My first build. RS Armor

(...)  Is that an e-11pipe build with doopy part? (...)

Hm, it looks like a DoopyDoo's pipe build. At least it has the two-pieced folding stock and the same shape at the magazine.

But what about that pipe? Looks like resin, too.

Eric, was it contained in the kit, or did you add it yourself?

It's a pipe build I made out do a 1.25" PVC pipe. It sucked drilling all those holes and stepping them up. Not to keen on doing that again anytime soon. The Sterling parts are from Doopy's and the E-11 parts I got on eBay from a guy in England username TrickyDicky. What is with all these trooper parts being made in England. I have the blaster painted black now and just need to weather it next. Sorry this thread is going off subject from my RS armor but I should be posting more about it in the next couple days. The T handle I need goes on the bottom right as you can see pictured. I understand there isn't one on the bayonet lug side.

FE54075D-9F5D-4EE6-90D5-28583EE41265_zps

92681EC4-5AB6-48B2-8466-AC131DF93929_zps

Oups, scope is on backwards!

And the hengstler is quite far from the magazine. If you could find a way to get it closer it would look better. Have a look at the picture i posted above for reference if needed.

Ha! I fixed it all. I grew up with guns all my life and it's just habit to put the big end facing down the barrel.

While many star wars guns had their sights mounted backwards, the E-11 actually got it right. The smaller end faces forwards because it was mounted in an assembly of optics that directed light into it from the outside of the tank it was in. So despite being smaller, it is actually the "input".

I got a chance to install the hardware to the torso last night. Found I am missing one of the tall metal chest brackets so that will have to be on hold. I put on the front and back to see how everything lines up. It all looks good. Just a little cutting on the torso to kidney area. I don't like how the butt plate flares out a bit at the sides. I might have to heat bend that a bit but not till I get all the strapping on. It may set itself right when everything is together. Pictures to follow soon. I've been home alone so no one to take pictures. I hate doing mirror selfies. Makes me feel vain.

Originally the rivets that went there were CAP rivets with a 7mm head. If you can find some that could be nice. You can see what they look like in this thread:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23970-fs-centurion-level-rivet-sets/

Originally the rivets that went there were CAP rivets with a 7mm head. If you can find some that could be nice. You can see what they look like in this thread:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23970-fs-centurion-level-rivet-sets/

Yeah. I found this thread last night. Thanks. My strapping kit came with split rivets. I already put it back together with the brass split ones. I guess I wasn't aware they were cap rivets. I'm sure it won't hinder my from centurion status. It just might get recommended to change. Maybe I will order those along with new split rivets. It wasn't that bad to drill them back out. Anyone have issues with the brass ones on that thread being to long?

Now that the holidays are over I'm going into full swing on the build. Since I'm waiting for some new rivets in the mail I decided to start work on my bucket. I wanted to wait till the end to work on it but it's literally staring at me. All the cuts went well but when it came to fitting it was a much more difficult process. I followed pandatrooper's tutorial and it was a big help. First I'm not happy with the brow. I feel it comes down to far. It's right even with the eyes. I might be able to trim back the plastic a bit to bring the brow trim up but I find if I try to fix things sometime I just make it look worse. There is also a bit of a gap between the brow and the face plate if you look underneath. I think that will just help with ventilation so I'm just going to leave it. Why things went a little asque is the helmet and the face were not exactly flat and when rivets and screws started pulling thing together where I wanted things to go kinda moved out of place.

0C2BBB6A-8154-417E-92AF-7FAE9FB588B7_zps

Now as for the ears I went in very confident. Probably to much confidence. I started fitting the right one and I think I cut a little to much. I was furious. At first I was thinking I would have to get new ears but then started to think if I cut new pieces of ABS I could glue that in to the cut areas and ABS paste the rest to fill it in. I don't have any before pictures of the cut because I was flipping out and not really feeling like taking pictures but I can show the after. It seems to be working. I took some parchment paper and sealed it behind the ear and bolted it to the helmet. This would keep ABS paste from adhering to the helmet. I then smeared paste ino the gap and let it dry over night. Though it's rough looking it filled in the gap nicely. I will next sand it down and polish it to make it shiny but not until I work on the gap a little more. I want to do the same process to the back of the ear. The left ear turned out much better but I may even fill that in with the paste process.

B3A1CFE2-4728-46F8-8573-9782BECA3F82_zps

Her is the back of the right ear I will fill in tonight.

0C1489DA-E10C-468E-9F14-F7431A38C120_zps

I ended up drilling the rivets and moving the face plate forward. Looks much better now. I just finished filling in the ear gaps with paste. Now I wait till tomorrow to sand them down and trim them.

Edited by EDaniels
  • Like 1

This one will be a nail biter. Since you can't really trim down the round portion of the ears any more, it will be hard to get those gaps closed like you want to do. As for the brow, you shouldn't have any gap between the brow trim and the face area above the eyes. It's an easy fix to adjust that because if you need to move the rivets and reposition them, it's all hidden under the ears.

Yeah the brow closed up pretty nice. As for these ears my paste seems to be working. I took some shots of the process. It looks pretty messy now but it will clean up after sanding. I have quite a bit of experience building plastic models so this is nothing more than filling gaps with putty. I just wish abs paste has the consistency of putty. As for the round part of the ears I will go back and try the same process. I'm just trying to get the bigger bottom gap sealed up right now. And hey if it doesn't turn out I'll just scrap it and get new ears.

Here is the before shot with the parchment paper

13559D9E-D801-400F-A2B0-01EE6F8ABB07_zps

45F5919B-C080-4639-9FFD-B9F02F0FD43B_zps

And here is after pasting

7C9C6CE3-2342-4254-AAAD-1D5B34A9E320_zps

B0EF7BFA-A140-43C6-A4E1-3C6F851A6482_zps

2CE2649F-E61C-4AAF-BE87-05043F9DF7E5_zps

Finally got a chance to sand down my fill job. This is the left ear mostly done. I just need to hit it with a thin layer of paste to fill in the air holes. I find if you put abs paste on thick there will be a lot of air holes. I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm glad I was able to save the ears.

2D93F7B7-26AA-4FD0-A012-3BF68C9FA41E_zps

Impressive work patching up the ears. Very brave for trying it and its looking good.

Thanks Bulldog. It's been a lot of work but I think I'm done. It was probably more work than just ordering new ones. I don't like how some of the colors of the sand paper I used left very tiny specs in the abs. Not noticeable unless you look close. The pits did not really go away either. Again not noticeable unless you look close. I'm thinking of painting them but not sure what shade white matches RS abs. Most likely a bunch of trial and error. Anybody have any insight on this?

75C78DF6-5029-44F7-B6DF-C24A2BA9093D_zps

9CCAE468-0B0A-4A5E-9B4A-452BF3738A63_zps

E8305213-7C37-47A1-9EB0-0795B6A20843_zps

Well here is where I'm at so far. I finished the side webbing on the torso. Still need to do the shoulders and crotch. I have been hand painting the buckets so as you can see some areas are missing. I just finished the Thurman detonator and one drop box last night. Everything is fitting quite well. Can't wait to get these final odds and ends finished.

AE31B43C-7DB0-45D9-A909-00B7CB6C5A65_zps

22FD605D-8658-42FE-9071-084C9AD0A320_zps

4CC5FF32-47AF-41FA-99B4-6ABFD749A4B8_zps

6CFCF891-040E-4797-83A4-385CA05D0B77_zps

Well guys I'm all finished(for now). Here are my 501st application pics. Just submitted them today. Thanks guys for all the research sources on this forum. Between that and all the comments I couldnt have done it without any of you.

FABC369B-CC17-4CEE-A1D9-8467DD45A859_zps

9675EB3F-BF0B-4AFA-AC7A-4BD1646DA447_zps

FF036D0B-D3EE-4866-8E74-CA529E1F0150_zps

B2CF20AC-9062-474E-8689-6424C974B853_zps

8A396634-E35F-4521-96DD-6F33E7AC0475_zps

C60D3218-97D8-4355-BC5C-54410697E76F_zps

Looks amazing!

I would just try to pull up your right thigh, but that's all. Everything else is perfect. And i guess it's not a surprise as i can see on your test fit pics that the Big Boss was overseeing your work (Mickey Mouse ;))

• Like 1