Episode 7 Stormtrooper Helmet, WIP

So, is this just for the helmet, or will this be for the whole suit?

This is just the helmet.

The armor will be vacuformed ABS similar to the original suits, and in it looks like the helmets are resin rotocast.

I know there is at least one TK maker who is looking to make the TK7 armor and helmet all in formed ABS... but you'll have to wait for this build thread on it's own.

• Like 1

I'm in to help get this started - will you announce sales/kick start here or on a sales thread?

I will announce here, but will also setup a thread for it giving all of the details we have collected in one post. Don't fear, you won't miss it!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Can you share a frontal render of the helmet? I really like to make myself a 3D model to make my helmet.

Big news, the next to final design is ready.

This represents everything we currently know about the helmet as well as some additional parts that in time you will find, are exactly like the screen used ones.

EP7-TK_WIP_zpsiipgo3iz.jpg

We do welcome any inputs you have on the design. The goal is to get it as accurate as possible.

Sorry, I can see that this image links to several 3D renders.

Enrique,

I would really tread carefully. If you make your 3D render based on the details you find in our renders, you're copying another persons work and technically recasting. Plus, if you copy details from our 3D renders, you will be copying any imperfections we may have in our design.

The best bet is to follow the TFA threads and collect the best highres photos you can find for your details and model. This is the only way to ensure you get an accurate model, please it feels good to copy the original and not to copy a copy of an original.

These designs are not from LFL, official 3D models or from any insider information. They were made solely by Roy based on his hard and diligent work from screen captures of screen used helmets.

• Like 3

Looking good guys.

Are you going to injection mould these like the originals? :laugh1:

Seriously you've done a great job.

At the moment I have not looked into Injection molding. The problem being that the tooling is going to be astronomical (at least 15k, probably more). I will look around at getting quotes for this but in the mean time it is likely that it will be a rotocast PUR with fiberglass backing for added strength if required.

Final process not completely decided upon.

LOL,

I wouldn't expect you to be injection moulding these.... Disney/LFL only went this route because the guy that got the job had an injection moulding machine!

Sounds like you know him, hook me up! :D

Funnily enough I've just seen a friend who does costume for TV and film.... She is doing a robot costume for a childrens series airing later this year and took some stormtrooper parts as a base.... You probably won't recognise it by the time she finishes it but kinda cool.... Anyway she said she'd just spoken to a friend about picking them up and he has been working on Episode VII stormtroopers! Obviously I asked if she can hook me up...... LOL

I see. I was just curious as it would a be a strange thing to do unless you wanted to make at least hundreds of them.. The only "official" information I've been able to find says the helmets (and armour) were moulded polyurethane so, the could be meaning reaction injection moulding but even then.. that would be a weird thing to do, unless of course you wanted hundreds.. 

The guy that did them owns the machines so he thought he would do them like that. I believe it was a prop shop in pinewood. I forget his name. They also 3D printed a lot of stuff and a lot of props got broken because of how fragile they were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmm. It sounds to me like people confusing language.

Propshop is a fabrication facility at Pinewood studios. Off topic but, props get broken on films all the time. 3D printing has less to do with it than the fact that props aren't designed to be hard wearing by industrial designers, they're designed to look cool by concept artists.

Edited by Natalie
  • Like 1

Dday,

I´m aware of what you are telling me. I have several pictures of helmets from Celebration to help me with the differences that I already discovered and I´m working on those differences.

Thank you very much anyway for your advice. I just wanted to have a non lens-distorted images, because the pictures from celebration have differences due to the camera lens, angle and near-far position from wich where taken.

Enrique,

I would really tread carefully. If you make your 3D render based on the details you find in our renders, you're copying another persons work and technically recasting. Plus, if you copy details from our 3D renders, you will be copying any imperfections we may have in our design.

These look really good lads. I'm in for a few quid!

Hi Stu, thanks for the interest!

I will update here when we have some newer models to show.

Can you share a frontal render of the helmet? I really like to make myself a 3D model to make my helmet.

Wow, nice level of detail!

Slightly off topic, do any of you armor suppliers have a guestimate as to how much the fan made armor may run, if you had to guess?

I'm not making armor but I would guess it will be in the same range as your TK armors, or a little big higher because of the additional pieces.

Wow, nice level of detail!

Thanks Paul! Roy is really knocking this out of the park.

Right now he is working on recreating the sculpt based on the new photos we have of the screen suits and fixing the proportions.