DVH Pipe Build with Extras

Well, after reading all the great E-11 builds over the past months or so, it's about time to start mine. I always had a plan to build a Doopy Doo kit after I finished my Hasbro conversion. Then I saw Steve's (Gazmosis) build with the real folding stock and thought "I must have that". So publicly now, I thank him tremendously in helping me get that too Australia. I'm sure most people know how hard it is to get firearms into Australia! So, after getting the folding stock in my little hands I thought I couldn't stop there..... Anyway, more of that will come over the next few pages. I’ll take this opportunity now to thank the many E-11 builders and critics that have posted comments, suggestions and ideas to help us all learn and strive for the blaster we want! And to those many people that I have blatantly copied, please take that as a complement to your great skills J.

I actually decided on a DVH kit, instead of a Doopy, mainly for the inner bolt assembly. This feature I really wanted and I think looked a lot better on a DVH. This kit is, I guess, a DVH v2.0, the last before they went to the hands of Dday. I bought this kit quite some time ago, and have been accumulating bits and pieces and putting them in a box. Opening them up again after I moved house a few weeks back was like Christmas again! So, without further ado, some pics:

There it all is. Pretty much everything I'm accumulated for it over the last 6 months. About the only thing I think I'm missing (for now) is the inner barrell and Hengstler bracket.

P1020309_zpseb32573f.jpg

As I mentioned about copying others, here's my reference to everyones threads about different parts of thebuilds.

P1020316_zps0208a7e1.jpg

Step 1 - The receiver. To get my 18 inches, I had to buy 13ft of 40mm Electrical Conduit

pipe2_zps76e4682b.jpg

Could do with a bigger car

pipe3_zpsc10cd5ee.jpg

Will be using Aaron's excellent templates. 

P1020312_zps4183371e.jpg

I originally bought a metal leg/pipe from Ikea, but thought the wall thickness was too thin to support pins for all the components to stick on to. Also the thicker wall thickness makes a perfect inner diameter for the inner bolt on the DVH kit. More on that when I tackle the bolt.

Template glued on and starting to drill. Started with smaller bits, worked up to the larger diameter. First step.

P1020384_zps1d6a7d37.jpg

Second

P1020385_zpsd44c8ee2.jpg

Cleaned up the rubbish on the inside with a bit of sandpaper wrapped round a broom handle.

P1020388_zps795db74a.jpg

Hmmm, I didn't take a finished photo.... Will come back to that.

As mentioned earlier, appreciate all the critics with any comments and suggestions. Stay tuned.

Edited by Sith Lord

Pretty sure you have that title Aaron. Unfortunately you're not on the list much cause there's no way possible to copy any of your achievements :)

Btw -are those photos upside down? They were fine on the laptop, but 2 of them are upside down on my iPad :(

• Like 1

Oh no, I'll be needing luck and plenty of it. Research is my strong point. Execution, well...... we'll see. Weird about the photos, but all future build shots will be taken with a real camera, not iphone, so shouldn't have any future dramas. They were only pics of the worlds longest E-11 Receiver anyway!

Hope I haven't shot myself in the foot wit too higher expectations, quoting all those "heavy hitters". However plans have changed quite a bit over the months, hence the 3 scopes and 2 1/2 counters in the first pic.

Edited by Sith Lord

Pics of the finished receiver:

P1020465_zpse32022f5.jpg

I did have one blow out with the spade bit. Should have stuck to my trusty dremel. (there's those execution skills of mine  :) ). It'll basically be covered by the guard anyway, so no major drama. Certainly not worth drilling all those holes again.

P1020466_zps874a9ea2.jpg

Filing down the bayonet 'flat area'.

P1020437_zpsdab2cd65.jpg

And preparing for the Sterling folding stock catch to be able to fit in there. The Pipe wall thickness is a little too thick to accept the catch. This should do it, but will need to finalise once I get to installing the stock properly. Trying to find a mate with an Oxy torch to do Aaron's way of heating it off.

P1020435_zpsfa823427.jpg

P1020436_zpscae2f08c.jpg

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Ian

Looks like your off to a good start Ian! Again, i apologize for all the dramas with getting you this kit. Looking forward to how this comes out!

No dramas Lou. Personal situation - losing/changing jobs, moving house - meant I couldn't get to this sooner. Full steam ahead now. As full steam as 2 year old twins allows me.

• Like 1

I think you should finish to break that split you have around the ejector area, and then fill it with epoxy as i can see you have some on your workbench ;)

Other than that, that's a very neat job you've done drilling those holes!

Pretty sure you have that title Aaron. Unfortunately you're not on the list much cause there's no way possible to copy any of your achievements :)

Btw -are those photos upside down? They were fine on the laptop, but 2 of them are upside down on my iPad :(

Thanks!  Nice job on that pipe!  Even though a couple pictures were upside down, I still like seeing foreign cars (with nice rims!) and home center parking lot conunudrums (I thought those things only happened to me).  :)

I think you should finish to break that split you have around the ejector area, and then fill it with epoxy as i can see you have some on your workbench ;)

Other than that, that's a very neat job you've done drilling those holes!

Good plan. Although I don't think the crack went all the way through, so I could just patch up the outside with the epoxy to give it maximum strength, before fixing the ejector guard.

13ft!?! I would have gone to the tool department and cut it in half

Haha, I did take my handsaw with me expecting that exact situation, and knowing this particular stores customer service, I didn't have any expectations of them helping me...

And here on my desktop at work the photos are right aswell, so must be an ipad thing. Oh well....

Edited by Sith Lord

Front sight - After cutting the sight away from the guard, I was left with this

P1020393_zpsa71c07a0.jpg

P1020395_zps8e2026af.jpg

After thinking about adding green stuff and re-shaping...........

P1020459_zpsf918e6e2.jpg

..........I thought, nup too hard. Lets start again.

P1020461_zpsc777a2dd.jpg

P1020462_zpsfa5eb1e3.jpg

P1020464_zpsebb75820.jpg

P1020467_zps2e5aa64d.jpg

P1020468_zpsce4bf7bc.jpg

Thoughts?

[/url]

P1020471_zps755c9f72.jpg

P1020472_zps0161f91f.jpg

P1020483_zps7f7a8f11.jpg

P1020479_zpscc644fda.jpg

After finishing last night, then seeing Aaron's templates with exact measurements, mine is a mm or so out here and there. Do you think it is good enough, or perhaps start again now that I have the accurate measurements?

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Sith Lord

Actually i don't understand why you bother sanding the bottom of the front sight in a rounded shape to fit the pipe instead of making the dovetail notch into the pipe, like on an actual Sterling:

607d6d10.jpg

To me, it seems easier but also more accurate... I understand the horizontal part of the cut could be tricky if you only have a dremel though.

Edited by The5thHorseman

I thought about making it this way for my kits but the cuts to the aluminum pipe could be trouble. I'm planning on doing this in a future update though, once I do some practice on the pipes. The PVC pipe might be a little easier though.

Actually i don't understand why you bother sanding the bottom of the front sight in a rounded shape to fit the pipe instead of making the notch into the pipe, like on an actual Sterling:

607d6d10.jpg

To me, it seems easier but also more accurate... I understand the horizontal cut could be tricky if you only have a dremel though.

Yeah, I thought the same. Easier to round of the sight, rather than cut into the pipe. If it was a simple vertical cut it might be OK, but lots of room for error with those angles - I think.

Edited by Sith Lord

Great work on the front sight Ian. I wouldn't start over unless you really feel like that mm is going to drive you crazy. You can always add a bit of green stuff me file it down to your liking.

I am working on mine now and even though I am trying to stick to Aaron's measurements, its always a tad bit off. I will most likely try the dovetail notch to fit my front sight but I think yours rounded on the bottom sits nicely on the pipe.

Ok, wish me luck. Heading over to a mates house tonight for him to oxy torch my folding stock bracket off - aka Aaron's method in his Steel Pipe build. I think I need that in place before I can 100% confirm where items like the rear end cap need to be. Will post pics and progress later in the week.

Ok, wish me luck. Heading over to a mates house tonight for him to oxy torch my folding stock bracket off - aka Aaron's method in his Steel Pipe build. I think I need that in place before I can 100% confirm where items like the rear end cap need to be. Will post pics and progress later in the week.

Good luck, Ian!  Nice 'n easy...you'll be done before you know it and wonder why you even worried about it.  Don't burn down the house!  Looking forward to the update!   :jc_doublethumbup:

Good luck, Ian!  Nice 'n easy...you'll be done before you know it and wonder why you even worried about it.  Don't burn down the house!  Looking forward to the update!   :jc_doublethumbup:

You're right! These oxy torches would whip through marshmallows pretty quick! Done in 30 seconds I reckon. Red hot, then dropped off. Pics to come...... Mine doesn't seem to have a locating nub like yours did, so not sure what's going on there.

I was holding the skewer with the bracket on it, whilst my buddy handled the Oxy.

P1020491_zps6e6a3cce.jpg

Getting hot

P1020492_zps2469629c.jpg

Receiver portion gone!

P1020493_zps5b6f4091.jpg

I'm guessing the gold colour is the remains of the brazing compound used to fuse the parts together. All that will be cleaned off with the dremel/sandpaper before fixing to the PVC pipe. That instalment to come later.

P1020495_zps364c2b02.jpg

No locating nub, as mentioned previous post. Shouldn't be a drama.

P1020497_zps50d13f07.jpg