My experience using a throat mic and source for a mic only version

Looks like you just snipped off the ear bud part?

Here's the link for those who are intetested.

m.jaycar.com.au/m_productView.asp?ID=DC1039

Oh yes...sorry...I did. And thanks for the link. Im going on my first troop with it this saturday so Ill post a report of it and maybe more detailed pics of it all. 

Edited by HansDC

• 1 month later...

As promised here is the mod I made with the Go-Pro chest mount.

For those that don't know this is how the chest mount comes - with a detachable adapter.
Wfuk8a.jpg

I removed the backing plate from the adapter and attached it to my Aker. Matching the holes, drilling them and securing them with the same screws & nuts that I use on my helmet. They fit perfectly. 

IqEwAn.jpg

Used velcro to mount the iComm unit to the side of the Aker and to the top of the Go-Pro clip.

Aziq7H.jpg

3I9h43.jpg

There will be a gap between the Aker and mount, but thats good because I can wrap my cable around it.

Zdp2ln.jpg

XgrAAa.jpg

The complete unit with throat mic. (Note I have cut off the ear piece that comes with the headset).

HOVubo.jpg

This is what it looks like on. I have a Veedox neck seal with the bib, and you can't see any of this under it. It also miraculously sits comfortable under the chest plate and doesn't bulge in any way. 

vqMpxu.jpg

This is the throat mic. Its only a cheap one you should be able to get from any good electronics store, but it works!

dis18L.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My set up still has the earphones in place and works fine. The adapter splits the signals from earphone and the mic.

If you plan to clip off the earphone, I would recommend taping the individual wires so they don't short.

There is an adapter that splits the mic and earphone signal that I may try and use the ear phone for an intercom.

Appreciate the post and info!  I just ordered that 50$ bad boy you had shown in your earlier post- I will give a report to everyone for sure.  I am so sick of the headpiece of my mic's digging in my skull after I put on my lid and then my mic wanting to float away from my mouth, even after biting it while putting the helmet on.  

There has to be a better system!

Post edit-  it came in!  I wanted to share the link to a quick vid I made.  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30596-throat-mic-demo-video/

Edited by Tusken RTT
  • Like 2

Do you mean the one I am using? It is a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male stereo plug.

Since my old throat mics are for FRS walkie talkies that took 2.5mm. This adapter worked for me.

MMS Wireless 2.5mm Female to 3.5mm Male 3 Rings Jack Stereo Adapter On/Off enabled Convert 2.5 mm Stereo Cell Phone Headset by MMS Wireless

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J2L278Q/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_pbO.ub0QR7DTT

This one splits the mic and headphone signal from one that uses a 3.5mm male pin.

smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008OB2NHA/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_2_5?colid=OUP4I6BJYOI2&coliid=I309SW10462CRR

So glad I found this thread. Will be ordering my ICOMM/Aker setup tomorrow and I was worried about my big nugget and the mic that comes with the Aker. Now I will also be ordering a throat mic for the setup and it just so happens I have a GoPro chest rig laying around that I can mount it to. I think that would be best as my local garrison does a lot with smaller groups of children where I don't want to be carrying it around. Plus the weight will be on my body and not on my armor. 

Thanks everyone in here for the info. 

Edited by FNGmacaroni

I may need to check into this.  My issue with the acustic mikes are that they start out working great, but after a few hours under my lid they stop.  I find its because I apparently have very moist breath that messes up the sound transmission as the moisture builds up. In helmet I basically breath through my mouth alot for some reason.  I feel im not getting enough air through my nose, which means moist breath hits the foam and starts condensing.

I may seriously look into this through mike option.  I like the acoustic sound better based on the vid, but if its only going to work a short time the throat mike may trump it.

Kevin,

Think you can post a video of your set up using the mic? I like to see if there is any notable difference with my current setup.

Thanks

I don't see why not but to be absolutely sure let's see of anyone has the exact set up. The iComm or the ROM/FX both can use similar mic inputs successfully.

I don't see why not but to be absolutely sure let's see of anyone has the exact set up. The iComm or the ROM/FX both can use similar mic inputs successfully.

Let's find out. I ordered a throat mic today. You know me Adam, I like options, and since you're having so great success with these I'm gonna give it a try.  :D

• Like 2

Let's find out. I ordered a throat mic today. You know me Adam, I like options, and since you're having so great success with these I'm gonna give it a try.  :D

This, I've got to see.  You're rocking the same sound board I've got, so I want to see what you've got to say about it!  :D

• Like 2

Well I'm not a huge fan having anything on my throat period however, these seem to be receiving some pretty positive reviews so far. As long as everything can stay in my bucket I'm down for trying new tech.

Now if Adam can just find me a ultra light, snug fitting, ear bud and mic system with built in, but separate, 3.5mm plugs for my ROM/FX and EAS I would be his #1 fan ;)  hint hint

• Like 1

You know I'm always looking Tony...looks like most of what I need to prototype my EAS is finally here. I will document and post my findings shortly. Hopefully this goes as planned.

Combo headset and mic? Stealthy stuff is expensive but I personally would look towards a gaming headset and cannibalize the raw conponents...(hint hint..) :)

Edited by toybiz
  • Like 2