Alternate T-Track Supplier

usaeatt2

And as previously touched on, the only likely way prices are going to come down is with more competition, so more the merrier in my opinion.

Well I can't speak for the other t-track sellers, but the price of my track has to remain the same until what I have runs out.

Here's the reason:

When I first did the run years ago, the cost of having a custom die made and a minimum amount of extrusion by the factory was very expensive.

In order to fund it, I made a sign up list and the price of the t-track kits was determined by the number of people who initially signed up. If more people had signed up, the cost per kit would have been cheaper. If less people had signed up, it would have been even more expensive.

So I promised all the people who signed up that I would always keep the price the same out of fairness to them. Because they were the ones who made the project possible in the first place and it would not be fair to them to lower the price after the fact. It would be like punishing them for being the ones who got the project off the ground in the first place.

So that's why my t-track is priced the way it is, and why it will remain the same price until it's all gone.

And my supply is getting low so once it's gone it's gone. At the very least there will be other suppliers out there when my stuff is all out, they just won't be as accurate.

Now what I'm about to say is only my own personal opinion and I don't take issue with anyone else who doesn't share the same feeling.

For me, I want everything I own to be as accurate as it possibly can. Sometimes that is limited by access, sometimes that is limited by price.

So if I'm creating a prop/costume/display, and I've invested a ton of time, money, and energy on making it as nice and accurate as possible why in the world would I skimp on any component when there is a more accurate alternative available? I mean for something that you are going to own (possibly forever) and be proud of, is a $40 savings really THAT big of a deal in the long run?

You could say, well no one would notice the difference on a detail such as the t-track. Well I notice. And I make props for myself first, not for what other people think.

The public doesn't differentiate between an FX armor or an RS. But at the end of the day, we want the accuracy because we love it and makes us feel good about the piece of art we've created.

That's just the way I see it. I know not everyone feels that way. If they did, there wouldn't be any FX troopers still kicking around. :)

I have a dream...

...that one day people won't remember what FX armor looks like. lol

Edited by GINO

I agree with almost everything that's being said here, except one thing about this 'muddying water' business. To muddy the water, the water need to be clear first. The way I created the T-profile is probably not free of some deviation from the original tracks indeed (we're talking tenths of millimeters here, close to the tolerance level of the plastic extrusion process of both replica and screen-used profile). But at least I am clear about the origin and method. Gino's track is based on scan data, we now know, but he also said that he is not at liberty to share the source and the details. So for him the water might have always been clear, but to the rest of us, it was troubled all along. Now, I don't want to be blaimed of discrediting Gino. I'm not saying he is not speaking the truth, all I say is that the water was not clear to begin with and I wish it was.

• Like 3

I agree with almost everything that's being said here, except one thing about this 'muddying water' business. To muddy the water, the water need to be clear first. The way I created the T-profile is probably not free of some deviation from the original tracks indeed (we're talking tenths of millimeters here, close to the tolerance level of the plastic extrusion process of both replica and screen-used profile). But at least I am clear about the origin and method. Gino's track is based on scan data, we now know, but he also said that he is not at liberty to share the source and the details. So for him the water might have always been clear, but to the rest of us, it was troubled all along. Now, I don't want to be blaimed of discrediting Gino. I'm not saying he is not speaking the truth, all I say is that the water was not clear to begin with and I wish it was.

well said.

But at least I am clear about the origin and method. Gino's track is based on scan data, we now know, but he also said that he is not at liberty to share the source and the details. So for him the water might have always been clear, but to the rest of us, it was troubled all along. Now, I don't want to be blaimed of discrediting Gino. I'm not saying he is not speaking the truth, all I say is that the water was not clear to begin with and I wish it was.

This is basically the definition of mudding the water.

You are attempting to foster doubt in the minds of potential customers in order to create a false equivalency between your track and my track when there is not.

And at the same time, you are saying, hey why should we trust him, which is most definitely an attempt to discredit me.

I've said this on the rpf and I'll say it here as well.

I would not want anyone who does not trust my credibility to buy from me.

People who know me know the extent I go to make sure the stuff in my collection is as accurate as possible.

And the t-track that I offer to people is the exact same stuff that I have on my own personal props. For people who know me and my body of work, that's all the reassurance they need.

Hey Roy, have you ever handled screen-used props with t-track on them? Did you use them in hand to make your t-track?

No wait, that was me.

So this whole thing of trying to make it sound like your track even has the remote possibility of being on the same accuracy level of mine is ridiculous and completely misleading to potential buyers.

Now I have no problem with anyone who wants to buy Roy's track whether it's because they don't care as much about accuracy or if they just want a cheaper alternative.

Not everyone out there is a stickler for accuracy and that's certainly their choice.

But lets not get it twisted about which is more accurate to the screen used stuff.

At least then people can make an informed decision.

Edited by GINO

My opinion is that the difference it ultra negligible as far as accuracy goes.

No matter how you slice it, both are replications of the original, not original.

So unless someone has an actual track or made a copy of an actual track, the whole conversation and peen waving is completely useless and counter productive.

Gino... people know your track and if they want to buy it, they will, regardless to Roy offering others or anything that is said here or anywhere. Your reputation stands as it is and people know it.

By continuing to argue the point however, you do turn people off of your stuff because they might find your "mightier then thou" or rather "more accurate then thou" attitude a little off putting.

Let your reputation and actual product stand as it is. People with eyes can see the photos and direct comparisons and make their own decisions.

Edited by Dday
  • Like 1

Didn't really answer my question. I read almlost all the posts and I do understand your accuracy is higher than the rest but I was wondering if there is something about your materials or manufacturing process that warrants the doubling of price or if you are pricing what the market will bear based on yours being the more accurate. Just wondering.

Guess what came in the mail today?  Priority mail trucks in the Netherlands have A LOT of wheels!  6 days for shipping to the U.S.

LOTS of comparison photos and measurements added to the first post in this thread. There IS a difference!

Nederland_zps7f95837c.jpg

Edited by usaeatt2
  • Like 2

Hey but it's 98% close.

And for a selfmade replica it's more as good if you have not the orginal at hand to copy it 1:1 .

I really like them an it's a hugh improvement to my previous ones.That's a personal taste i know.

I can understand Gino's POV. But at the end it's all nit picking.

The one is great, the other one is greater so who is the greatest. I'm really upset to read this again and again.

It's sad. :huh:

Edited by Turrican
  • Like 2

And I agree. I am going to lock this thread as it has come as far as it can and still be productive which it is quickly approaching NOT being. The information is here. The comparisons are made. The people will decide which they want to buy.

• Like 7