First helmet

I'm not sure if there are any affordable built helmets out there that are accurate unless you buy want from a garrison member. I would just avoid the eFX ones etc.

ATA is always up there in discussions about affordable quality helmet kits. He even includes two sets of ears with his kits. I know I needed that extra set on my first build lol. I also like Scootch's CAP-W helmets. They are similarly priced, but in my opinion look even better when finished. The major difference is that they are formed in HIPS plastic and need to be painted--just like the original ANH and ESB buckets. The ATA comes in a nice acrylic-capped glossy finish. These are the two that I am most familiar with as I've built a couple of each.

This looks very wrong to me ...

Aside from the basic shape, the opening for the head seems a bit wide, the face is set too much into the cap and the bumps on the ears look also very wrong ... (may be the photo angle)

Also it is painted very badly. Too many rank stripes,the tube stripes are in the wrong place, the stripes in the rear traps are parallel and the stripes in the tears are also kinda strange.

From my point of view, not a good choice.

Go with a kit. Make it yourself.

Edited by Bone

On 12/21/2014 at 12:56 AM, alittleshort said:

What do you guys think of this helmet? I'm contemplating buying it if it looks accurate enough

-------------

This looks like an ATA or a recast of it for me, so quite a good helmet. However, the handpainting is a disaster and will need to be completely re-done anew, the ears seem riveted instead of screwed so rivets will need to be drilled and replaced, and the neck trim hasn't the correct "s" shape.

Depending on the price it might worth to consider buying it, but there's work involve in it if you want to make it approvable. You may be better to buy a new kit to begin with.

Edit: Looking at the inside pic again, i really don't know how the ears are fastened. Maybe glued...?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

... but maybe it's better to just build from a kit

I think you'd be better doing that. With that kind of second hand helmet, unlike you can see it in hand and buy it from a reliable person or a friend, you're never completely safe from bad surprises.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...