Episode 7 Stormtrooper Helmet, WIP

There's a little thing that jumped at me when looking at it, the orientation of the mesh under the nose plate is off:

galler11.jpg

Maybe this orientation comes down to how the helmet is assembled so this little detail might be irrelevant, but just i case i thought i'd mention it before molds are done.

Hi Germain,

The mesh is just in rendered in there for the look. I will be having a sheet of mesh laser cut to match and I will add it to the master before casting. 

If you notice, the mictip also sticks out a little far in the rendering. This is also no issue since it's a completely separate piece and once cast will fit in just right.

Roy has also made some minor detail changes on the latches.

Thanks everyone for the great comments on the model. We're both really excited about the project and hope to be able to get these in the community soon (ish - thinking July timeframe).

Edited by Dday
  • Like 4

Nice work. :)

Will you be offering these as kits, finished helmets, or both?

The goal is both.

Right off the bat they will be only kits as I will be shopping around my area to find a show/person that can do the paint professionally and without such a crazy price. I have a few choices lined up for painters but I"m just waiting to have a finished casting in hand so that I can have him do a test paint.

The kits will include all the detail parts but will leave the internal parts up to you, as in how you get it suspended on your head. Once things get going I may look into adding a suspension system, but I've gotta get started first :D

• Like 4

The goal is both.

Right off the bat they will be only kits as I will be shopping around my area to find a show/person that can do the paint professionally and without such a crazy price. I have a few choices lined up for painters but I"m just waiting to have a finished casting in hand so that I can have him do a test paint.

The kits will include all the detail parts but will leave the internal parts up to you, as in how you get it suspended on your head. Once things get going I may look into adding a suspension system, but I've gotta get started first :D

I look forward to picking the kit up! Thanks again for taking this project on and for making these available to the troops. You rock! :duim:

Just out of curiosity, what basis did you use for the overall size? The dimensions look very good, but how did you determine the overall size to make it? Maybe I am incorrect (and I probably am:)) but the ANOVOS seems to be a touch big -? Like maybe 5% oversized? It could also be the troopers I have seen wearing it compared to the trailer actors (who may be taller than the OT 5'10" actors).

Just curious if this is about ANOVOS size or if any info was gleamed at Cvii that would let us know just what the proper size is?

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, what basis did you use for the overall size? The dimensions look very good, but how did you determine the overall size to make it? Maybe I am incorrect (and I probably am:)) but the ANOVOS seems to be a touch big -? Like maybe 5% oversized? It could also be the troopers I have seen wearing it compared to the trailer actors (who may be taller than the OT 5'10" actors).

Just curious if this is about ANOVOS size or if any info was gleamed at Cvii that would let us know just what the proper size is?

The sizing was based on first a gut feeling compared to the other parts of the armor and their sizing, and trying to get a similar sizing to the original TK helmet, but a few % smaller.

Once the C7 photos came out of the 2 screen used suits Roy was able to run lots of overlays of the photos to get the shape and sizing relative to the other parts and their known sizing. Comparing it to the ANOVOS helmet, I'm not sure. From their details they scanned one of several different helmets made for he production and I read somewhere there are several sized and versions of the helmets. It is possible they got a larger size to scan from.

Our ultimate model was the 2 helmets used at C7 on the display with the orange background.

• Like 3

Great work from you guys. This is a set of armour that will be in great demand. I for one want one already. This is the next generation stormtrooper. With an RS ANH build underway it would be great to have a TFA build as a comparrison to show the evolution of the stormtrooper. I for one will contribute kickstater when it is up. Thanks.

• Like 1

Roy and I are working on a newer version, tweaking a few small details you might or might not notice. I'll update the thread with new photos once they are done.

For Roy, a masters work is never done!

• Like 3

Don't think I have ever looked forward to seeing a physical version of a model of any helmet so much, glad you are taking your time with this and look forward to you guys making it happen , very cool

Edited by Al may

• 2 weeks later...

Roy and I are working on a newer version, tweaking a few small details you might or might not notice. I'll update the thread with new photos once they are done.

For Roy, a masters work is never done!

Looking foreword to you updates. 

It may just be the newness of the helmet, along with an untrained eye, but this helmet looks a lot like the ANOVOS helmet to me. 

Looking foreword to you updates. 

It may just be the newness of the helmet, along with an untrained eye, but this helmet looks a lot like the ANOVOS helmet to me. 

I agree that it is the newness and untrained eye  ;)

Since they are both a TFA trooper, they will be very similar. Plus both ANOVOS and our helmet is based off of original source material, they will be very close. There are some very obvious queues between the 2 when you train your eyes to them.

The biggest is the size of the temple area. On the ANOVOS helmet, they stick out quite a bit. Our helmet has them flat like the screen prop suits.

The cheek chicklet is very smooth edged on the ANOVOS where ours has crisper lines.

Positioning of the mictip is the same as the C7 display suits and ANOVOS is turned a little different.

There are some other differences, but I'll leave those to help you train your eye  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

Excellent work guys loving the fact that you will be putting in the undercut under the chin and flattening the sides of the temples the 2 most things that stuck out on my TFA Anovos helmet ;)

Looking forward to seeing the finished master mold mate and are very tempted :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Excellent work guys loving the fact that you will be putting in the undercut under the chin and flattening the sides of the temples the 2 most things that stuck out on my TFA Anovos helmet ;)

Looking forward to seeing the finished master mold mate and are very tempted :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve!

Roy has really worked on this chin, and the chin shown is actually changing a little bit. Based on the film helmets the current model is a little fat and not quite as defined as we'd like it to be. The next iteration before prototyping will have this cleaned up a little.

• Like 1

Hi Derrek,

Great, very diligent work. Would you mind sharing if this helmet will be "slush cast" or vacuformed? I'm trying to get a sense of weight. My current helmet is rather heavy for a long-term troop like a parade. I'd like to update to lighter weight helmet in the future. Thanks very much, -krista :atat:

Hi Derrek,

Great, very diligent work. Would you mind sharing if this helmet will be "slush cast" or vacuformed? I'm trying to get a sense of weight. My current helmet is rather heavy for a long-term troop like a parade. I'd like to update to lighter weight helmet in the future. Thanks very much, -krista :atat:

Hi Krista,

The helmet will be slush cast. I will be making them lighter vs your normal Fiberglass helmet, so it should be a noticeable difference between the ANOVOS fiberglass helmet. If you are looking for ultra lightweight, I know at least one armor maker who is going to be doing an ABS vacuformed one. Not sure on the timeline for these... but they will come. 

• Like 2

Here is something interesting to check out.

Some test prints. Are the grid squares REALLY BIG, or REALLY SMALL?  :smiley-sw013:

image003_zpsajlgzdfw.png