Fitment Critique Prior to Local GML Submission (ANH Stunt T/MC Kit)

Hi, I’ve been lurking for around 3-4 months now as I’ve progressed through my build and I’m finally to the point where I’m ready to submit to the local GMLs. Before doing that though I’d like to get some critiques and ideas on how to fix some of my lingering issues if possible. I’m only shooting for basic approval at this time, but I’ve been building with an eventual EIB in mind and figure I’m about half way to achieving it at this time.

Armor: T/MC

Helmet: ATA (TMC in progress)

Neckseal: Darman TIE Pilot

Holster: Darman

Boots: Deer Stags Nolitas

Handguards: Stock ABS T/MC ANH kit

Undersuit: Champion C9 2 pc

Blaster: Painted and weathered hasbro, but needs obvious work before being EIB acceptable.

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 205lbs

Issues that stand out to me...

1. I'm too darn tall for this kit. (see side shots with arm lifted...hello gap between ab and chest)

2. Deer Stags aren't tall enough. Plan to remedy this with some sort of fabric/vinyl collar around the boot tops to stop the shins from riding up on top of the boots in front. 

3. Large gap between shoulders and chest/back plate. I've tried about everything I can think of here and can't find anyway to eliminate this. I think I'm just too big.

4. Left forearm is hanging a bit low. I think this is more related to the hand guards being attached to the forearms. The elastic is too short and seems to be pulling down the forearm as a result.

5. The kidney plate is all crazy. The darn thing is twisted and torqued all funny to the point where it doesn't sit straight on me which causes the sides to point at an upward angle and the whole job to look bad. This is my biggest issue (...I think...)

6. Biceps might be a bit large due to the fact that they were the first thing I sized and when doing so I actually had them on my bicep rather than below it as they're properly worn. Since I used CA glue and inner/outer strips this isn't an easy fix. Luckily, they're not horribly large and appear in proportion to the rest of the suit.

PA222885.jpg

PA222894.jpg

PA222892.jpg

PA222889.jpg

Edited by 87ninefiveone

You look great brother! You should have no issues with your approval. I would look into connecting your kidney and ab plate at the side seams. This will raise up your kidney into its proper position eliminating that gap on your back between the back plate and kidney. Also, your shoulder bells could use a bit of an upward boost. The tops should come really close to touching the ribbed shoulder bridges.

Thanks man, that means a lot coming from someone with your level of knowledge.

As for some of your suggestions...

The ab and kidney are currently attached to each other on each side via three 1"w x 3" l elastic straps. I might switch to nylon strapping or some mix of the two to try and straighten things out a bit in that area.

The shoulder bell upper strap is actually as short as I can make it, the problem is that the weight of the arms is pulling the shoulder bridge elastic out from under the plastic bridges. I think I might be able to remedy this a bit with some strategically placed Velcro between the elastic and plastic bridge to stop them from moving around relative to one another.

Edited by 87ninefiveone

What I did to remedy my shoulder bells was i made a shorter white elastic strap to connect the chest and back pieces together. That way theres less sag when the shoulder bells are attached.

As for the ab and kidney, i too am considering a nylon/elastic combo to remedy the gap that I have. I was thinking of doing nylon on the bottoms, and elastic on the top(for flexibility). You could always just make some nylon straps and mess around with placement and go from there.

Another fix could be to use a large strip of ribbed elastic, or just double over(fold a strap) the elastic straps to create more tension.

Looking good though trooper!

Yeah man, not too shabby. I wish I was a bit taller to fill my kit out more, but you definitely max that kit out. Looks good. Like Steve said a tad bit on the shoulders and secure the torso a bit on the back and front. Just remember to try and bring the shins down over the boot a tad bit, and maybe raise your cod up as far as you can , to try and tighten the gaps a bit. Looks good to see another TK in the Carolina Garrison! See you around bro!

Applied and denied. So much for skipping the build thread. Need to fix the following....

1. Gap between kidney and back plate.

2. Kidney/ab/butt plate fit issues.

3. Drop boxes need to be out to the sides further (not an issue as they mounted with a loop of fabric).

4. Fix the greaves/boot gap.

Bummer. But the end is in sight I suppose.

I personally removed every bit of elastic possible. Being a fat trooper, it did not helped me at all. My buddy who has your frame has an AP, which is what I understand it's their same armor, removed his elastic for webbing too.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I originally applied back in October of last year and got denied due to a number of issues. Well, some non-Star Wars-y stuff happened, Halloween came and went, and I just never got around to fixing the issues and reapplying until now. So, here's what was done.

1. Shoulder rework. I got rid of the should/bicep connection except for the bicep strap, this really did wonders to increase mobility and bring the shoulders in a bit which eliminated some of the undersuit showing through in that area.
2. Helmet paint job tweaked. The rear traps were cleaned up, but I've also gone through all traps/tears and narrowed the black outline which was too thick after examining reference materials.
3. Boot/shins. Added larger velcro tabs to the front only. The previous front and rear arrangement ended up fighting with each other causing the boots to pop out from under the shins. New arrangement solves that issue while also allowing more free ankle rotation.
4. Kidney/Ab connection. This connection has been reworked with fixed webbing on one side and snaps/elastic on the other. This solves the ab/kidney crazy angle issue for the most part. That said, as much as I've tried to address this the kidney still doesn't want to cooperate 100% which appears to be a function of my body shape and the belt position (being tall doesn't help this either since the kidney sits higher than its meant to on me in order to achieve coverage which makes it angle away from my body towards the top). Comparing left side shots from the first submission and this one I think you'll agree that there is a definite improvement even if it's not perfect.

Not sure how to address the back/kidney gap. I've already got the back plate as low as it can go without a gap at the shoulder bridge and the ab/kidney is already riding higher than is comfortable. The only possible adjustment is raising the kidney, but what's more important, a minimized gap between the back and kidney or aligning the top of the kidney and ab so that they look continuous?

Comments and suggestions welcome.

front.jpg

left%20side%20arm%20down.jpg

left%20side%20arm%20up.jpg

right%20side%20arm%20down.jpg

right%20side%20arm%20up.jpg

front%20pose%202.jpg

rear.jpg

front%20close%20up.jpg

I would raise your biceps. They are too low.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

What? No. They are fine where they are. High biceps is very much a fan made fantasy. They should sit where ever they end up when they sit right on top of the forearms.

I was really starting to believe this myth was starting to go away after years of correcting newbies with screenshots and pictures from the lfl archive. Such a fool I have been.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What? No. They are fine where they are. High biceps is very much a fan made fantasy. They should sit where ever they end up when they sit right on top of the forearms.

I was really starting to believe this myth was starting to go away after years of correcting newbies with screenshots and pictures from the lfl archive. Such a fool I have been.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If it makes you feel better I've seen those threads and they're the reason I got rid of a connection between the bicep and shoulder that kept them nicely tucked away (and severely limited mobility).

• Like 1

Can you lengthen the connection between the kidney/butt?  They look like they are overlapping a bit.   This would give you a little room to then shorten the connection of the back/kidney, which should then solve that slanting upwards of the kidney by pulling it up and will better align it with the abdomen.  

You can maybe try to adjust the strap lengths to even out the distance between kidney>back and kidney>butt. But aside from that it seems fine to me.

Not sure how the belt is affecting how the kidney sits.  How does it look without the belt?  Looks like it is fixable by adjusting the strap lengths, but I may be missing something. 

I think it's due to the belt riding low on the kidney. Because my belt tends to sit on the bottom of the kidney it digs into the space between the butt/kidney and acts as a pivot point which pulls the top of the kidney away from my body a bit. I've tried large gaps and small gaps between the two plates. Large gaps cause the current issue plus the butt plate bulges out a bit while small tends to limit the issue more at the expense of a larger back/kidney gap while leaving the issue on the side.

I'm really not sure what to do about this one.