The optional blaster

5 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

I know you are going for R1, James, but in my humble opinion the S & T leaves a lot to be desired for not only R1 but OT purposes as well.  To be honest, I wouldn't pass it at EI for any costume as it is.

Just a few quick observations...

1.  T-tracks don't extend far back enough.

2.  Wires from counter to power cylinders not accurate for any film used models.  Those were only seen in promo shots.

3.  Incorrect Hengstler for R1

4.  Scope sits WAY too far back.

5.  Scope style is not accurate for any E-11 used in the franchise.

6.  For R1, the power cylinders/mounting bracket are OK, but for ANH it's too wide and center details are incorrect.

7.  Hengstler is mounted in the wrong position.

8.  Incorrect grip for OT approvals.

1                                                                     2                                                             3                                                             4                                                        5

8c4x0zm.png?1    pqOBEkM.png?1    0uYkYFP.png?1    36abFgM.png?1    TUua97M.png?1

6                                                                                                      7                                                                                                   8

G6LOhsc.png?1       Gd2aIuW.png?1     XmRT960.png?1

The functioning folding stock is cool, but depending on the price it would involve a lot of work and more accurate replacement pieces than it's worth to get this blaster up to specs for approval in my opinion.

34 minutes ago, TheRascalKing said:

Just to clarify a few things, James is going for ANH, not RO, which was why I was concerned that the S&T would not qualify, as it is not cast off of an actual Sterling SMG as it should be.

It should be noted that the S&T is sold in two configurations - a base Sterling-esque replica AEG, and a "finished" E-11-style blaster. The base Sterling replica is absolutely accurate for Rogue One. The "finished" blaster however is woefully inadequate in its accessories. Production clearly used commonly available hobby-level parts from DoopyDoos and SDS on the base Sterling, not the finished models. As James swapped out the scope already and a wonderful thread detailing the differences is available, I'll assume that he knew that. 

The real question is - is the BASE S&T blaster with corrected ANH style accessories passable in lieu of the correct Sterling cast base for an ANH submission at L2/L3? I'm curious too.

@justjoseph63 Yup, I'm going for ANH and currently have an S&T, modified per feedback in ANH specifications, everything you listed minus the grip.

The grip is a bit difficult to change without destroying the airsoft functionality of the gun, because the airsoft motor resides in the grip. If I absolutely had to change the grip, I would opt to part ways with the S&T for someone going R1 rather than modding it, "I would sooner destroy a stained glass window than an artist like yourself" - Wesley (Princess Bride)

cU2jgXU.jpg

uhLbhl2.jpg

I added longer TTracks, mounted a Chris Fieldmarshall M38 and moved the hengstler into position (rear foot of scope in light with stock hinge, hengstler logo in line with scop front foot), I also changed the power cylinder coils. I think the D-ring is slightly different and lastly, the grip.

@TheRascalKingWow, you either lurk a lot or dug up my old posts quick :) Amazing recon into my E11 modifications. :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

I'm assuming Joseph is implying it could pass approval if everything was modified, I'm asking how lenient would EI, maybe event Centurion approval be with the modifications I made. High quality resin blasters seem to be out of market, given DoopyDoos seems to have slowed, so I'm currently looking for sturdy, resilient L2/L3 passable options.

Edited by fishgoh0nk
typos

I think you have done a spectacular job on this, James!   Since the ANH blaster is based on an actual Sterling, one item that really bothers me for EI is the grip.  The grip is not based on a Sterling blaster but rather an Airsoft.  Among other things, the Sterling grips were much more rounded on the sides and the overall shape is significantly different.

S & T                                         Sterling

XmRT960.png?2   9jmSCvb.jpg?1

Unfortunately another item that would be a show-stopper for Level 3 is the power cylinders.  While the size of the actual cylinders looks good, it's the spacing is what is throwing them off.  Note in the reference images how close together they are.  They are also missing the correct fuses in the center.  The fuses aren't the biggest of deals by any means, but with your eye for detail and tenacity I honestly feel that you could whip something up that would look danged close.

FyMJUbg.jpg  A20x6Y4.png  8cTTcuC.jpg  nrgxJpS.png

I realize that those details are not specifically listed in the CRL, but as stated in there we use screen used references as well as those listed in the CRL.  

Based on the amazing things you have done with this blaster so far, I have every faith that you can pull this off, sir.  If I can be of any help, just PM me.

• Like 3

Just to be crystal clear... the grip would be required to be changed on the S&T for approval as ANH Expert Infantry?

At that point, I would pull the accessories off and just get a different blaster, if as James said, modifying the grip would ruin the functionality...

I realize we're nitpicking, but I feel like if we set this precedent, it should be noted somewhere as well so others are aware!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Lets look at the wording for the ANH E-11 in the CRL

Based on a real or replica Sterling sub-machine gun, scratch-built, or a modified commercial toy Stormtrooper blaster.

This does not change for EI as nothing is mentioned., Toy Stormtrooper blasters are not accurate in themselves and probably less accurate than your S & T.

At Centurion it is clear that we don't accept modified toys or Bapty's as they are not accurate to ANH sterling, so that would also cover any blaster not accurate to the ANH Sterling which unfortunately also would cover any blaster S & T or otherwise with incorrect parts.

Bapty-style, Hasbro and Rubies blasters are not allowed, even conversions.

I think the CRL currently explains itself well enough, but I have no problem in adding additional items to the centurion list. We didn't have these available to members when this section of the CRL was written so not possible to exclude something that hadn't previously existed.

I would certainly be adverse to requesting anyone modify an expensive Airsoft to a point it is no longer usable, therefor my recommendation would be to not use it in our high level approval.

• Like 2

The CRL for R1 states that either the Sterling airsoft or Sterling sub machine-gun can be used at higher levels.  Just my 2 cents here (and nothing against airsoft) but since they were not around when the original films were made and the grip is way different I am on the side of precluding them for higher levels of OT approvals.

I’m confused, I thought we were discussing this for an ANH approval?

Joseph are you suggesting we also axe the Airsoft from the R1 CRL as well unless it has the grip replaced?

23 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Lets look at the wording for the ANH E-11 in the CRL

Based on a real or replica Sterling sub-machine gun, scratch-built, or a modified commercial toy Stormtrooper blaster.

This does not change for EI as nothing is mentioned., Toy Stormtrooper blasters are not accurate in themselves and probably less accurate than your S & T.

At Centurion it is clear that we don't accept modified toys or Bapty's as they are not accurate to ANH sterling, so that would also cover any blaster not accurate to the ANH Sterling which unfortunately also would cover any blaster S & T or otherwise with incorrect parts.

Bapty-style, Hasbro and Rubies blasters are not allowed, even conversions.

I think the CRL currently explains itself well enough, but I have no problem in adding additional items to the centurion list. We didn't have these available to members when this section of the CRL was written so not possible to exclude something that hadn't previously existed.

I would certainly be adverse to requesting anyone modify an expensive Airsoft to a point it is no longer usable, therefor my recommendation would be to not use it in our high level approval.

So theoretically... while I build a new Centurion blaster, I could try for EI with my current S&T? Either way, good news for R1 guys, expect a modified S&T to be up soon in 501 marketplace :) (granted the powers that be don't axe the S&T airsoft from CRL o_O)

7 minutes ago, fishgoh0nk said:

So theoretically... while I build a new Centurion blaster, I could try for EI with my current S&T? Either way, good news for R1 guys, expect a modified S&T to be up soon in 501 marketplace :) (granted the powers that be don't axe the S&T airsoft from CRL o_O)

DIBS! Message me lol

Sounds like yes for EIB, no for Centurion for ANH. The S&T (with proper accessories) should be approvable at all levels for RO.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheRascalKing said:

DIBS! Message me lol

Sounds like yes for EIB, no for Centurion for ANH. The S&T (with proper accessories) should be approvable at all levels for RO.

I'll ping you once I get another blaster going - this is my only blaster and I got some troops coming up :D And gotta go break some piggy banks, seems like I'm going for the Fieldmarshall/Warmachine kit.

Subject to change? LOL

12 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

The CRL for R1 states that either the Sterling airsoft or Sterling sub machine-gun can be used at higher levels.  Just my 2 cents here (and nothing against airsoft) but since they were not around when the original films were made and the grip is way different I am on the side of precluding them for higher levels of OT approvals.

12 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Joseph are you suggesting we also axe the Airsoft from the R1 CRL as well unless it has the grip replaced?

• Like 1

Just now, fishgoh0nk said:

I'll ping you once I get another blaster going - this is my only blaster and I got some troops coming up :D And gotta go break some piggy banks, seems like I'm going for the Fieldmarshall/Warmachine kit.

Subject to change? LOL

Warmachine is DOPE but not ideal for trooping. Word on the street is Hellhounds might FINALLY have some ANH ready to ship, so that's a great option too.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 8:58 AM, Sly11 said:

Sorry for the late reply, but I think Airsoft grip is fine at all levels for R1, and I really wouldn't even have a problem with EI for ANH/ESB, but for Centurion the grip should be replaced and the power cylinders need to match official references (or at least be close).

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I am currently in the process of getting my ESB costume approved for EIB and following this thread, I have my doubts that the current blaster from RS PropMaster would qualify me for a Centurion Level (for example the D-Ring is non-existent). However, I plan to build an ANH E-11 based on TroopaCoola. For the Centurion status, does it matter if it is an ANH or ESB Blaster?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, TookBreaker said:

For the Centurion status, does it matter if it is an ANH or ESB Blaster?

Yes you need the correct blaster for each particular costume.

There is an ESB blaster which is the same as ANH minus the power cylinders and Hengslter also swap out the sight, some 3D files are available for the scope, so there's that option ;)

3ab783_8008f7be66d44dae8e6c48a86d6c8ada.jpg

3ab783_7b692f8862544a938dc860fa8b5569af.jpg

XH46UjF.jpg

gallery_14191_5_41102.jpg

The ESB promo shot shows a blaster without a D ring, whether the DO's will accept that only they can answer @Deployment Officer Team

Pugman-ESB-Stromtrooper-blaster-Leia2.jp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Yes you need the correct blaster for each particular costume.

There is an ESB blaster which is the same as ANH minus the power cylinders and Hengslter also swap out the sight, some 3D files are available for the scope, so there's that option ;)

3ab783_8008f7be66d44dae8e6c48a86d6c8ada.jpg

3ab783_7b692f8862544a938dc860fa8b5569af.jpg

XH46UjF.jpg

gallery_14191_5_41102.jpg

The ESB promo shot shows a blaster without a D ring, whether the DO's will accept that only they can answer @Deployment Officer Team

Pugman-ESB-Stromtrooper-blaster-Leia2.jp

Thank you, @gmrhodes13. I expected that. This changes my plans for how to make it work with the Blast FX as this seems to be mostly oriented on the ANH Blaster. 

• Like 1