Episode 7 Stormtrooper Helmet, WIP

So, I approached Roy Gilsing (Wannawanga on the FISD) (www.wannawanga.com) about doing some 3D design. We had a discussion around the Episode 7 Helmet and came to a partnership to produce these in and for the FISD community.

So, Roy has been working hard  around his normal job designing some awesome consumer and industrial products www.roygilsing.com to help provide us troopers some helmets.

Once the design has been finished and vetted by all of us detail freaks here on the FISD, we will get the master CNC cut and I will then mold it in silicone. Once this is done, castings in resin and for sale here on the FISD!

I will be updating the build as Roy creates the base model and through the physical build process.

So without further ado, here is the first draft of the helmet.

ScreenClip_zpseb284abc.png

There are a LOT of things missing at the moment and some modifications have already been identified.

I just wanted to put this up in the hopes that we can crowdsource the build a little, get the ideas of this great community and let you know that we are working on it!

We are really waiting on more views of the helmet so we can get this right the first time, but in the mean time there is a lot of base work to be done.

Please take the photo above with a little knowledge that it is a rough start and will be changing a lot as we work on it.

Edited by Dday
  • Like 9

Looks like a solid start, but yeah...  At this point in time, there are a lot of details that we still haven't seen (the left side of the bucket... LoL).

This is an exciting time to be a member of FISD!!!

Great start to an awesome project.

Sorry I don't know enough about 3d printing limitations but would it be possible to 3D print the helmet in parts?

Thank you Derrek and Roy for working on making these helmets a reality for the community.

lmfao at "the left side," but you know these buckets are usually symmetrical (for the most part) lol.

glad to see this concept.

I'm glad they left the overall feel of the TK the same at least. Hopefully some old TK parts can still be used for the new TK.

Good job so far!

Edited by illusionz_09

Great start to an awesome project.

Sorry I don't know enough about 3d printing limitations but would it be possible to 3D print the helmet in parts?

Thank you Derrek and Roy for working on making these helmets a reality for the community.

Brian, It is possible to 3D print the helmet in parts based on the 3D design that Roy is building up. Once he is finished with the 3D model, it can either be 3D printed or CNC machined out of a solid block of plastic.

Both are similar but if it is 3D printed it will come in multiple parts which will have to be cleaned up, assembled and then molded. In a CNC situation, the entire thing is a single piece already assembled and parts ready for molding as it with very minimal cleanup. It is a more costly solution but I think it a better product which means a better casting.

Once Roy and I get far enough to make the decision, he may offer the 3D files for sale for someone who wants to print their own instead of buying a resin version. That is a ways down the road once we're done with the masters.

lmfao at "the left side," but you know these buckets are usually symmetrical (for the most part) lol.

glad to see this concept.

I'm glad they left the overall feel of the TK the same at least. Hopefully some old TK parts can still be used for the new TK.

Good job so far!

The OT was Asymmetrical, the PT was symmetrical and the ST is.... well we aren't 100% sure just yet. From the views we currently have the TK looks like a symmetrical helmet, but truly we have not seen anything but the left and about 1/4 of the rightside from extrapolation of the stills. They might still surprise us. There is a reason they have only shown us a single side of the helmet in the first helmet release as well as the trailer... We will have to wait for May the 4th to really find out I think.

• Like 1

Incredible, what some people here are able to do with their skills...

And the FISD is an ideal platform where these people can meet.

In a few years we'll look back and say: That was the moment THE TFA-helmet was made...

• Like 2

Any chance that the Helmet may also be available in abs?

Andy

the problem with the helmet as we have seen so far is that the design doesn't lend itself to thermoforming very well.

It is a 1 piece design, so we think from what we have seen. This type of design has no way of being thermoformed in ABS. ABS can be used if you are 3D printing it but that is a completely different story.

The differences in a thermoformed ABS helmet and a resin helmet will of course be weight and rigidity.

The resin will be much heavier when compared to ABs but it will still be lightweight and not noticeable on your head. 2 kilos maybe (4.4lbs) Similar to a clone or any other similar sized helmet.

Edited by Dday

Brian, It is possible to 3D print the helmet in parts based on the 3D design that Roy is building up. Once he is finished with the 3D model, it can either be 3D printed or CNC machined out of a solid block of plastic.

Both are similar but if it is 3D printed it will come in multiple parts which will have to be cleaned up, assembled and then molded. In a CNC situation, the entire thing is a single piece already assembled and parts ready for molding as it with very minimal cleanup. It is a more costly solution but I think it a better product which means a better casting.

Once Roy and I get far enough to make the decision, he may offer the 3D files for sale for someone who wants to print their own instead of buying a resin version. That is a ways down the road once we're done with the masters.

Thanks for the reply on this. The single piece sounds better as you have explained. I am just intrigued by 3D printing but I am slowly learning the limitations involved. 

Based on the few photos we have seen of the new trooper helmets, what process do you think the prop guys used in creating the helmets? 

Wondering if they use some sort of injection molding/casting process kinda like car parts are made as suggested by Nick. 

Edited by Bulldog44

I might suggest injection molding, but that can be expensive for large pieces/molds.

The costume guys probably had a massive budget for this film, considering who is backing it and how much they stand to make on the film.

My guess without any real knowledge of their process is they did pretty much what Roy and I are doing. 3D modeled, likely 3d printed it on a big 3d printer, molded and cast it. Injection molding is indeed expensive and I think would not have been the route of choice for this. With short timelines and budgets and ease of doing, most will turn to resin casts that are painted with high gloss automotive paint.

Thanks for the reply on this. The single piece sounds better as you have explained. I am just intrigued by 3D printing but I am slowly learning the limitations involved. 

Based on the few photos we have seen of the new trooper helmets, what process do you think the prop guys used in creating the helmets? 

Wondering if they use some sort of injection molding/casting process kinda like car parts are made as suggested by Nick. 

Most of the limitations are based on the side of printer you have. The bigger the plate and articulation is, the bigger items you can make. 3D printing is ok for the first piece but when you want to make 10 or 20 or more... the time involved in 3d printing right now is very high. In the time it takes to print one copy, I can take a master and get it molded and probably cast at least 1 copy. Then in the time they are printing the 2nd one, I can have 5 more cast.

Interesting news, Paul!

Did you find a way to vac-form it in ABS?

Just wondered as Derrek stated, there is no way of being thermoformed in ABS.

Edited by T-Jay

While Derrek won't be making them in ABS, I will. I already know how I'll do it, but I'll leave that for my own build thread later :)

This is awesome and we all are waiting anxiously for the update!

• Like 1

Here is another shot from the webs with unconfirmed details of the left side of the helmet.

SWVIIStormTrooperBucket_zpsb0f1e3b4.jpg

Thanks for the post. This photo surfaced at or around the same time as the actual shot of the other side of the helmet.

There is a lot of questioning regarding if it was accurate or not. Rumor was that they put in the mic on one side and not the other as a tip of the hat towards the asymmetrical nature of the originals.

However, nothing confirmed at all. Several early makers of this helmet copied this single tip design and it looks good, but it is really just a guess as we have not seen this far yet. From a design standpoint, as Roy said (he know what he is talking about here!) it makes no sense to put it, unless it is a deliberate addition.

We will just have to wait until more views of the helmet are released to know 100%. Roy will be making the design based on actual helmet data and nothing conceptual or conjecture. Gotta get it right the first time :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'm pretty sure the new troopers are 100% injection molded. Maybe we can convince lucasfilms to give us their 3d designs or make us a copy of their molds ( in an effort to better propagate the star wars brand via accurate costumes:)

I would certainly take one of these helmets when they are done, and I think CNC machined is the way to go for now

I couldn't wait, so I got a head start with a hand sculpted version;)

IMG_20150220_122628_808_zpsdcde5d53.jpg

• Like 1