Are we weird?

Polar

Well, there are all the answers in a nutshell, damn proud to be associated with the fine men and women of the 501st.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like many of you said I also worried about being"weird" for doing this as I am also around 40 but after seeing the kids response I am glad I did it. I work at a elementary school and after I wore my TK for Halloween the first time last year it is amazing how they and many of my co-workers talk about it in a positive light, especially after doing a few troops to help raise money or visiting kids in the hospital. Needless to say it is not considered weird. In fact I think some of them feel a little guilty when I talk about helping others over the weekend while they sat at home.

The kids response has been great too. It has been great to have them talk to me about it and how I became a stormtrooper. The kids now also wear Star Wars shirts all the time and claim that they are wearing "my shirt". It blows my mind how proud they are about and how many times they will come in just to show me their new outfits. Parents even came in this Halloween after school just to get a picture of their child with the Stormtrooper. Of course my own kid loves it too.

This year I even made our new superintendent feel a little guilty. He wore black with a cone hat and crayola sign. He was so proud to be in school and thought his outfit was good. Then I walked by. The kids a parents immediately came over to me and he said that he will have to do better next year. Pretty funny!

Anyways, if all that is "weird" then hell yeah, I'm weird!

Welp......i am a nerd and a geek....i wear my helmet while dtiving....i armor up anytime i csn and have nerf wars with the kid in there armor

I test fit the kids armor by walking around the hood, my shop, i own a car repair shop is full of different molds i may be eorking on at any given time....i have gone deeper then just having armor my self ...i jumped in to the making of armor...and everyone knows it....i embody nerdizem!!!!......

Do you know what its like being pulled over on your bike in scout armor...i do...i had to wait for the big boss to get there for a pic....the post office lady had to open a package and it was a tuskin head....just think of what she was thinking as she was screaming!

And now....i am you plain guy that is 45 with 4 kids one on the way and i love everyone around me and they love me!

Welcome to the family

• Like 1

good responses. I did get pulled over with my bucket on, on Halloween. The cop just was hoping I was in full armor but was not. He still got a laugh and said please dont wear this at night after he tried it on. 

If anyone thinks what I do is worthy of ridicule they've never spoken up. I'm an IT Project Manager at an Urban Research University in Atlanta. The place is pretty progressive so just about everyone I work with has some oddities and one or more off the wall hobbies or interests. Family has long known I'm an oddball so they take nearly anything I do in stride and with a smile. I've also been careful all my life to be only me (weird warts and all) so I've rarely found myself in a situation since HS where I had to deal with any Nelson Muntz types for any length of time.

All that said, I agree with the posters above, cut the negativve Nancies out of your life. Family or otherwise, they are a drag and are best left to find others like themselves without bringing you down if you can't get a grip. Alternately, once you troop and start posting pics of the good work you'll get to do I'm pretty sure they'll have a cup of shut the f**k up.

Edited by James
  • Like 1

One other anecdote. My first troop, we went to the local zoo for Boo in the Zoo near Halloween. Great time, but at one point 4 teen couples walked up with the girls trailing behind and started talking to us. Then the snarky comments started from the guys. "Closest you've been to a girl in a while huh .. hur, hur, hur etc" For a moment I was a bit bummed.

Then in a chorus of squeals the girls came running up, drowning out the guys commentary and pushing past them yelling "OMG CAN WE TAKE OUR PICTURES WITH YOU GUYS!!??"

We took a bunch of pics and while they were all tasteful and above board I'm pretty sure WE we're closer to their girlfriends in the pics than those guys ever were lol.

After everyone started to walk away one kid came up and meekly asked, hey those are really cool, how can I get one? The other three just trudged away, wind totally knocked out of their sails.

• Like 1

I think I'll start off with this, If you haven't seen it before its a great watch. I'll show it to my daughter if the day ever comes.

My mum was/has been been a closest Trekkie & Dr Who fan from way back, as a kid she got me in to Star Wars, Praise the lord... Vader!

So I was never short of the toys, figures and movies growing up. I wish I knew where they were today.

I went through a Trekkin phase(mum's fault), a MaCgyver phase that turned in to a Stargate phase, both of which ended.

But Star Wars never dies and has always been there and I think will be for a long time to come.

I've had my fair share of mates who either embrace it, or put me down for it, but those close to me know I'm more than the sum of all my parts, so to speak.

They know there is more to me than my love for Sci-fi. One minute you'll see me watching Star Wars Rebels, next minute, Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead or NASCAR.

And I think that's what some people miss, they don't see the whole picture.

They mainly see Andrew the car guy, who occasionally makes Star Wars related comments on Facebook or wears a nerdy Transformers or Star Wars t-shirt.

If I were to tell you that go drag racing or take my car out to track days at least once a month you may not believe me, but its how I've been getting my thrills for the last few years.

I know guys who spend tens of thousands of dollars on their cars only to sit in car parks at night and chat o each other or sit in open fields for show days to win a trophy and they call that enjoyment.

How ever they often don't enjoy the attention it brings from the police, something I too have felt this year when my car of defected, but I over came it and got it passed and legal. Yay for me :D

To me these days, it seems a little crazier than this. Tons of money spent for self enjoyment that sites outside majority of the time, or being brought down a few notches by Five-0 and your car off the road.

And most people would call that "Normal"

If I had of spent as much money on building suits with the 501st as I have cars over the years, It would be like Tony Starks "House Party Protocol". Now that seems a little weird and crazy if you put it in perspective.

Anyhow, being that I cannot make anymore progress on my TK build at this time, I'm going outside now to flare the guards on my car so I can put bigger tyres under it for more traction before I hit the raceway again in two weeks.

Crazy and weird... I love it

Rant over :)

Edited by ARC

Bloody rights, we're weird! At the end of the day, though, we are doing something we love to do. I wanted to be a TK when I first saw Star Wars in the 70s and now I can live out that dream. The only place that age has in the discussion is that now I can afford to do and buy what I want....

• Like 1

I'm only 23, and my school days were most likely different than most of yours. I've been a Star Wars fan my entire life and it has always been ok. I've never been picked on for it, and never really had a problem. I think the whole "hipster" thing has softened up the general population with nerd stuff for sure. In some ways, (unfortunatley not all), it seems like some of the anit-bulling stuff is working. It seems though that many "hipsters" aren't genuine with thier Star Wars, DR. Who, or Rolling Stones T-shirts. It's fine with me, it only shows more support, and seems to allow others to be who they want to be in public. Maybe it's the people I've surrounded my self with, is the reason why I've never seen meanness towards nerds. Maybe it's my personality, I'm usually outgoing and don't generally care what many people think.

When I told my family, and in-laws, and friends what I wanted to do, they were all supportive. I did find myself though rationalizing it to others with all the charity work the 501st does. It probably makes it hard to make fun of charity, when the aggressors audience will look down on the person for making fun of charity.

We are wierd. My sister still makes fun of me. When we were younger (4-7yrs)  I used to tell her I would take showers with Princess Liea. HAHA!

Edited by chrskmbr

Great feedback and support - I would have expected nothing less from my brothers and sisters in the 501st and as always, makes me proud to be one of you !

Once you spend an afternoon bringing smiles to sick kids (sometimes really, really sick) and their brave parents - and shed a few tears behind the safety of your bucket - all that trash talk will bounce off you. Don't even waste a second of your time thinking about it.

Powerful stuff we Star Wars fans do in our plastic armor. Powerful stuff.

Great feedback and support - I would have expected nothing less from my brothers and sisters in the 501st and as always, makes me proud to be one of you !

Once you spend an afternoon bringing smiles to sick kids (sometimes really, really sick) and their brave parents - and shed a few tears behind the safety of your bucket - all that trash talk will bounce off you. Don't even waste a second of your time thinking about it.

Powerful stuff we Star Wars fans do in our plastic armor. Powerful stuff.

I just shed a few watching wingnuts video. You guys are awesome! Wingnut, we hail from the west coast of FL and frequent there a lot, we WILL troop one day

Weird is such a subjective term.

As you've already seen so many others say (but I think Eric said it quite well), we have nearly 7,000 friends instantly as a member of the Legion.  I've learned a great deal more about the world, as a result of my friendship with so many people globally.  I know that if I travel the globe that I'll have people to hang out with just about everywhere I'd want to go.  

We do so much good for so many people that we've never met, and in most cases, never will meet.  

Naturally, I've remembered that I've been a Star Wars fan since the moment I started hearing and seeing commercials for it.  I BEGGED my parents to take me to see it when it hit the theaters (I was four years old, about to turn five when it released), but they would not take me to see it until they saw it first, to make sure it was something that I "could" see.  Knowing that they were at that theater watching it while I was at home with a babysitter made me nuts, but after that, they took me to see it.  I look back on that now, and I was mesmerized by those TKs boarding the Tantive IV, and I distinctly remember feeling a moral obligation to "cheer for the 'good guys" but a lot of inner turmoil because I thought the "bad guys" were so awesome, and I LOVED everything about them.  Recently, during TK related posts on FB, my mother chimed in with a post that basically said "This comes as no surprise to me.  Since the moment he saw the first Stormtrooper in that movie, he wanted nothing more in life than to be a Stormtrooper."  That made me smile so much on the inside and on the outside, and it made me think about things a little bit differently.

If someone grows up saying that they want to be a "This" or they want to own "That" and they grow up and do so, nobody calls them weird for having done so, they call them a lot of positive things like:  Driven, Goal-Oriented, or this gem - successful.

Think about it like that, clearly this is something that we have all desired on some level and in many cases, we've desired it for years, or even decades.  We've achieved it.  We've grown up, and done, become, and attained the things that we said we wanted to do as children.  That, is drive.  It is being goal-oriented.  That, is success in life.  However, we don't stop there.  We take it a step further.  We take this thing that we've accomplished, our personal goal, and we share it with the world.  We bring joy, happiness, and so much good to so many others in our world in a time when the headlines are filled with negativity.  One of our brothers in armor (TD 4857, Scott Loxley, of the Terror Australis Garrison) is currently walking AROUND AUSTRALIA - the entire continent - to raise money for a children's hospital.  That is so inspirational to me, and to many others, that it can't be imagined.  This group, this family of Imperial fans (and members :D ) is a phenomenal group of people who, more so than nearly any other group that I've ever come in contact with, give back to the world around them daily without expecting or asking for anything in return.

So, if doing these things is weird, then I'll proudly proclaim that yes - I'm weird.  I'll also continue to do everything in my power to encourage others to be weird, and do everything that I can to help others be weird.  The world as we know it could definitely use more of our brand of weird.

Edited by Dark CMF
  • Like 3

And...you can ask anyone who know me or has seen me....i am a normal looking dude

Also... In so many ways - THIS.

There are a great many of us that some would call "poster children" for success in our day to day lives.  Getting to know the members of the Legion, we're pretty much the type of people that parents would want their children to grow up like - and oh, by the way, we're also in the 501st Legion.  :D

This has been an amazing discussion, and we should all be proud. Our hobby is similar to other hobbies out there. I know people that spend thousands on photography, off-roading, camping, sailing, sports, etc. Yet know considers them "weird". We are lucky to be involved with a group that is so supportive and caring. Not many people can say that about their hobbies.

I actually love the challenge of doing something most people don't understand. That inspires me. Keeping telling me I shouldn't do something, and then watch me do it and prove you wrong.

The bottom line is to be true to yourself. Quite honestly there is no logical way to justify the time and money this hobby requires. But I know I couldn't live with myself if I didn't try. I'm waiting on my armor kit now for my first build, and I can't wait for the day when I start trooping. I will the first time I see friend at an event that enjoys what we're doing, and then they discover it's me when I take off my bucket.

May the force be with all of us!

• Like 3

One of our brothers in armor (TD 4857, Scott Loxley, of the Terror Australis Garrison) is currently walking AROUND AUSTRALIA - the entire continent - to raise money for a children's hospital. That is so inspirational to me, and to many others, that it can't be imagined.

In case any of you aren't following him you can find him at https://www.facebook.com/StormingAustralia?ref=ts&fref=ts

He's doing a great job and I can't wait to see him on his way down the east coast in Sydney and throw some support his way.

Inspiration level x 100 :)

Edited by ARC
  • Like 2

Agree with Arc, the Redback Garrison in Brisbane are waiting eagerly for his arrival.

Lord Vader has prepared his finest, welcoming party and we are awaiting our dispatch orders.

No doubt a few beers will be shared with Scott and some great stories.

• Like 2

Agree with Arc, the Redback Garrison in Brisbane are waiting eagerly for his arrival.

Lord Vader has prepared his finest, welcoming party and we are awaiting our dispatch orders.

No doubt a few beers will be shared with Scott and some great stories.

I have to ask a favor of you.

Would you be so kind as to buy him a Coke for me? I'm actually totally serious, too. LoL

Cool. He doesn't know me, but he's always talking about getting a Coke, so I've replied to a few of his posts and in a message to Sal when I ordered my Storming Australia patches and cards, mentioned that I want some of the money to be used to get the man a Coke. That's all there is to it. Thank you, kindly. ;)

Edited by Dark CMF

Still a cool story Tim, we are waiting on an update of his course map and ETA's at locations, so there is some planning going on within the garrison.

I am sure we should get a good turnout and some photos so will be sure to post some up on the boards.

• Like 1