BatNinja's AM 2.0 EIB ANH Stunt Build Thread

Good advice on those ears guys! Those are totally save able. Not that they were bad to begin with. Anyway, you asked earlier regarding your waist belt. Why there are so many useless pieces included with the AM kit baffles me. Use the belt you have pictured on the left. The rivet covers, which it looks like you have two sets of, should be trimmed out yo be 1 inch square. One will go in the center, one on each end. However, the really should not be centered as the dimple on each end suggests. After trimming out the rivet cover, stage it on the end so that it is centered top to bottom but is sitting about 1/8 inch off the edge. Then Mark the rivet cover's location so you know where to install your rivet.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks since I did anything on the helmet, but since my boots came in today, it spurred me to do some painting.  I've just done the teeth and the vocoder:

tth_zps873df256.jpg

vocoder_zpse6116086.jpg

I'll give it a few days to dry and cure, then I'll do a little touch up if necessary.  I think it came out better than I expected!

Congrats on receiving your boots. One step closer... ;)

Looks like the grey color has gone a bit too far (on tooth 4 and 5). It's hard to say, as most of your paintwork is in the shadow on that photo.

Do you think you can remove this before it cures?

• 2 weeks later...

Moving onto the armor...

Is there a thread that discusses the widths of the butt joint covers for all the pieces (bicep, forearm, thigh, and calf)?

And how much wiggle room should there be inside the pieces, between the plastic and the undersuit?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I've got the arms taped up to the desired circumference, and will be working on the joining pieces this week.   Is the preferred method to use shims on the inside of the pieces as well?  If so, is it advisable to glue both inside and outside at the same time, or one and then the other?

I hope that makes sense...

Also, I have both ABS glue and E6000.   Is there a preferred adhesive?   I was thinking of using the ABS stuff for the internal shims (for strength), and the E6000 for the for the outer joins (in case I need to reposition anything in the future).  

Thoughts?

Go E6000 for sure- dont be in a hurry!   I tried to do the inner and outer at the same time, was way too difficult to ensure everything was in the right place and not sliding around.  I went with the inside's first on everything one day, outside covers the next.  

Forgive the crudeness of the diagram ("I know, Doc, it's not to scale."), but is this the correct placement of the thigh boxes and holster for ANH Stunt?

anh_belt_1_zps87b79f04.jpg

Thigh box even with the end of the belt?

Thigh box almost touching the bottom of the belt?

Holster butted up against the thigh box and the belt?

Holster rivets near the top of the belt?

Do the inner join first, after it will be easier to do the outer one, since the pieces are already held together. Go for E6000, it is strong enough and you have room for mistakes.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a break from gluing arms and biceps to start on my AP "B+" kit.  By the time I stopped to take pictures, I'd already got to the brow trim!

ap_magnets_zpstunvjoqh.jpg

This is a great kit, and you have to really look close to see why it'd be considered a B+.  From a foot away, it's an A!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Always nice to have reinforcement. I have shims on mine, i think it gives it a stronger join, especially a place that takes as much stress as the fronts take being constantly opened and closed when suiting up.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't posted much in the past weeks, as I've been busy between this and my other hobbies.

But now it's crunch time!

Here's what I have left:

Glue the shoulder straps to the chest armor

Paint new helmet screws white (had to get longer ones to hold in the visor plate)

Sand & glue the abdomen plates

Paint buttons

Add thigh snaps to garter belt

Sew Velcro to the back of the canvas belt

Add thin elastic to back of shoulder straps/back armor

Make straps from biceps (snaps) to forearms (Velcro)

Add the thigh ammo pack, paint rivets

Glue sniper plate

Add padding to greaves/forearms

Sew Velcro to back of neckseal

Add Velcro and padding to helmet

Configure electronics to helmet and chest armor (wireless headset/transmitter, receiver, amp, MP3 player, iComm, PTT cable to hand)

And I have to get all this done before Friday morning!   Headed to All-Con in Dallas/Addison!

• 1 month later...

Update!

I completed all the components at a frantic pace before All-Con back in March, and was re-activated back into the Legion!  TK-2648 is BACK ONLINE!

We took a few pics at the convention, but I wasn't happy with the overall look and fit, since I'm a bigger guy.  So I made several adjustments and I think the fit came out much better. 

done_zpsbpxvtcsz.jpg

A special thanks to my local garrison mate fuumantroop for all the assistance and advice!

Edited by batninja