Are we weird?

Polar

Well I know for the most part I am but....... My friends, many of them big Star Wars buffs, seem to have a small issue with me getting into this. I explain to them ever since I first saw the movie I have been fascinated with it, and mainly TK's. I always swore that one day I would build one, and now the time has come. Ive worked hard for everything in my life and now it is financially possible at "almost" 40" 

So now the name calling commences, this mainly takes place on my facebook as Im documenting my MTK build as well  as my ATA helmet I just recently finished. Do I ignore it or question, maybe I am that " dork" or that "nerd" or that almost 40 year old guy with the mentality of a 13 year old. I dunno, it kinda bothers me, but it also makes me push forward with " not really caring what others think about what I am doing" 

My wife seems ok with it for the most part. Her late father was a Trekkie and a Star Wars fan. But what ruins it for me is that her Uncle Arthur, I guess when she and her cousins were younger had a Darth Vader kid and used to scare the crapola out of them. So now I get referred to on occasion as weird Uncle Arthur. 

I like to think of myself as a somewhat normal, semi professional guy. I work 50 plus a week, run a medium sized company, have 4 kids, 3 cats, 1 dog and a rabbit. I fish, hunt, shoot, surf, bike ride and HAVE to have a hobby or some sort due to my ADHD(not confirmed but self diagnosed) 

This is my hobby, and I enjoy it. I enjoy to comradery  with you guys as well. Never have met a more helpful bunch of people, and for that I thank you.

Thank you for letting me air out my pea brain as well.( just dont call me weird or a dork) :)

Edited by Polartrooper
  • Like 2

Assuming being a member of 501st is a goal of yours, simply ask your "friends" how many millions of dollars their hobby raises and donates 100% to charities such as Make a Wish Children's hospitals (and many many others).

If they choose to continue to pick on your choice of hobbies, remove them from your life and only surround yourself with people who will love and support you no matter what you are doing. 

but hey, that's just me... Carry on trooper!  :smiley-sw013:

• Like 5

Care not for the people that don't respect who you are as a person! Normally that individual is lacking something in their own life and lash out at others to compensate. There are many troopers/soon-to-be-troopers that have and will walk the same path as you are doing. This is an expensive hobby. Not only do you have to have the funds to buy/build your costumes but you have to afford the trips to the events. Then to top it off the charity side of the organization trumps everything!!!! You are giving back every time you make a child smile because you donned that armor or any other costume associated with the 501st.(or other similar charity organizations) Ask them how many children they made smile last month???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

agreed.

Not everyone wants to turn their fandom into a costuming fetish/hobby. And most do not understand it.

That said, it's your hobby, rock it and enjoy it. If they are truly friends they will enjoy it with you. That doesn't mean they will stop calling you nerd or dork.. take it as a badge or honor.

• Like 3

Interesting topic. Short answer is probably yes...but so what? It might not be socially acceptable to prance around in a costume pretending to be a character from a movie made 30+ years ago, but dammint its fun and kids like it. And in the end that's what its all about, having fun and raising some money for charity while spreading the love for some movies that are universally liked. Sure you'll get some weird looks, but you can't please everyone.

Edited by 87ninefiveone
  • Like 3

Most of my friends think what I'm doing is pretty cool. Strangers are blown away by my armor and the fact that I made it. Everyone wants to take pictures. Children are fascinated, even star-struck. My kids say, "Dad, you're such a nerd!" and roll their eyes in the same loving way that all kids find their parents embarrassing. My wife calls me "her Stormtrooper". In my estimation, this is truly one of the coolest things I have ever done. All of the detractors whose coolness peaked in high school can call me a geek if it makes them feel better. I feel good about myself, and that's what matters to me.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Quote attributed to Dr. Seuss

• Like 5

I'm a cop. We are supposed to fit a certain image. So when they found out I was in the 501st, the teasing by my fellow officers began (I was outed in the newspaper when they printed my name and who I worked for). But when someone would start to go too far, I would simply say, "Yes, I dress as a stormtrooper and make sick kids smile." They have absolutely no comeback for that. Now, I actually get some respect from some of the closet nerds I work with. 

I just don't tell them about the part of me that does it because I'm a giggly little kid inside who loves Star Wars.

Everyone has hobbies. Some of it involves things other people don't get. Be proud, you are being true to yourself, not what others think you should be.

• Like 5

I've had very little judgement for taking on this task. My GF is just about convinced to join also and my kids are both eager to help hold parts or put on clamps. Any negativity or taunting I see as jealousy. Those people that don't have the time, resources, knowledge, skill or drive to pursue something they truly appreciate. Yes, we are weird and we love it!

• Like 3

I think we may be a bit weird but I think it weird to go sit in the woods for in hopes to kill an animal when in reality you could go a whole season without seeing anything. It's just a matter of opinion and if that is what you love, Do it passionately.

I have been building an R2 for close to 3 years now. Most of the people who are close to me are fine with it. I don't hang out with people who will put me down about the things I love. Even my dad who would never do anything like this is helping me with my Armor and R2. 

It's the price you pay to be cooler than everyone else.  :smiley-sw013:

Edited by asmith2591
  • Like 2

First off... F them.

Join the 501st and instantly gain 6934 new friends worldwide who totally accept your passion for this hobby. New friends wasn't my original motivation for joining the Legion, but now it is one of the main reasons I love being a member.

As others have said... ask them what their passion or hobby is and you'll find that either they don't have one or its totally self serving. Your answer "Oh? Really? Does your hobby help raise $14 million dollars a year doing volunteer work?"

Rest assured "geek" culture has never been more popular. Cosplay is mainstream. Con attendance has skyrocketed. New cons appear every day all across the world. Shows like Big Bang Theory is a great indicator of the rise of the nerd. 

Most of us are semi normal professional people of sorts. Otherwise how else would we afford this madness? I think a lot of people think we're some sort of basement dwelling mouth breathers (aka: Star Trek fans). 

But really wait until they see you in your armor, and wait until they see kids faces light up when you walk around the neighborhood. They make change their mind on how cool or uncool you are.

And they don't.... again... F them.

-Eric

• Like 6

First off... F them.

Join the 501st and instantly gain 6934 new friends worldwide who totally accept your passion for this hobby. New friends wasn't my original motivation for joining the Legion, but now it is one of the main reasons I love being a member.

As others have said... ask them what their passion or hobby is and you'll find that either they don't have one or its totally self serving. Your answer "Oh? Really? Does your hobby help raise $14 million dollars a year doing volunteer work?"

Rest assured "geek" culture has never been more popular. Cosplay is mainstream. Con attendance has skyrocketed. New cons appear every day all across the world. Shows like Big Bang Theory is a great indicator of the rise of the nerd. 

Most of us are semi normal professional people of sorts. Otherwise how else would we afford this madness? I think a lot of people think we're some sort of basement dwelling mouth breathers (aka: Star Trek fans). 

But really wait until they see you in your armor, and wait until they see kids faces light up when you walk around the neighborhood. They make change their mind on how cool or uncool you are.

And they don't.... again... F them.

-Eric

Pretty much! Im quite convinced most of my friends are just professional trolls! lol

Edited by Polartrooper

Yes, definitely jealousy.

My wife got used to me being a thirteen year old inside (on the outside I am 45) and my kids both freaked out, when I told them about what I am going to do.

I don't care for anybody elses opinion in this matter.

But perhaps I am just lucky. We have a company that fabricates windows and doors right behind our porch. When I sat outside in the summer, working on my lid or my Artoo it took about five minutes and I had some of the workers standing next to me talking about what I do, star wars , the world and anything else. And these are tough guys, mind you!

Okay, not everybody recognized the Artoo in its early stages, but it was a conversation piece nevertheless. (The cleaning woman of that company actually was the first on and that cry "Good god, is that an Artoo?" still rings in my ears ...)

Nobody with a right frame of mind can look down on someone who has a hobby and is passionate about it. Don't, and I mean it, don't let anybody spoil what you like!

And if they call you Uncle Arthur again, tell them, that you are much worse than him (and do that with an insane grin).

Keep your head up.

Your first troop will repay you for everything you have to endure!

• Like 3

The people I work with think I am a total nerd but think its really cool.  My wife is accepting but I am sure she will warm up more when I am not using her living room as my workshop.  My oldest son rolls his eyes as me, my daughter is cool with it, and my youngest thinks I'm a rock star.  I cannot wait to get out and share in the excitement.

People are always going to judge based on their own view and beliefs.

• Like 2

Yes. But I am weird in so many ways.

I find social interaction very awkward, yet while in armour I am no longer as pathologically shy - I am a Stormtrooper.

The people I have met through the process of building my suit have been fantastic, & despite the differences we have as people we will always have one thing in common: Star Wars. It takes my comfort zone around these movies and allows me to expand on it with real people.

Yes I am weird, I don't give damn - why should anyone els3!

• Like 1

Brian

Never apologize for what you do. I've always been a firm believer that you keep the people in your life who matter to you, support you, and indulge you in your quests, even when they may be a bit Quixotic.  If you find yourself being mocked for pursuing something that you enjoy, it's time to show those folks to the door. Facebook has a way of taking otherwise nice people and turning them into 'keyboard commandos'.

If it is any consolation, I can tell you that I'm a fifty year old Sci-Fi geek, who has an awesome wife who indulged countless hours going to TRU in search of Star Wars toys.  I also did twenty years with the NYPD, working in some rather interesting places and survived 9/11. Any of my friends who'd like to call me a name for indulging in something I enjoy, better do it with a big smile on their face and a beer in their hand. 

Sounds like you have an awesome wife and kids, at the end of the day that's all that matters. 

Now get back to building your armor, you nerd !!  :smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

Every hobby is based on passion, and every hobby is strange to somebody else. We just happen to be adults that love a science fiction movie, and are very creative. I'm almost 50 and a respected professional in my field, and I have no problem pursuing 501st membership. I've volunteered for years with groups like the Red Cross and have seen first hand how a volunteer can seriously make another person's life better. The 501st allows us to do the same thing, while at the same time expressing our creativity. Cosplay is an amazing hobby. I was introduced to it through my daughter, and now we go to cons together.

So I say be true to yourself, and ignore people that question what you're doing and troop on. I'm looking forward to the challenge of creating a TK and hopefully joining the 501st some day. I can't wait to have over 6000 new friends around the world.

• Like 1

I say embrace the inner nerd, we do good globally, 501st is an inspiration to many .

The ones that really count are the countless thousands we help with everything we do in our costuming club, and the fact is , they certainly appreciate us.

I feel your friends are just having some fun with you, and they truly don't understand the difference you can make to someone's life.

We are united in this cause, and you have more friends than you know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I usually don't chime in on these type posts, but feel the urge :). At 35 years old, with 3 kids myself and a professional job- I can completely understand where you are coming from. To the fact that In the past year and a half while I finished my first TK build, I was reluctant to tell anyone what I was doing. As if dropping the $700 for the armor kit wasn't bad enough, I now found myself at about $1200 in total equipment purchased and tools...(now finding that isn't so bad after all) - but really started asking.... All of this for a costume?

Then I came back to why I started in the first place.. Many before me have said it...but being a LIFELONG Star Wars fan, specifically stormtroopers..I knew one day I would build one. And after my first troop..seeing the small kids smile, and walk up slowly to me to give a high five then look back to their parents...and they both have the biggest smile on their faces..I knew I was doing something special. For both them...AND ME.

BE PROUD, this is a fun hobby and it truly makes a difference.. The people we see tell us so.

• Like 4

Weirdness is relative!  My dad rebuilt an airplane in our garage when I was in elementary school. I grew up hanging around airports. Still do.  Other people have boats and hang around marinas. Still others like to take long walks looking for a little white ball.  To each his own. But, making children of all ages smile at the sight of Star Wars costumes, is worth the time, money and effort.

I read somewhere an old timer put it all in perspective... "We're middle aged nerds wearing Tupperware. Keep it fun." 

I keep a link to this video on my desktop so I can show anyone why I want to join the 501st so much!  501st Legion "Why We Do This"

Good Luck, Brian. Glad to hear the Mrs. is helping the Empire while supporting the economy. I hope to have a chance to troop with ya sometime!

Edited by wingnut65
  • Like 3

All jokes aside, I joined this crazy, weird group of nerds because of the charity work involved. I couldn't justify spending thousands on a costume until I realized how much these folks really give back to the community and support external charities. I'm the President of a charitable organization that has a very active, engaged membership; we don't have nearly the same passion and activity that the 501st does. Honestly, I'm more proud of being the appointed Charity Officer of the Georgia Garrison than I am to be the elected President the APCA!

What has truly astonished me in the past year is how passionate these folks are about the charity work. It is absolutely amazing to me - still - how much joy our silly costumes bring to people, and that people are willing to donate to charities just to be in our presence. Just a few weeks ago, we organized a Blast-A-Trooper event that raised over $600 for a local animal shelter in a mere four hours! Additionally, I've visited sick children a couple times at our local Children's Hospital, and those have been some of the most rewarding charitable experiences I've had.

Like many of the folks here, I'm a 9-5er professional at a Fortune 50 company. My coworkers absolutely LOVE what we do, and my boss and leadership is supportive of me leaving work in the middle of the day to bring some relief - and a break from reality - to kids, their parents, and the community.

Look, there are some weird folks - truly weird - that I have met in every group of passionate fans. I play flag football every night, and I know some weirdo jocks... all they do is live and talk football. They attend flag football competitions every weekend, play 15 different fantasy football leagues, tweet about NFL during the off-season, and tailgate on Saturdays at colleges three states over. They cray. So even something that is "normal" or at least accepted in our culture/society... there are weirdos.

And that's perfectly OK.

• Like 3