gallery_14191_43_16269.png

gallery_14191_42_89.png

XOXO from the XO

Tip of the Month

TK Jack-o-lantern Stencils

Advanced Tactics Award Winners

gallery_17995_60_17112.jpg

The FX Helmet

After many years of discussions, the 501st Legion will no longer allow the FX helmet to be acceptable for new TK costume applications. In accordance with standard policy, all existing TKs that own FX helmets are not impacted by this change to the Costume Reference Library (CRL) and may continue to wear their helmets without concern. To confirm, this policy affects all new approvals, including situations where a member is coming back on active status or has sold his costume to another member.

This is an excellent milestone in having the Legion leadership agree with what the three detachments covering TK-based costumes have been advocating for many years.

While this is a a solid step forward, the wording was not as explicit as the staff and membership of FISD and other detachments had hoped. While we do not agree with the language adopted, we remain pleased that progress was made in this effort.

New wording in the helmet section of the FISD CRLs has been added to cover the FX helmet as follows:
  • Note: The helmet is accurate in detail and proportion to official references.
    • Many commercially available helmets or those considered disproportionate in size or shape are ineligible. 
We, the FISD staff, believe this wording to be vague and open to misinterpretation. Requirements by their definition should be verifiable. This new verbiage could be applied to any costume part in any CRL in the Legion. Accuracy and proportionality are a given for every costume.

To alleviate any confusion the Legion Membership Officer (LMO) has agreed notify the Garrison Membership Liaisons (GML) directly regarding the change in the FX helmet’s status. I have asked that the eFX and MRCE helmets also be included under the new exclusionary wording due to their inaccuracies. Due to the low adoption in the Legion of these helmets the impact is minimal.

The process to stop the FX from being approvable has been a long one. It started in March of 2010 when Paul Hoeffer (TK-8020 – Daetrin), the FISD founder, posted the question about grandfathering on our forum. In April of 2012 Dashrazor, the FISD Detachment Leader (DL) at the time, started a poll about it. In February of 2014 my last act as DL was to submit a letter to the LMO team asking that we stop approving the FX helmet. The letter was signed by 18 notable TKs and TDs, including former FISD and MEPD staff.

My gratitude goes out to the LMO team, Mathias our current DL, and everyone else that has supported this initiative to raise the CRL bar for FISD.

With Unquestioned Loyalty and Aloha,

Eric Brager
TK-9674 "Darth Aloha"
Executive Officer

gallery_14191_42_1235.png

gallery_14191_42_18856.png

A New Helmet HOWTO

There was a time when putting together your own stormtrooper costume was somewhat of a dark art. The required knowledge was passed down verbally and to only those deemed worthy. Along came this website that opened the doors to a new transparent future of Troopers Helping Troopers. Even after FISD became popular there were certain skills that seemed out of reach, such as helmet assembly. Those mysteries were debunked with Pandtrooper's helmet HOWTO. To further help anyone with a helmet build Gazmosis (Steve Gaza TK-4034) has written a new, modern, and detailed guide to building helmets with his ATA Helmet Build procedure. 

If you have ever written anything on these forums at all you will know that it is a time consuming and often tedious task. I know that it took Steve more than a small amount of his personal time and energy writing the HOWTO, taking photos, uploading them, and adding the photos to the post. Please take the time to post a thank you to Steve in the thread. 

This space is obviously not designed to house the entire text of Gaz's HOWTO. If you have a passing interest in building a stormtrooper helmet, especially an ATA, you should peruse his posts. Even if you are the bucket master you will likely pick up a helpful tip or two. 

With Unquestioned Loyalty and Aloha,

Eric Brager
TK-9674 "Darth Aloha"
Executive Officer

gallery_14191_42_27882.png

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

It is that time of year again. No front porch or doorstep - or office party - would be complete without the TK-o-lantern. Download and use these templates for a unique pumpkin treat!

TK pumpkin templates for download.

Click here to download the PDFs.

gallery_14191_43_39198.png

gallery_14191_43_4375.png

This month the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment would like to congratulate: (from the 1st of the month before and onwards)

Expert Infantry Badge Award:

• Kyle "Stormy1992"
  • Todd "Toddo" (7th EIB award!)
  • Germain "The5thHorseman"
  • Chance "2thin"
  • Tim "Dark CMF"
  • Andrew "Sly11"
  • Joey "vecspeed12" (2nd EIB award!)
  • Frederic "Stormtrooper77"

Centurion Award:

• Jason "RainTrooper" First Cloud City Garrison Centurion
  • Teet "Teet"
  • Germain "The5thHorseman"
  • Peter "Burn"
  • Andrew "Sly11"
  • Chance "2thin"
  • Chris "PhoenixTrooper"

The FISD is always looking for new applicants for our Advanced Tactics program so please do not hesitate to apply if you meet the standards! Our Deployment Officer and armorers are here to help and guide you through to success!

Feel like your armor is up to standards and worth of recognition? Apply for the Expert Infantry Badge Program now!

Want to go the extra mile, raise the standards of Stormtrooper armor, and be the envy of your peers? Apply for the Centurion Program now!

Note: Applicants need to be EIB approved before applying for Centurion.

Don't Forget We're on Facebook and Twitter!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitearmor
If you're on FB, stop by and say hi, ask questions, and share stories!

Twitter: www.twitter.com/FISD501st or @FISD501st
follow FISD on Twitter!

Instagram: www.instagram.com/501stfisd

With Unquestioned Loyalty,

Evan Loh
TK-24127 "evan_loh"
Deputy Public Relations Officer

On behalf of the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment Command Staff.

End Transmission.

• Like 2

Great newletter once again! 

I would love to do a TK pumpkin for my 2.5 year old but it says that I don't have permission to view the attachment :( can this be fixed or am I S.O.L?

Thanks.

Link to stencils fixed :)

-Eric

I lament about the ineligibility of the FX, and MRCE buckets.

To me, the FX is a connection to the foundation of the Legion. There is a certain nostalgia there.
It's also one of the few helmets that will accommodate a pair of prescription glasses inside.

With the MRCE it's a little different. I perceive the MRCE to perhaps be more accurate to video game media than any other TK buckets specifically due to their symmetry. Video game characters are a big part of the Legion and even the FISD. Not that Iam bothered in any way, but I've always had a little chuckle in my head when seeing a Stormtrooper Commander with wonky helmet and a bumpy eyelid. I chuckle only because I know there is a difference whereas, 7 billion other people would not.

I specifically know that Lucasfilm event casting either doesn't recognize that the MRCE helmet is different, or they aren't concerned about it that level of detail.

• Like 1

You can think whatever you like. But it's time the legion takes the next step as a serious costuming group that is a cut above the rest. This is part of it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You can think whatever you like. But it's time the legion takes the next step as a serious costuming group that is a cut above the rest. This is part of it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I agree with you on that Mathias.

I don't think we need to get Centurion standards to get into the legion , but, a little more accuracy is good.

Thank you for the news letter team.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by Tolo

As always, an excellent newsletter - Many thanks to the newsletter team!!

Congratulations (again) to all of my fellow advanced tactics awardees!  Tremendous accomplishments, to be sure!

beginrant\  Great news about the FX/MRCE helmets.  While they are indeed a strong link to the past and the origin of the Legion itself, I have found (during my short time associated with the Legion) that there is sort of a double standard out there.  

It appears to me as if the rest of the Detachments celebrate their advanced tactics awardees quite grandly.  It also appears to me that the minute a TK or the FISD start talking about submitting EIB or Centurion, or raising approval standards, those same other detachments begin throwing around the terms "elitist" and "armor snobs."  It can't be both ways.

The FISD is the largest detachment of the Legion - nearly a full third of the Legion is TKs after all - and the origin of the Legion itself is the TK.  Indeed, we should lead the way in accuracy when it comes to costumes and in my opinion, the Legion itself should expect no less of the TK community. /endrant

Edited by Dark CMF
  • Like 2

Someone should tell the yahoo on eBay selling "501st approved" armor that his product (at least the bucket) it's no longer approved. Oh wait... I did!  :laugh1:

Edited by ukswrath

• 6 months later...