3 peice helmet vs. 2 piece...

Hi again, all!  Well, I took your advice, and checked out several sellers on the "vetted" list.  One of them, (TR-----G--R) got back to me lightning fast, and the armor looks good, and it is obvious that he takes a lot of pride in it's construction.  However, I noticed that the helmet is in 3 pieces, (front/dome/back).  Will this be a problem getting 501st approval?  I have looked at literally hundreds of reference photos, and they are either 2 piece, or too blurry to tell.  I can forward the email he sent, which has a breakdown/description of the entire kit with pics, or post it online here, if that is allowed.  (I don't want to break any rules)!!!!!  I read on here that one should "check with the experts before a purchase", which is what I am doing.  I am also posting this question on the Tampa Bay/Makaze site, and would appreciate any and all info.  Thanks again for bearing with me in this endeavor!!!!  

Hi Joseph,

didn't find anything about 2 or 3 pieced helmets in the CRLs, so theroretically no problem to get approved with such a bucket - although I would suggest to go for a 2 pieced version (if possible).

My kit came with a 3 pc helmet as well. Shouldn't hinder a 501st qualification. There are builds on here showing how to eliminate the seam of the cap and back with "ABS paste." I ended up getting another helmet from a different maker and building the 3 pc (painted pink) for my GF.

Edited by cm325i

If it was a problem with ANY level of approval, it wouldn't be recommended from here. But for your information, none of the helmets made for the original films were three piece designs. A couple of armor makers have incorporated a three piece helmet into their designs and have hid the seams well so it appears NOT to be. 

Hi again, all!  Well, I took your advice, and checked out several sellers on the "vetted" list.  One of them, (TR-----G--R) got back to me lightning fast, and the armor looks good, and it is obvious that he takes a lot of pride in it's construction.  However, I noticed that the helmet is in 3 pieces, (front/dome/back).  Will this be a problem getting 501st approval?  I have looked at literally hundreds of reference photos, and they are either 2 piece, or too blurry to tell.  I can forward the email he sent, which has a breakdown/description of the entire kit with pics, or post it online here, if that is allowed.  (I don't want to break any rules)!!!!!  I read on here that one should "check with the experts before a purchase", which is what I am doing.  I am also posting this question on the Tampa Bay/Makaze site, and would appreciate any and all info.  Thanks again for bearing with me in this endeavor!!!!  

The original helmets are made in a 2 piece cap and back design.

There is nothing in the CRLs specifying the requirement of 2 or 3 pieces, as long as the 3piece design is not apparent once built it should not be a problem.

It is much easier to manufacture a 3 piece design.

Thanks for all your help!!!!  So, I am safe in assuming that this supplier, (TR-----G--R) , is safe to order from. 

TM (troopermaster) only offers longer shin pieces. All other molds are the same. 

I believe that his torso and other pieces are slightly bigger then the TE line of armors. 

I am pretty much average size, 5' 10, 155.  I see that some of you mentioned troopermaster, but I ordered my armor from troopergear.  I am assuming that he is reputable, as he is listed as a vetted seller on here.  Does anyone have any comments, tips or suggestions for this gear or build out?  It comes pre-trimmed, but I am sure there will be alterations.  He told me the next run of armor will be later this month, so I have the time to buy all the other stuff I will need.  cm3251 mentioned that there was some sort of ABS paste to eliminate the seam in the helmet.  Anyone know where I could locate that subject on here?  Thanks again, you guys rock!

I am pretty much average size, 5' 10, 155. I see that some of you mentioned troopermaster, but I ordered my armor from troopergear. I am assuming that he is reputable, as he is listed as a vetted seller on here. Does anyone have any comments, tips or suggestions for this gear or build out? It comes pre-trimmed, but I am sure there will be alterations. He told me the next run of armor will be later this month, so I have the time to buy all the other stuff I will need. cm3251 mentioned that there was some sort of ABS paste to eliminate the seam in the helmet. Anyone know where I could locate that subject on here? Thanks again, you guys rock!

ABS paste is made of scrap ABS melted with acetone. Use scrap ABS from your kit. This way, if done right, the paste will match your armor color.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Check my build for sizing the armor down. Im a tad heavier than you, im 5'10 and 185 lbs. got it to fit me perfectly, with some trimming of course :)