Altair's MTK ANH Stunt Build

Altair

Got the ammo pack attached to the right thigh this afternoon :)

I had a wine bottle cooler that was about the right size and clamped on the ammo pack. I used pieces of wood in between the boxes so the bend in the plastic was not so sharp between the ammo boxes.

KdCFmB1.jpg

I applied heat using a heat gun, being careful not to melt the plastic. Here is the result.

eS83ozP.jpg

To attach the ammo pack I used 7mm double capped rivets. Simply drill a hole, slot it through, put the other cap on, and smack it with a hammer :)

XJIpCND.jpg

I positioned the rivets in the upper corners and fastened to the ridge on the bottom of the thigh

YOY3EcE.jpg

AHasave.jpg

The middle box lines up with the cover strip

6G58WVR.jpg

To finish off I painted the rivet heads white

wI6SqhJ.jpg

I see a future Centurion application in the making. Looking sweeeet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Small update, I've added strapping to the thighs. I made loops out of 50mm high density elastic and put the snap/velcro combo on the end

cJRvuF0.jpg

These then hang of a belt

xi4KYIX.jpg

Now for some split rivets, just what every Centurion needs ;)

A single split rivet on the lower tab (cod) of the ab armour

CQI6PCN.jpg

Three 8mm split rivets down the left side of the ab armour, equally spaced and about 10mm from the edge

piVznWV.jpg

Then the same for the left side of the kidney plate

I8RCbQD.jpg

Tonight I added a single male snap on the top right corner of the ab plate (for centurion)

9qjlnSV.jpg

Then I decided to start gluing in some snap plates

GMRZMIr.jpg

Here is the back assembly

SHGLR7w.jpg

All snapped in :)

SLd0aJ1.jpg

Thanks guys.

@toybiz - There is a bit of flex as the straps are elastic and there are other TK builds in our garrison that utilise the same method. I'm not sure how much flex is needed but figure if there is an issue I can make up some single snap straps later on and don't have to replace the snap plates :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost there! Just a few little things to finish off.

Han hooks are now glued into the biceps

DI8m4Gv.jpg

I made up some straps with 50mm elastic and velcro ends to connect the forearms and biceps

O5dDebd.jpg

skkvOV7.jpg

Also made some white 50mm wide elastic straps for the shoulders

G9ISQhb.jpg

Painted up my AB buttons with humbrol grey (#5) and french blue (#14). I was going to use a stencil and make these neat... but decided to go with sloppy freehand to get a more accurate look :)

QnoRXjS.jpg

And now a quick test fit!

WKZz7Ng.jpg

Note: I still have to glue in my shoulder straps, finish the shoulder strap snapping, also add straps to the shoulder bells, etc

• Like 2

Finally finished my strapping on the arms :)

I ended up putting in an elastic strap to connect the shoulder bell and bicep. This will prevent the bicep popping out the end of the shoulder bell, not that I have this problem.

kqnj9ju.jpg

To connect the top shoulder bell strap to the shoulder straps, I cut a plate from elastic and sewed on nylon webbing to thicken/strengthen it for the snaps

lGFdSYR.jpg

Then I sewed this onto the shoulder straps

9sAhBVU.jpg

Before gluing on my plastic shoulder straps, I made up some spacers to sit underneath the straps. This will give a better bond to the armor instead of just gluing on the ridge

yHNZMr0.jpg

The spaces have a wedge shape to them so they sit more flush

2jxl2W1.jpg

To keep the straps down in the back I made some white elastic bands

MyqqgbK.jpg

48FWkgc.jpg

Now time to finish off the belt! To ensure the belt is secure and prevent minimal sagging, I put some female snaps on my belt that sit under the ammo packs

J2JPW6i.jpg

And installed the male snaps on the ab armour plate

b9b0uxV.jpg

I also connected the holster to the belt using chicago screws

6XEukuy.jpg

A few more finishing touches! I painted the heads of the rivets white

OlSzcI9.jpg

Things left to do:
- Glue shoulder straps to chest plate
- Glue 3 x square buttons on belt
- Glue 2 x button panels to AB plate
- Enclose drop boxes with velcro/magnets
- Trim/sand ends of cover strips

I will be finished this weekend and ready to submit for approval :)

This has been a remarkable build John, very clean, most impressed. Can't wait to troop with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is by far the most meticulous build tutorial I have ever seen. :jc_doublethumbup:  

This is like a military grade build, loving it!  :salute:

John I will say your cover strip retaining elastic is a bit wide though. It should be around 1/8" - 3/16". Though it won't effect EIB I'm sure Steve will mention something about it as you go for Centurion. Just an FYI.

Edit: here's a pic.

Again, great job   :D

ShoA3.jpg

Edited by ukswrath

Home stretch now!

Buttons glued on..

ON02U2U.jpg

Shoulder straps glued on.. I found it easy to put the backs of two chairs together and hang the chest/back pieces to get the alignment right

OQa8ANE.jpg

Done :) I did have a little CA glue run under the tape on the left strap (right side in pic), its not overly noticeable

eajRO41.jpg

On to closing in the drop boxes, I initially thought of using magnets to accomplish this.... I embedded magnets inside an ABS sandwich

6np3Fa6.jpg

TDYHAfT.jpg

The magnets work against the chicago screw

kJJMYix.jpg

Whilst this did work to enclose the drop boxes (and I was going to put in another magnet and strip of metal at the bottom for a stronger close) I felt that simple velcro would be better

So I whipped up a spacer

o8wxMlg.jpg

And glued on some velcro

TpGXpQB.jpg

I think the velcro is better as it doesn't just come apart, you have to tear it apart

TXOlLvZ.jpg

• Like 1

Belt buttons glued on and the ends of my cover strips have been trimmed/sanded! Quick clean up with novus and I'll be ready to take some pics for approval :)

Also picked up some thinner elastic - 1/8" wide - to redo my bands for the back of the shoulder straps

A few more upgrades!

I've installed an Aker amp + ICOMM + mp3 player in the chest armour with velcro.

HNT4SZ6.jpg

Also I got an awesome fan bracket from Echo

ZFTfWBV.jpg

Fits perfectly in the MTK bucket and the fans make one hell of a difference! So good!

SG9lMtU.jpg