Just received my ATA helmet!

Jedd382

My bucket came in the mail a few minutes ago and I am super excited. Been doing tons of research getting ready for it and I am open to suggestions and criticisms you guys have. This will be my first time working with ABS (Ive done a resin clone helmet) so Im pretty new at this. Unfortunately I'm working the next three days so I can't get started till next week...

post-22180-0-51497000-1418408259_thumb.jpg

Pandatrooper has a great ATA step-by-step. Follow the mold lines on the inside of the eyes and give yourself a little extra room on the ears just in case. I'm still on cutting, but I can say that if you paint the inside black, use many, many coats because mine scratches off when I try to fit the face into the cap. Also, might seem obvious, but I keep cutting the outside of my faceplate where I don't want cuts, so be vigilant if you're going for the freshly issued look. I'll have to make mine practically battle-damaged at this point lol. Good luck with yours :duim:

post-22180-0-72622600-1418761577_thumb.jpg

post-22180-0-30849000-1418761184_thumb.jpg

Ok. Ive read, reread, and reread Pandatrooper's tutorial and and finally got some time to get started. Here's what Ive got so far. Was going to attach more pics but Im limited on kb... If anybody sees something I should work on or fix please let me know.

Edited by Jedd382

Only two things this newb can see so far:

A) Teeth could be a little more squared off. In the pics you posted they appear to be rounded still.

B) I really like the look of buckets that taper the eyebrow trim in line with the trap above the ear. I would suggest looking at some examples of that and then plot your own course.

Your work looks great so far!

ditto on the teeth and do not trim the neck opening until you have it all together and the ears on, then do a nice trim around the whole thing, the ATA trim seals it up rather nicely for a clean look 

• 10 months later...

So, its been almost a year since Ive updated this post with my progress but the rest of my armor is now on the way!!!! Since my last update I have faught with the ears and completed the hand painted details. Got a set of Dave M decals on the way for the tube stripes, traps, and tears so Im just about there. Here are some pics of my progress. Any criticisms are welcome. The ears aren't perfect but Im scared to mess with em anymore as they are the last set. 

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working