of is it's easier to connect/disconnect...

Edited by AWOL

I think I might get by with these, depending upon how far into the inside if the ab plate they go. I just picked these because the button was the 9mm size, almost spot on with the existing buttons. I'll keep messing with it and see how it turns out. May need to go a shallower route and attach custom buttons on the ends.

It sure is not, I didn't help myself by going for the rs commission so I went one of the most expensive ways possible...

But quality isn't cheap and its better to get what you want the 1st time than spend more buying twice...

Have to ask, why did you google the rj45 conversion? I thought the din was just fine, only reason I can think of is it's easier to connect/disconnect...

The female din connectors are difficult to work with, unpredictable and there's no lock for the connector. I'm hoping the RJ45 prove to be more reliable.

• Like 1

Working in IT, I can terminate cat5 cable in my sleep. I'm very familiar and wasn't even aware this would be a viable option. Looking forward to the diagram and doing this

Well I'm holing to get more done this weekend. The harness is complete and currently runs the fans but I'm waiting for a voltage regulators to arrive for my ROM/FX and Amp 2, not that I'm using both at the same time. Now that I'm running 12v I need to scale down specs. Nothing worse then letting the smoke out in a confined space :blink:  :D   

Will this work for those of us with icomms?

The iComm has it's own power source (built in battery), there's no need for modification, the Anker amp/speaker is another matter. You'll have to modify that as well or use it as it was designed.

For those of you who didn't know my Amp 2 is essentially a Anker amp. I'll be adding a voltage regulator to it to work with the 12v supply. Once I convert and test it I'll demonstrate how I did it.

• Like 1

I have your Amp 2 that came with the kit I bought from you that also included the hovi mic tip speakers and icomm.

I know :duim: . If all goes well I'll show everyone how to mod it but remember, you mod it, you own it  ;)  

• Like 1

Bench testing results: In one helmet the battery lasted roughly 5 hours powering four fans and my FOTK audio system, and in another helmet lasting 4.5 hours powering for fans, ROM/FX and a SHA system. Not completely satisfied with the battery life but it is smaller and more portable, not to mention I didn't have to deal with any irritating minimum requirements, just plug and go. I may have to consider having a 2nd on hand for extra long troops.

New video - 

Tony,

I have been slowly gathering all the components to duplicate the TK system.

The Din8 connectors were the only thing that bothered me.  I had been looking for alternatives.

The RJ45 connectors will make a world of difference.  Can't wait to see the finished product.

P.S.  The new video is showing as Private... :D

Tony, seriously between this thread and the helmet interior setup, I'm full. These are the best two I've seen so far. Lots of good stuff but these two are tops. Kudos, brother and thank you for your ingenuity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paul.kennedyjr

Tony, seriously between this thread and the helmet interior setup, I'm full. These are the best two I've seen so far. Lots of good stuff but these two are tops. Kudos, brother and thank you for your ingenuity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kudos Paul. Like so many others here I enjoy creating. Something I enjoy even more, sharing the info then watching others expand upon it. Good stuff

• Like 4

4.5 hours is kind of disappointing considering your last build lasted 8 plus. Well I guess it makes up for it in size and ease of use though. I'm still on board to do the new setup. Do you think it's possible to store the battery in the bucket? 

4.5 hours is kind of disappointing considering your last build lasted 8 plus. Well I guess it makes up for it in size and ease of use though. I'm still on board to do the new setup. Do you think it's possible to store the battery in the bucket? 

Yea I feel the same, but for me the trade off is worth it. I was at a troop 2 weeks ago and the USB drive decided to start having issues and wreaked havoc on my life. Push comes to shove I'll buy another battery to have on hand as a spare, then go back and use a velcro tie strap to secure the harness. I cannot say for certain it will fit in a bucket however, everyone's head is different so you never know.