Belt measurements question.

Hey guys I have a question, 

what is the location for the snaps on the ab-plate where the belt snaps too.
I saw an image "rough belt measurements"  made from TK-1650 (Bill Hag).

Total of 343mm from centre of snap location BUT one snap location is 28mm and the other says 59mm with a height of 15mm from bottom ridge for both.

Why is there 2 different measurements? is the due to asymmetrical  location of details of the armour.
I haven't looked at my armor yet to confirm but I thought I'd ask to get a quick answer.
post-21753-0-80501200-1412607374_thumb.jpg

thx
Arnold
  • Like 1

There is no linear measurement. But as the diagram shows, you want the snaps on the ab piece to end up within the belt box when the belt is attached in its final resting place. You don;t have to do it this way, but this is how I have done it:

Mark the center of your belt.(length and top to bottom. This will help you center the belt on the ab as well as be a reference point when you rivet your plastic belt to it. Lay the plastic belt on the canvas belt and lightly mark where the outer boxes sit. Lay the belt centered onto the ab. Mark onto the ab where your outer boxes are. Install the male snaps in those locations. Place the belt back onto the ab and press down onto ONE SNAP ONLY!!! When you press the belt onto the snap it will make a slight impression so when you lift it you can mark it with a pencil right in the center.. Install the female snap to that side. Snap that side down. Now you can pull the other side over tight against the ab to ensure that it doesn't droop. Repeat and done!

• Like 1

Thanks for the topic and thanks for sharing your knowledge Steve! Perhaps its time for a HOWTO on this method to make it easier on the noobs to find the info.

• Like 1

Thanks for the topic and thanks for sharing your knowledge Steve! Perhaps its time for a HOWTO on this method to make it easier on the noobs to find the info.

yeah, what he says!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I say, where is the engineer in you?

Measure twice, cut once. Live a little, eyeball some stuff. Use our gallery as reference for the rest.

• Like 2

I use the belt itself as the guide. 

center belt on plastic armor. have holes drilled on plastic armor as points of attachment.

mark belt at hole locations though plastic belt.

note where each box is located lift the belt and mark in the center of the belt the center of each end box.

using a hole punch tool, or a punch and anvil punch the belt at each location.

mount plastic belt onto belt with chicago screws.

take belt assembly and center belt with plastic in place over AB.

mark hole positions for snaps on ab.

punch holes in ab at locations marked, install snaps.

glue covers over chicago screws.

slip on drop box elastics between the snap and the screw.

done.

• Like 4

Was just simply stating that to help others who may have the same question. Seeing how the HOWTO is really broad and won't apply to all armor, just thought it would be a good idea. With as big of an investment as armor is, I am sure there will be a lot of happy campers with a tutorial on this.

Nice step by step Vern!

Point taken, but why deny a howto when theres howto's on just about everything else, you know? I am not trying to argue with you Mathias, and its not a howto i personally need to have. Just trying to help out those in the future. Research is a must for any TK build, or any 501st build in general for that matter. but if theres a chance to lessen the load on ones research, then shouldn't we help make that happen?

Troopers helping troopers right?

Edited by fuumantroop

My point is that even if there was a how to, we would still have this question asked by someone else in 6 months.

Have you got you kit yet? Because once you lay out your stuff and start looking at it for real a lot of stuff becomes apparent that seemed hard before.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thats going to be the issue with every subject though. I can't say that I am not guilty of doing the same, I am sure most members have asked repeated questions at least once in their ventures. I do have my kit, and am nearing completion. Like I said, this knowledge is not for me, but for future troopers.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no linear measurement. But as the diagram shows, you want the snaps on the ab piece to end up within the belt box when the belt is attached in its final resting place. You don;t have to do it this way, but this is how I have done it:

Mark the center of your belt.(length and top to bottom. This will help you center the belt on the ab as well as be a reference point when you rivet your plastic belt to it. Lay the plastic belt on the canvas belt and lightly mark where the outer boxes sit. Lay the belt centered onto the ab. Mark onto the ab where your outer boxes are. Install the male snaps in those locations. Place the belt back onto the ab and press down onto ONE SNAP ONLY!!! When you press the belt onto the snap it will make a slight impression so when you lift it you can mark it with a pencil right in the center.. Install the female snap to that side. Snap that side down. Now you can pull the other side over tight against the ab to ensure that it doesn't droop. Repeat and done!

I followed these instructions to mount my belt.  Worked perfectly.  Thanks. 

One thing to remember when doing your belt.

Do not mount the ABS belt to the cloth belt layed out flat.

The rivets will not fit right and will eventually pop out if you did them flat. The belt sits at a curve so you need to mark the locations based on a curve.

Put in the center rivet, then wrap the belt around your armored waist as normal. Lay down the ABS and mark the hole location on both sides.

Once you rivet it together, you will see what the belt curves a bit when layed flat. Then you know you did it right.

• Like 2