The optional blaster

Definitely not. On the CRL, blasters are optional, but that is only for basic approval. If you intend to go Centurion, I recommend getting the correct blaster from the beginning. I kind of went ahead and decided to build towards centurion during my armor build instead of before, and therefore i am now having to purchase a more accurate blaster to go down that road.

Hope that helps!

So, to sum up:

A blaster is required for Centurion. It's not optional. The Weapons Policy only applies to basic level.  The blaster is only optional for basic level approval. 

Correct?

Correct.

• Like 1

It also stems from the fact that FISD Expert Infantry and Centurion awards are independent from 501st, so we can put whatever we like as requirements. But we try to co-ordinate them with 501st level 2 and 3 requirements.

• Like 1

It also stems from the fact that FISD Expert Infantry and Centurion awards are independent from 501st, so we can put whatever we like as requirements. But we try to co-ordinate them with 501st level 2 and 3 requirements.

It might be independent from the Legion, but, when your CO or XO needs a TK for an official Lucas event, the EIB or Centurion will pass in front of the level 1 TK's. So I think it's still a major part of the Legion.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by Tolo
  • Like 1

It might be independent from the Legion, but, when your CO or XO needs a TK for an official Lucas event, the EIB or Centurion will pass in front of the level 1 TK's. So I think it's still a major part of the Legion.

That has nothing to do with which awards they hold. That has to do with looking better than others. The awards hold no real value other than being something attractive to encourage people to make better costumes.

That has nothing to do with which awards they hold. That has to do with looking better than others. The awards hold no real value other than being something attractive to encourage people to make better costumes.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying, but, knowing that you have these levels of certifications, even independent, they do keep it in mind. And mostly for accuracy in such events.

Well, the intent was that the EI & Centurion become the L2/L3, just like on IOC the Executor and Imperator are the L2/L3, and for MEPD the Deployed and SWAT are L2/L3. The grand vision back in 2009-ish was that it would all be under one roof, but that was 2-3 LMO's ago. The Legion leadership was moving slower than the Legion membership, hence the voluntary award programs springing all over the place (most of the big dets have them now).

Mathias is right - what your garrison chooses to do is up to each one independently, same with LFL.

To be more precise, the Centurion/EI are recognition awards for costuming excellence and to encourage Legion members to go beyond the base CRL, which was out of the box FX at the time.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I'm slightly confused as to whether there is a L2 and L3 for FISD...and a separate L2 and L3 for 501st Legion?

Where do you go for the 501st legion  L2 and L3?

Basic approval is looked after by the 501st via your GML, higher levels ie; L2 and L3 are looked after by the detachments, in this case for Stormtroopers it's FISD.

Look at it this way, 501st has only 1 level of entry. Membership. That's L1. If your costume meets L2 or L3 then you're probably also qualified for FISD EIB or Centurion. But from a 501st membership perspective it doesn't matter if you do or don't, as all members are equals.

Basic approval is looked after by the 501st via your GML, higher levels ie; L2 and L3 are looked after by the detachments, in this case for Stormtroopers it's FISD.

i was confused about that as well. Thanks for clearing up the differences in approvals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at it this way, 501st has only 1 level of entry. Membership. That's L1. If your costume meets L2 or L3 then you're probably also qualified for FISD EIB or Centurion. But from a 501st membership perspective it doesn't matter if you do or don't, as all members are equals.

Correct. In the beginning EI/Centurion standards weren't even maintained in the CRL's they were entirely here on FISD, just like Deployed, Lancer, etc. standards were 100% self-contained and managed by the detachments.

The problem with that is that it meant unless someone haunted the detachments, which most members don't, it was hard to communicate out to the GMLs what these optional standards were, and a lot of new members were upset that they could have built their costume to a higher standard had they known.

So, the decision was made - and this is one of the better ones done by the LMO/Legion - to bake in the L2/L3 standards directly in the CRLs so that it was seamless, and everyone had the same information.

I'll take Mathias' comment regarding that there is only one standard for membership - L1 - further. Even here on FISD, every TK is a full member regardless of L1/L2/L3 status.

EI/Centurion programs, just like the MEPD deployed forebear and the others like it (Lancer, Dark Lord, Imperator, etc.) are only ever costume achievement recognition awards. The only tangible benefit for the recipients is to be eternally enshrined on the awardee list, access to the occasional merch piece, and the everlasting pride that they did more than the minimum standard.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
7 minutes ago, CleenFeet said:

Anyone know if this meets centurion standards? 

https://www.evike.com/products/61969/

Not out of box. Has only half a hengstler, and t-tracks needs adjusting to start. But it could be a decent base to start with, if you insisted in having a metal blaster. If not, there are other kits that are more accurate.

• 3 years later...

Just out of curiosity, would this rule exclude entire Garrisons located in countries that prohibit the import or possession of even replica firearms? Not a huge fan of that idea. It also adds an additional cost to the costume that some may find prohibitive to pursuing higher levels of certification. 

1 hour ago, TheRascalKing said:

Just out of curiosity, would this rule exclude entire Garrisons located in countries that prohibit the import or possession of even replica firearms? Not a huge fan of that idea. It also adds an additional cost to the costume that some may find prohibitive to pursuing higher levels of certification. 

This topic has also been raised in the past. As it has been so rare of an occurrence it is taken on a case by case scenario.

• Like 2

That can be a real headache couple of years ago, but with the blooming of domestic 3D printing technology, I can easily imagine someone can make a decent build out of printed parts and a pvc pipe, if one has the will to do it (indeed it is a time consuming task).

Plus, the files are readily available here on the forum 3D-printing section, no reason not to give a look into it.

Countries that banned replica firearms/ mock-up props outright are out of the question sadly.

Also good to note, EI and Centurion are purely optional as is the need for a blaster at basic level.

Nothing to stop anyone from still building to the highest level so they look the best they can  :)

• 3 months later...

What are thoughts on Rogue One S&T blasters for EI / Centurion? CRL doesn't explicitly exclude the blaster, but for accuracy matters, it's not really accurate. Just asking before I begin my EI request and whether I'll need to begin another Cup Noodle diet :P

Edited by fishgoh0nk

5 hours ago, fishgoh0nk said:

What are thoughts on Rogue One S&T blasters for EI / Centurion? CRL doesn't explicitly exclude the blaster, but for accuracy matters, it's not really accurate. Just asking before I begin my EI request and whether I'll need to begin another Cup Noodle diet :P

I know you are going for R1, James, but in my humble opinion the S & T leaves a lot to be desired for not only R1 but OT purposes as well.  To be honest, I wouldn't pass it at EI for any costume as it is.

Just a few quick observations...

1.  T-tracks don't extend far back enough.

2.  Wires from counter to power cylinders not accurate for any film used models.  Those were only seen in promo shots.

3.  Incorrect Hengstler for R1

4.  Scope sits WAY too far back.

5.  Scope style is not accurate for any E-11 used in the franchise.

6.  For R1, the power cylinders/mounting bracket are OK, but for ANH it's too wide and center details are incorrect.

7.  Hengstler is mounted in the wrong position.

8.  Incorrect grip for OT approvals.

1                                                                     2                                                             3                                                             4                                                        5

8c4x0zm.png?1    pqOBEkM.png?1    0uYkYFP.png?1    36abFgM.png?1    TUua97M.png?1

6                                                                                                      7                                                                                                   8

G6LOhsc.png?1       Gd2aIuW.png?1     XmRT960.png?1

The functioning folding stock is cool, but depending on the price it would involve a lot of work and more accurate replacement pieces than it's worth to get this blaster up to specs for approval in my opinion.

4 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

I know you are going for R1, James, but in my humble opinion the S & T leaves a lot to be desired for not only R1 but OT purposes as well.  To be honest, I wouldn't pass it at EI for any costume as it is. [...]                                 

The functioning folding stock is cool, but depending on the price it would involve a lot of work and more accurate replacement pieces than it's worth to get this blaster up to specs for approval in my opinion.

Just to clarify a few things, James is going for ANH, not RO, which was why I was concerned that the S&T would not qualify, as it is not cast off of an actual Sterling SMG as it should be.

It should be noted that the S&T is sold in two configurations - a base Sterling-esque replica AEG, and a "finished" E-11-style blaster. The base Sterling replica is absolutely accurate for Rogue One. The "finished" blaster however is woefully inadequate in its accessories. Production clearly used commonly available hobby-level parts from DoopyDoos and SDS on the base Sterling, not the finished models. As James swapped out the scope already and a wonderful thread detailing the differences is available, I'll assume that he knew that. 

The real question is - is the BASE S&T blaster with corrected ANH style accessories passable in lieu of the correct Sterling cast base for an ANH submission at L2/L3? I'm curious too.

• Like 1