How to: reverse UV damage on armor

I haven't trooped much as of late. There are two reasons for this. First, I don't have a lot of free time, as I manage two drug stores, but more importantly, when I was removing my armor from it's bin before my last event I discovered a great deal of yellowing on my bucket. I haven't felt comfortable trooping with such ugly armor. I recently bit the bullet and tried Retr0bright, an open source formula that uses easily available ingredients to reverse the UV damage that causes the discoloration. I figured others who have had this trouble would be interested in this so I created an Instructable outlining the process.

I'm not sure how appropriate it is to provide a link to Instructables, so if it is not allowed I can write up a proper tutorial on here.

Here is the link to my project: http://www.instructables.com/id/Restoring-yellowed-Stormtrooper-armor/

Also, if you feel so inclined, feel free to vote for me in the fix and repair contest.

Thanks,

TK-5246

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing this.  I'm sure many a trooper can benefit from this if not now then later.

I've got an R2D2 toy that is all yellow. I may try this with him.

Also... You're basically my hero for signing the instructable: "With unquestioned loyalty"

-Eric

That was a great instructable!  Thanks for posting it!

I'd like to find out if this prevents yellowing forever, or if it gets rid of the yellowing for now and then the ABS will start the yellowing process again?

Or of course you can just go and buy some Plasti Polish that does the same or similar thing although not as much fun as mixing up your own poisonous concoctions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the automotive industry the yellowing on headlights is due to UV. Block the UVs and most yellowing stops. Head light restoration kits come with anti UV polish. I know 3M makes some just can't remember the name, it comes in the it restoration kit. Plastic companies like TAP plastics might know. Haven't really tried this yet just throwing my two cents in.

I use Meguiars PlastX and it works great! I was using it just to polish and clean at first then discovered some yellowing in a few sanded spots. It removed it quickly and I haven't seen any since. A little goes a log way and I've only polished my armor maybe 4 times in a year and a half. I use a dry washcloth to apply and a microfiber cloth to remove.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As an arcade collector/restorer I've seen retrobright used a lot over the years, but id personally be very wary of using it on armour as its known to make plastics more brittle. It can also deform PVC and a few other plastics.

Obviously your results look good, but people should be v careful.

In the automotive industry the yellowing on headlights is due to UV. Block the UVs and most yellowing stops. Head light restoration kits come with anti UV polish. I know 3M makes some just can't remember the name, it comes in the it restoration kit. Plastic companies like TAP plastics might know. Haven't really tried this yet just throwing my two cents in.

As a former mechanic, I can tell you that toothpaste works as good as that product. :)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by Tolo
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Fellow troopers,  TK267 here.  I took my armor out of the box and I too hav ethe yellowing issue.  I bought it from Holywood FX about 15 years ago.   I want to display it, but need to get rid of the yellowing.  I'll be trying the technique in the industructable,  I did try with 3% HP,  but only made it a little better.

I'll heep you posted.

• 7 months later...