The new ep.VII blaster

Here we can discuss and speculate about the new troopers blaster as seen on ep.VII trailer

IMG_9306351835651.jpg

15280445983_b68242ccbf_o.jpg

IMG_9291837707024.jpg

From what i can see, it's an evolution of sterling, added lights, different scope, there is no holster, maybe the use magnetic

Edited by skyone

Few observations from picking the images apart :)

Definetly looks like the end of a standard sterling magazine.

Looks like the dark area at the barrel end is T-track or something giving the fin type shape.

Looks like a folding stock

White end cap

Rail mount for the scope

And I just noticed the trigger finger has some sort of white armour effect.

Need more pictures :)

At least if it's just an add on kit we don't have to worry too much about finding another base. The white is a bit to get used to but nice to finally have some lights as cannon :D

it's not a sterling. it's "sterling like" with the swap of the magazine, and the addition of the color white to the blaster and

some kind of "round" or power readout on the outside of the weapon is from a combat standpoint very bad.

imagine you're running out of ammo, and the enemy can see it clearly spoken on the side of the weapon.

some things I'd like to list

• folding stock hinge looks like a hasbro toy
  • scope looks far too much like a han solo scope ( and what's with the big shiny knob on the top? cmon... in a heads up display environment like stormtroopers have you don't need a manual focusing ring.)  BATTLE FRONT CLEARLY SHOWS A HEADS UP DISPLAY FOR TK
  • looks smaller and shorter
  • attaches to the armor using notches and a click in click out battle harness
  • ammo counter graphic steals from aliens the movie.
  • ammo counter is for all those gamer bots.

and I thought clone wars blasters were weird!

if JJ puts stormtroopers out there missing their targets. falling all over each other, and generally makes TK's look bad like in EVERY

Rebels episode. then I will really not want to wear modern gear.

stormtrooper armor in eposode 4 has a heads up display. optical sensors. a lock on target reticule

Han and Luke did not have the security codes to align the helmet to their eyesight.  which is what sequence 3 does on the abdomen plate

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392
  • Like 2

I have no knowledge about weapons or scopes whatsoever, but I did a visual search and found this one (I was looking for "pso-1 scope" on Google):

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7s7WVxqUnVg/UFvC8-eSj4I/AAAAAAAAAJ4/gGZHa7etEIs/s1600/psopartsdiagram.jpg

and this:

http://www.dragunov.net/optics/lps_trio_0014_600x.jpg

It is too big, I know, but to me it looks like it could have been the inspiration for the scope on the E-11-7.

There are some more varieties of Dragunov-Scopes. Perhaps one of them is the right one ...

Edited by Bone

First picture shows two red displays. One is placed in the magazine in a way, that it needs to be hollowed out and the end cap (with the knob and the word OFF) looks like it could easily break...

And there is no armor on the trigger finger. Might be an additional leather piece, as you can see some seams.

Edited by T-Jay

"And there is no armor on the trigger finger. It looks like an additional leather piece, as you can see some seams."

Right, and someone else depicted the same on the thumb in another screenshot ...

Correct, 2nd picture shows the white thumb from the trooper on the right side.

Any ideas on that shape of the rear sight? (3rd photo) Looks strange to me.

How do you like the chromed parts on the scope? Nothing on the armor is chromed (as far as we currently know). Doesn't fit into this color scheme.

Has anybody ever seen a folding stock with such details on the sides? Vern said, it looks like a Hasbro toy, but I can't even find anything with these details on the folding stock...

My humble guess is, that everything (even the barrel) was made specifically fot this blaster.

With rapid prototyping it is much easier to make everything from scratch, than to go out and get hard to find parts.

(Okay, maybe not hard-to-find, but still someone has to look out for them, find them and buy them.)

What I would do as a prop designer, is to take a careful look at what has been there before and then build a 3D model.

I would let myself be inspired by real world objects and then design my own.

Star wars is about found objects in new contexts? Great, then I would make it look like that.

Much bigger playground for new ideas and different solutions.

When the model is okayed, break it down into parts and let it be printed ...

Why look for a different folding stock (that is supposed to be the same, but has to look different), when you just can fabricate one?

You don't even have to stick to established measurements with this route.

I just realized, that this sounded like a rant ... It isn't.

I am just excited beyond bounds (received the tracking number for my big brown box), be kind to me ...

(...)  I just realized, that this sounded like a rant ... It isn't.

I am just excited beyond bounds (received the tracking number for my big brown box), be kind to me ...    (...)

Congratulations on that :duim: I know how this feeling changes your mood ;)

Back to topic: I think you are right. 37 years ago they had to work with the real Sterlings and we are trying to reproduce these as accurate as possible in different ways (conversions, resin builds, pipe builds...)

Having 2014 and being able to do a lot with 3D printers, that might be the way they did it now - much easier than to organize all the original parts.

I only hope, they didn't alter the measurements in a way, that we can not use all these blaster kits out there any more... :icon_beg:

Found this on http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/12/more-evidence-about-the-force-awakens-practical-effects.html:

"First comedian Phill Jupitus, star of TV shows including QI and Never Mind the Buzzcocks, said something very interesting while discussing his “love†for the Prequel Trilogy with BBC. (via Tom Damms):

I met an effects bloke in Essex, he drinks in my local coffee shop. He said [the makers of the new film] bought every gas-bottled air gun in England when they arrived because they wanted the Stormtroopers’ guns to have a kick when they fired them. You don’t have to fake it; it looks real."

Now, that does make things a bit more complicated for us ...