Anyone use Hot Melt Glue for Armor???

When my armor was assembled and fitted to me at MFX, Guidon extensively used a hot melt glue gun (fed with Hilti glue sticks) for assembly.

Each bicep, thigh, shin, and forearm was put together this way. In addition, other straps and brackets, etc, were installed w/ hot melt as well.

Will I discover this to be a problem down the road?

Thanks!

My experience says yes. I've never had it hold for very long myself, but others may have had better luck.

Can you give me more info?

For example, did you have something put together with hot melt fail? How did it fail, and what did you do to remedy the situation?

I just used hot glue on set up, i never ment it to be perminant. example being on the helmet, the manual tells you to use hot glue on the black grill, and it fell off in one day. i have scence used the abs, with a bolt set in.

Hot glue dosent bond very well, and is too flexable. the cement is stronger, i cemented the fronts of all the clamshells, velcroed the back.

Can you give me more info?

For example, did you have something put together with hot melt fail? How did it fail, and what did you do to remedy the situation?

Yeah. I used hot glue in some helmet parts like lenses and it's pretty easy to pull off. Also tried hot gluing foam padding to forearms, etc. and they just pull right off. ABS cement is the way to go on ABS armor for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

if its build right there should be no problem

i used hot glue as well for the legs and arms

sanding the plastic and use good quality glue works well

the straping system is a lil different

i glued plastic sheets with snaps and some straps with "pattex" first

after that i put hotglue over it

works well

I did my helmet in hot glue, however, I also 'filled out' all the pieces that attach by trimming ABD to fit inside and leave a tiny little gap for glue beween the helmet surface and the added ABS. Filled the piece with hot glue, put in my ABS 'shim' and let the glue cool. Then filled the other gap and placed it on the helmet.

I've not had a problem with anything falling off or coming loose, but I've got a lot of glue inside.

I also used hot glue and ABS to place all my electronics in the helmet, but that's because I'm ripping them out soon and replacing my current Radio Shack sound board with a Hyerdyne. When I put that in, I'm going to use a much stronger adhesive.