My experience using a throat mic and source for a mic only version

• 3 months later...

I have the Ixradio dual transponder throat mic and after figuring out the sweet spot, it works almost flawlessly. I had to raise it a little higher on my neck, just below the jaw, to make it work consistently. I definitely like not having to run wires up into my bucket or deal with the mic getting pushed around.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a throat mic a few weeks ago before reading this post and it does not work with my external speaker .... i cant find the post of how to rewire the throat mic. . Any help?

Hi Omar,

Did you mean this post? http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/6515-how-to-wire-the-firefox-throat-microphone/

What kind of pin connector is on your throat mic? 

The vendor, IX Radio is looking in to producing a portable PA amp / throat mic set up available soon as well as another throat mic that is designed for costume use.

I was last told to expect the portable PA amp at the end of October and the costume throat mic towards the end of the year. We shall see.

<br>

Hi Omar,<br>

Did you mean this post? <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/6515-how-to-wire-the-firefox-throat-microphone/' class="bbc_url" title="">http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/6515-how-to-wire-the-firefox-throat-microphone/</a><br>

<br>

What kind of pin connector is on your throat mic?<br>

Hi Adam heres a pic of the throat mic ... i saw that thread but it did not apply to me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This video is a follow up to my previous one demonstrating the a walkie talkie throat mic can be made to work with a personal voice amplifier such as the Aker. From my searches on the internet, it has been next to impossible to find a microphone ONLY throat mic. There are literally hundreds of throat mics with an ear phone speaker like those used by military or security but then those will not plug directly into any personal amplifiers without using an adapter.

I looked up ix-radio, the original manufacture of the walkie talkie throat mic in my previous video and found out that they offer a wide range of audio solutions. Including the only mic only throat mic.

After acquiring a personal amplifier and throat mic set up from ix-radio. I did some field testing at about 6 troops in armor using the throat mic with different amplifiers.

post-19720-0-93034900-1461139457_thumb.jpg

http://www.ixradio.com/shop/voice-amplifier/

Update (02_13_17): the DUAL transponder WITH the velcro strap is no longer on their website. I recommend emailing the vendor if that is the one you are looking for.

In this video, I will be comparing a typical over the ear acoustic microphone (the one supplied with the Aker 1506) and the dual transponder throat mic from ix-radio.

post-19720-0-02121100-1461139639_thumb.jpg

https://youtu.be/4uH_iZh9Vwg

(sorry still can't figure out how to embed a you tube video - someone point me on how ;) )

Edited by toybiz

• 7 months later...

Looks like the company changed their URL for their throat mic and amplifier packages.

http://www.ixradio.com/shop/voice-amplifier/

Thanks for your interest.

Edited by toybiz
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have an ICOM and an AKER and am looking for a throat mic as well!  It looks like all the links being supplied here are dead now.  Any tips on where to find a compatible throat mic?  Thanks in advance.  

Looks like the vendor has changed their website around. Here's where I found their throat mics. It also appears they no longer offer the dual transponder one.

http://www.ixradio.com/shop/computer-accessory/

Good luck with your search and hunt.

I have an ICOM and an AKER and am looking for a throat mic as well! It looks like all the links being supplied here are dead now. Any tips on where to find a compatible throat mic? Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, Pledford said:

Purchased one several weeks ago from the site in this discussion but no word on when or if it will ship. Did it take a long time for you guys to get yours?

Ya Phil it took a very long time for mine to arrive.  I had actually given up hope.  I posted about it here on February 12th which is when I placed the order.  I only just received it 2 weeks ago.  I dont know if thats normal, but I do know anything shipping from asia can vary widely in time. 

I have not trooped with it yet but am pleased that it looks and feels sturdy and arrived in one piece! :)

• 1 year later...

In my never ending quest to eliminate feedback, I'm looking at throat mics.     I was specifically looking at the iASUS NT3-R BK2.     I was close to pulling the trigger but then I realized I don't know how these things remain powered.   I'm now thinking they draw their power from whatever they are plugged into?     I don't see any mention of them having a battery or anything of that nature.      

So....  that would rule out using one of these with a TKTalkie wouldn't it?

On 7/23/2018 at 9:55 AM, Plainsrunner said:

In my never ending quest to eliminate feedback, I'm looking at throat mics.     I was specifically looking at the iASUS NT3-R BK2.     I was close to pulling the trigger but then I realized I don't know how these things remain powered.   I'm now thinking they draw their power from whatever they are plugged into?     I don't see any mention of them having a battery or anything of that nature.      

So....  that would rule out using one of these with a TKTalkie wouldn't it?

Hi  Michael,

These throat mics are not pre-amplified, so no power requirements. On the technical side there are signal to noise and for some applications, matching the ohm resistance to get the best performance, but with simple applications like an amplified mini PA, I have not run into any problems with the throat mic working with the PA. The challenge had always been individual physiology on whether the mic would pick up the sound vibrations.  This is not a problem for acoustic pick up mics, but then those pick up breathing and more susceptible to feedback.

Keep these things in mind and unfortunately, I have no way to assure you a throat mic would work in your application.  Maybe find one for your cell phone and give that a try to see it it would work with your body.  Only suggestion I have is, if you have a beard, chances are a throat mic will not work as the mic is not making direct contact with your larynx.  Hope it works out.

• 3 years later...

Glad I found this thread on throat microphones, I started researching these last week.
I found that the TK helmet mounted speakers did not have sufficient throw for my liking and coupled with the feedback being generated by my iComm and amp both mounted in the helmet pushed me towards a chest mounted solution.
I mounted an old Aker and iComm with velcro behind my chest, matching that up to the Aker headset again provided too much feedback once again.
After reading this thread I have ordered the following:

Dual Transponder Throat Microphone - 3.5mm (1/8") Connector - XVTM822D-D35

Question for other troopers that have used this throat mic, how did you loom the cable which drops down the rear of the neck, do you loop it over your shoulder or run it under your arm?

In the meantime while I wait for this to be delivered to Australia, I have order the below to get my comms up and running.

Headset with Throat Microphone

• Like 1