ABS glue

Hey Paul

I've used this glue, and it dries fast and has an amazing bond. This was found at a local store here .. but perhaps there's something similar around ...

I haven't found anything fast + long lasting I'm afraid. I use ABS cement for ABS. Takes a while to cure, but has held for years.

my devcon plastic weld is horrible. i dont know what im doing wrong i let it sit for like an hour but as soon as i take the clamps of it pulls apart a little so you can see the glue in their and there is a little gap

You may have got a bad tube. If it's real old sometimes it doesn't stick. Also make sure you mix it really good and let it set up for a minute before applying. i've been thru about twenty tubes of this stuff in the past few years and I only got one that was bad. But I swear by the stuff.

I'm building my blaster right now and I'm using Locktite 5 min apoxy. I'm sticking plastic to metal and metal to metal and its working great! Starts to thicken in 5 min, fills in gaps great, and supports weight in 20 min. Full cure that I can file, sand, and grind in a couple hours! So far I'm a big fan!

I've used a lot of the locktite just cause I hate mixing epoxy. Anyhow, I've found epoxy does not hold great in the long run on ABS. When using the ABS welders make sure you don't use too much. It will heat the plastic as it cures and can actually melt it. If you are using clamps to hold the joint and it gets too hot the clamps will sink into the abs leaving permanent marks. I've seen this happen on someone elses armor.

Paul - If you want quick and strong, go with Thick or Medium (I recommend Medium) CA (superglue for those asking waht CA is). I've never had an issue with my armor busting apart. I have broken snaps, but never plastic to plastic...

To make it even faster, add a little spray of CA accelerator. It cures the CA in seconds. Be careful, it does get a little hot and makes the fingers stick even quicker :)

I’ve built a couple of sets now with CA. I will never use anything different.

Quick question for those using ABS glue, I've had a bottle the whole time but have not used it. I've got this Autism Walk-a-thon and I'm going to try and do 8 miles in my armor and I know for a fact that my thighs are not going to hold with the glue I've used so I want to go strong. Any tips on the ABS, I would appreciate, technique, etc. I have the craftsman adjustable tension clamps, but they do not have any pads. Bottomline I don't want to screw up my thighs.

I'm a CA glue believer. CA stands for Cyanoacrylate also knows as superglue and can be found and any hobby store.

-------

Extra thick 10-25 sec. Glue. It says apply to one surface and hold tightly for 10 seconds. I let it sit for about 15 minutes even though I didn't have to and then glued the next pieces and so on. It all worked great and I cut my armor pieces in half so that I could glue the armor together like they were done in the movies and in the promo shots.

-------

Here are my biceps old and new showing the cap strips.

----------

All armor pieces took 6 glue sessions to complete instead of the normal 2 if you used the overlapping edges to glue together. I cut the overlapping pieces in half and glued one side to the strip, then the other side to the same strip. Then glued the inside strip for extra support. then did the same with the other side. They hold great and have not had any issues as of yet. This was the first time I had ever built armor and I didn't mess up one piece except that I made my strips too wide for th biceps. That's why I made new ones. I also used it on my gun when gluing the resin pieces on it.

Marvinbot, I would try to put paper towels folded up under the clamps. I used that to hold my armor together while it was gluing so I could do more than one piece at a time. It works great and should protect your armor from getting scratched. You might even try cutting some sponges you would use to clean dishes with. they make thin sponge rag things that would work perfectly I think.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 4 months later...

I use S100, it is glue for making waterproof connection of PVC parts, but it can be used for ABS or HPS. It only needs strong press these glued part together. It harden in few hours. Guys use it, when tuning cars. It works on solvent base. When it drops on plastic, it will makes small hole.