Operation: I want to drink too

Hey Everyone,

Before I start, I want to ask that if anyone has done this already, please send me a link so that I don't re-invent the wheel.

I thought it would be cool to be able to take a drink of something while trooping without breaking character.  Since i'm working on adding electronics and permanently installing my eye visors etc.  Here is my prototype.

The pic below shows a rough draft of what I want to do.  I want to install a little door (or gate, whatever you call it) on the second tooth gap, since a regular size straw would fit in it without scraping anything.

I then added a strong magnet (broken piece from magnet disks used on armor) to the door and a low strenght one (like the thin ones on the fridge) placed on the bottom of the toth gap.

Note: If I used 2 strong magnets, there would have to be more pressure on the screen when trying to push in the straw causing it to tear. two low strenght ones wont hold well when the helmet is turning or jerking around. 

vWoyk3b.jpg

Here is what the frown looks like from the outside

IllYhVR.jpg

Straw from outside

zMgNj3Q.jpg

Straw from inside ( please remember this is a prototype. Bear with me on the tape ^_^ )

9eMFZLC.jpg

Door closed

EHap2YF.jpg

What do you guys think :blush: .. Should I keep going? Need more pics?

• Like 1

That just might actually work! Good job Rick! I am thinking of possibly integrating a small camel pak in my back plate and feed the tube up my under suit somehow.

• Like 1

Yes I have though about the Camelbak idea, but the feeder tube is quite thick and I don't have the space in my neckseal to be comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You'll have to find a spot to carry your straw. Unless you get really lucky and people at the event have straws. Thinking about it now, none of the events ive trooped at so far had them available. Maybe double sided tape behind one of the ammo boxes on your belt :)

Right on! Now if only we could install a car alarm system on our TDs. I have been fortunate enough not to have had a child try to grab mine, but have witnessed it. Perhaps a sound file of "the deathstar plans are not in the main computer"...just to kind of startle someone, or even a r2d2 sound file to where we could quickly turn around(while staying in character) and say "look sir! Droids!"

• Like 3

Ok so I finally had time to start on it.

I found these thin little foam pieces with a sticky back.  I'm using one but just wanted to show what the other side looks like.

the last piece is the thin magnet you could find on your fridge.  I glued 1 foam to the magnet.

HY8RJY1.jpg

Hoping this holds together with the E6000 I glued the screen to the ABS plastic and then the hinge to both.

qCp3e2N.jpg

Lastly (that's a word right?), I glued the magnet

mR6TUX3.jpg

• Like 1

I thought it would be cool to be able to take a drink of something while trooping without breaking character. 

Won't you be breaking character just by drinking in the first place?

• Like 1

Won't you be breaking character just by drinking in the first place?

By that I guess I ment, without showing my identity if im thursty in public.

Cool idea, bit can you see well enough in your bucket to get the straw into the hole/door?

Yea, I could still see through the teeth gaps a bit especially if the straw is a bright color.  

Since i'm not use to using the helmet, it's still a bit awkward doing it though.