What do people use?

So I have a couple fans in my lid. Also got a voice changer/amp/mic. Everything works well but when I turn the fansw on - I can't hear anything.

Is there a system that amplifies both your voice and also noise from outside the lid - In one system? Or do I have to install 2 systems to achieve what I'm after?

Bit confused with the aker system everyone is using.....

Edited by HansDC

• 3 weeks later...

if the fans are really that loud you could get a spy-ear type hearing device, tape it under your forearm or wherever and plug in some noise cancelling earbuds.. they arent perfect but other than that id say opt for some quieter fans. i use evilboy's kit and can still hear people fine that are under 5 feet away

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Thanks troopers. Ill check out the suggestions. 

I currently run 'Evilboy' fans and have figured out a confortable setup. But I still can't hear as well as I would like to, Maybe that will just take some getting used to. 

Here is what I am currently planning for my bucket. I am still in the design phase.

1) Evilboy fan kit to act as intakes. Both fans will be placed on the frown screens and "aimed" to go to the outer edges of the eyes.

2) Eyes will be floated to 0.25mm to allow for some air to escape and cut down on fogging of the lenses. This will be down with styrene floats that small PC screws can mount the lenses too.

3) Exhaust fans to be mounted on the rear traps. I am planning on two 5mm x20mm Evercool fans to achieve this. They will be floated like the eyes at 0.25mm and be covered on the intake side with PC fan filters. The filters will act as a "screen" to prevent hair from being pulled into the fans (ouch!).

4) Skyminer's EAS system is going to be installed into the HOVI mic tips and then plugged into an inexpensive pair ($15 from amazon) noise cancelling headphone pieces. The headphones will be bashed to remove the brackets. I plan to install them to the walls of the bucket with Velcro.

5) Wireless microphone to be used to connect to the AKER amp that will be mounted in my chest plate.

6) An Anker 15000 mah battery will be installed in the back plate to power all the electronics. This will eliminate the need for any battery packs to be installed, which will cut down on a substantial amount of weight. The Anker weighs just under 2 pounds and will mount easily with Velcro. I removed the weight of 7 AA's, 1 9v, the casing for the wireless mic (I pulled out just the circuit board), and two battery packs (one for the EAS, one for the fan kit). I haven't weighed how much weight will be removed from the bucket.

I am currently working on the circuitry to bash together the EAS system, fan circuit and wireless mic amp. I am using 7805 voltage regulators to trim down the 9v circuit to 5v for the fans and the EAS. The wireless preamp runs on 9v so nothing is needed there. I have eliminated all the noise in the circuit from the fans and the EAS mics, but the wireless mic is still giving me trouble. I think I have a ground loop that needs to be isolated, so more experimenting is going to be needed before I can post up a final mock up of the work. Early tests have shown that the system is stable and ran for 14 hours and took the Anker down to only 25% from a full charge.

Lots of possibilities to do with the electronics and I am no electrical engineer. Most of what I have learned to do this circuit was found from threads here and via the power of internet searches.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

All the ideas for this system came from various threads here, and my own OCD wanting to plan out a bucket that can have a set of electronics, but not all the weight.

• Like 1

Sounds great! Keep us updated on your progress. 

Yeah Ive got a few systems but still haven't found the best combo yet. 

And yes, Im no electrical genius, but I used to race R/C cars so I know some basics. Still no Mcguyver tho. 

I have a single Squirrel fan, a mic that connects to my AKER amp  (located in chest) and Skyminer's external audio system (http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/25695-environmental-audio-system-hear-outside-your-helmet/).  The bucket you see in his first post is actually mine. Once I installed that, it was a trooping game changer. Being able to clearly hear in stereo what is happening around you is super helpful. 

• Like 1

I have tried that active system but I still haven't worked out how/where to set the mics and speakers. They are so sensitive and pick every little thing up from the vibrations in the lid.

if the fans are really that loud you could get a spy-ear type hearing device, tape it under your forearm or wherever and plug in some noise cancelling earbuds.. they arent perfect but other than that id say opt for some quieter fans. i use evilboy's kit and can still hear people fine that are under 5 feet away

41%2BYGIwyRSL._SY300_.jpg

I tried this. Did not work for me

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Did my first troop today. About 4 hours and 3000+ kids. 

Decided that I NEED a voice system. 

So.....

i-Comm or RomFX ... ? 

Pros & Cons please from people who have used either or both....

:)

So.....

i-Comm or RomFX ... ?

I would love to know too! I am thinking about getting one soon!

So.....

i-Comm or RomFX ... ?

They are both great systems, I'm a Icomm user and I love it.

Pro: You can ajust the volume of your static burdt on the RomFX

Con: The RomFX is more expensive than the Icomm (with shipping in Canada, it's about 70$ more).

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...