HOWTO: Garter for thighs

TK4205

With Hi-Res screen caps now doing the rounds you can see more and more of the strapping in the movies which helps us all to approximate a method similar to that of the movie suits. you can see in some shots strapping from bicep to forearms, straps sticking out from chest armour and there is a behind the scenes photo somewhere of one of the actors having a snooze with his leg pieces on where you can see a belt and garters arrangement, so by being able to see the straps we have devised far more alternatives so it's not too bad a thing to be able to see them.

Paul TM i'm sure has a vast array of these pics as i think he has studied the strapping more than some people have studied the armour :D .

I must say these methods are amazing and I shall be for certain doing these ideas on mine when it arrives this week sometime.

May I ask though when you have the armour on using any of these methods is the strapping pretty visible ??

Ben, hello!

As already stated, most of these straps are hidden under our armour and we don't have that much undersuit showing really anyway. Plus this particular one will have most of the strap hidden under our drop box.

Most people will be looking at your blaster and your face etc to even go thinking about looking for black straps. If they do, clock them with your E-11 :D

Pop over to the UKG boards too my friend. http://www.501stukgarrison.co.uk/forum/

If you already do, forgive me

Nice mod by the way

Can you grant access/ give invitataions?

Not me personally, but I know you wouldn't be denied.

We have many 501st folk popping on from all over. Even more so now due to the bonds made in the Rose Parade :D

Plus people come on to ask info on Celebration Europe. Flights, best hotels etc

Hello john

I am already over there and have been for a while under this same nick :D

I just have some SDS armour on the way in a few days time so want to apply various methods like the garter so its easier for me.

Yep sorry I clicked after I posted here. Sorry :rolleyes:

Good luck with Andrew mate. Hell of a nice chap but takes his time.

This garter does look like a great mod and I'll be trying it before maybe changing over myself.

• 1 month later...

Well I have this setup and must say its brilliant.

I have actually got pieces of abs with snaps on them placed on the inside of my thigh pieces so thats how I have the bottom connected. I do have a piece of velcro for the belt section but I am going to change that to a snap aswell to save hastle of it coming undone.

• 8 months later...

I used two 3ft.-long pieces on elastic and glued each end of them to the front and back inside's of each thigh. I just criss-cross the elastic over my chest and back. I actually use suspenders for the ab and kidney setup. They are the 2"-wide AWP suspenders from Lowe's with heavy-duty clamps on the ends. just trim a small slit, on on each side at the top, of the ab plate and one on each side at the top of the kidney plate.

I leave one side of the PVC pipe jacketing open and put on the plates sideways and slip the suspenders over my head. The clamps stay closed, so there's no need to ever undo them.

If anyone is interested, I can take some pics this evening and post.

• 4 months later...

I liked the idea of using a garter belt. As a former hockey player, I know heavy duty garters belts are available. So I went to my local hockey gear store and bought a hockey garter belt. At first I was going to use the garters, but after some trail and error decided to cut the elastic garters off. I then sewed a long piece of 1-1/2" wide velco for each thigh piece. The velcro is about eight inches long.

I then placed a long piece of 1-1/2 inch wide industrial strengh velco (about three inches long) in the thigh piece starting at the top of the piece. It worked for yesterday's troop and was quite comfortable. I had no feeling of something hanging off my waist. The way I used the velcro strips allows for good weight distribution of the thigh pieces and makes the whole thing adjustable.

The elastic garters are going to be recyled for other projects. No waste.

• 2 months later...

I just made some using standard 1" elastic from JoAnn, sewed some velcro to one end, sewed a loop in the other, applied IS velcro to the inside of the thighs, and used an old dress belt to support the thighs and the dropboxes. The belt goes through the loops, and all goes under the torso plates.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Problem I have found is that no matter what I do, it still allows the thighs to slide down lower than they should be. I've tried the garter, and the belt. It always ends up sliding down about an inch or two.

Same here.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I used two 3ft.-long pieces on elastic and glued each end of them to the front and back inside's of each thigh. I just criss-cross the elastic over my chest and back. I actually use suspenders for the ab and kidney setup. They are the 2"-wide AWP suspenders from Lowe's with heavy-duty clamps on the ends. just trim a small slit, on on each side at the top, of the ab plate and one on each side at the top of the kidney plate.

I leave one side of the PVC pipe jacketing open and put on the plates sideways and slip the suspenders over my head. The clamps stay closed, so there's no need to ever undo them.

If anyone is interested, I can take some pics this evening and post.

I know this is a bit late and all, but IF you still use this system, I am interested in seeing it.  I've had my Big Brown box for over three months now, and am STILL reading.  I like seeing all things, so I can see what I think would work best for me.   If you can't, believe me, after over 7 years when this was posted, I DO 100% UNDERSTAND. 

• 5 months later...
2 minutes ago, rig24 said:

Old thread, but hoping somebody can help.  Very novice at sewing...got a heavy duty needle and thread, but the thread bunches up on the bottom of the sew attempt...any ideas?

Could be that the material is too thick to sew. Try reducing the speed 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rig24 said:

Old thread, but hoping somebody can help.  Very novice at sewing...got a heavy duty needle and thread, but the thread bunches up on the bottom of the sew attempt...any ideas?

I made my garter with no sewing. I used 1" nylon strapping, a parachute buckle, and rivets (like the one on your jeans pocket) I made the belt, put the nylon through the buckle and folded it and hammered in the rivets. Riveted two straps hanging down to the thighs and put snaps on those and glued snaps inside my thighs. Very easy. I don't have pictures and it's all packed away at the moment but it's really easy that way.