My ATA stunt build

As for your question a bit back about the "fake" bracket mock up.  That's really a cool idea.  I was told earlier that what is underneath isn't important as long as you have the screen accurate look on the outside.  I am really struggling with the whole bracket idea. I'm ready to order my complete strapping kit from TM and do it up inside and out in true Hero fashion.  I look at the snaps and they do look tempting.  I didn't really see any responses to this question, but I was truly considering it. Hats off for creativity.

• Like 1

Thanks!! That's what I was thinking. If it makes the armor look more screen accurate what could it hurt? I've also noticed that over time the plastic wears out from the brackets. I am not sure I will do it. Maybe on my next kit. I am just surprised that I haven't seen anyone do it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for your question a bit back about the "fake" bracket mock up.  That's really a cool idea.  I was told earlier that what is underneath isn't important as long as you have the screen accurate look on the outside.  I am really struggling with the whole bracket idea. I'm ready to order my complete strapping kit from TM and do it up inside and out in true Hero fashion.  I look at the snaps and they do look tempting.  I didn't really see any responses to this question, but I was truly considering it. Hats off for creativity.

Having "fake" brackets on your armor only for the outside appearance is perfectly approvable and has already been done before. However if you put on the brackets and have a TM 1.5mm ABS armor i would strongly recommand you to use them as the original strapping method is in no way comparable to snap plates. However if you have a 2mm thick armor then using snap plates makes sense as the original bracket will tend to make cracks in the ABS because 2mm thick isn't quite flexible enough for them.

I use the original strapping on my ATA kit. There really is no comparison when it comes to ease of use vs. snaps. Ingenious design. Takes me longer to put my shins on than the main body. I did use reinforcement shims under the brackets on the inside because of the 2mm thickness, and when & if it finally breaks I'll just switch over to snaps. 15 troops and no cracks yet though! :)

• Like 1

So the consensus is that thinner, more flexible abs is ok for brackets and elastic loops, but thicker armor needs snaps? Mine is ATA and it's somewhat flexible bit I think it's 2mm. Should I be thinking snaps? I like the reinforced option. Now I'm confused. I really like the bracket and loop idea like TM did his Hero. It's not too late to change my mind.

I was planning on doing brackets but went with straps for being able to break down the kit

So the consensus is that thinner, more flexible abs is ok for brackets and elastic loops, but thicker armor needs snaps? Mine is ATA and it's somewhat flexible bit I think it's 2mm. Should I be thinking snaps? I like the reinforced option. Now I'm confused. I really like the bracket and loop idea like TM did his Hero. It's not too late to change my mind.

I believe what is being said is if you go with brackets (without additional support) they MAY crack thicker ABS but like Todd has mentioned, adding additional support to the brackets (basically, dispersing the stress of the bracket has on thicker ABS) should prevent the cracking from happening. 

Brackets and loops are canon, snaps are not. Either type will be accepted at the Centurion level. 

I believe what is being said is if you go with brackets (without additional support) they MAY crack thicker ABS but like Todd has mentioned, adding additional support to the brackets (basically, dispersing the stress of the bracket has on thicker ABS) should prevent the cracking from happening.

Brackets and loops are canon, snaps are not. Either type will be accepted at the Centurion level.

Yes, exactly. On my ATA kit, I just used scrap ABS to make shims and glued them onto the inside return edges with E6000 before I ever drilled the first hole for the brackets. There's really not much pressure on the brackets during "normal" trooping conditions. Plus, the elastic is gonna take the majority of the beating. There's pros and cons, but I didn't like the possibility of multiple snap failures during a troop, so I went with the brackets. But, as Todd said, if you want the ability to break down your chest, ab, back, kidney, and butt, you'll have to use snaps. The straps turn all those pieces into one big clamshell. And I found out the hard way if you don't thread lock the bracket nuts, you'll be making another trip to the hardware store.
  • Like 1

Ok. I think I'm leaning back to brackets. The thing I have always wondered about is whether the plastic around snaps starts to wear, discolor, weaken, fade, look dull from snapping and unsnapping multiple times. Still on the fence. I love the hard core canon authenticity of brackets but I also like the ease of breaking down the torso. Decisions decisions.

• Like 1

Ok. I think I'm leaning back to brackets. The thing I have always wondered about is whether the plastic around snaps starts to wear, discolor, weaken, fade, look dull from snapping and unsnapping multiple times. Still on the fence. I love the hard core canon authenticity of brackets but I also like the ease of breaking down the torso. Decisions decisions.

What you can do is put brackets on your armor, make the elastic loops, but instead of sewing them close, put a male snap at one end and a female snap at the other. This way you will combine the pros of both methods ;).

Edited by The5thHorseman
  • Like 3

What you can do is put brackets on your armor, make the elastic loops, but instead of sewing them close, put a male snap at one end and a female snap at the other. This way you will combine the pros of both methods ;).

O...M...G... You sir, are a genius!! I've been needing to replace the year old frayed elastic on mine for a while now, but have been soooo dreading the sewing. I'll be replacing them soon now! THIS is why I love FISD!!

That's actually a excellent idea  :duim:

Mind BLOWN!! I was actually thinking of something similar by putting the brackets on for effect but doing the snaps with the elastic going through the brackets. Look of brackets it ease of snaps. This is going to be awesome!!!

• 3 weeks later...

do you have to spray paint the helmet white before you paint it?

No, the helmet is a shiny white ABS plastic already, though not all armor is made this way.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I forgot about this thread dang it! I made the snap loops for the brackets, and I've trooped them twice. They work great! I don't have pics yet because I'm lazy, but I'll post a couple soon. LOVE being able to break the armor down again. Great idea 5thHorseman!!!

• Like 2

Hey guys, I forgot about this thread dang it! I made the snap loops for the brackets, and I've trooped them twice. They work great! I don't have pics yet because I'm lazy, but I'll post a couple soon. LOVE being able to break the armor down again. Great idea 5thHorseman!!!

I would love to see them when you have some time to post or PM me

Sorry it took so long, and I hope this hasn't derailed this thread... Here are some pics of the snap loops. Once again, genius idea. Thank you 5thHorseman for the idea!

post-20128-143199601062_thumb.jpgpost-20128-143199602234_thumb.jpgpost-20128-1431996034_thumb.jpgpost-20128-143199604707_thumb.jpgpost-20128-143199606076_thumb.jpg