ARC's build

Hey Guys & Gals,

Thought I'd get a move on my ESB build on FISD, I've got a sister thread on the SCG forum too.

This being my first build I'm hoping to document it as I go along along, so expect a few pics.

Currently on the waiting list for a TK kit from ATA with a few more months to go, I'm going to do as much as I can leading up to it's arrival.

So I'm going in feet first. Bought these babies several weeks ago last while they were on special.

C55D7094-B81A-4320-8883-6C297BDEF362.jpg

Took advantage of the early 30'C aussie summer days that have hit in the last week and got some painting done.

Masked up.

89CE3C5F-AE7D-4307-9D6A-B5F01FF361C2.jpg
5EC8ABF2-2A9B-45D9-8A31-0F29D6F59042.jpg

Made a mini spray booth for the boots.

49CA0E73-68C3-4701-9E61-E2B3F47617A1.jpg

Did a light first coat.

1B8D30EC-62F9-40CF-B5FA-E3230CA683ED.jpg

Added layers as the day went by. Which was essentially between episodes of Clone Wars as I'm trying to catch up  B)

E001665E-564B-4128-8232-DFAEE72F5CA6.jpg

And pretty well done for this phase, on to the elastic inserts next.

5FDE26CF-5A6A-4DA7-9324-4891896F4957.jpg
1002B2DD-218E-4C45-A165-AC1EEB33B8CC.jpg

Now to unmask and do the elastics.

Edited by ARC

Thanks mate, it's a bit more feet first than you may think.

I've been living on the modified car scene for the better part of 20 years, this is my first costume.

So you could say I'm on a bit of a learning curve.

The boots are 98% done. Just a few touch ups to do on the elastics if anything.

The dye I got was more of a watered down paint rather than a dye, took a few coats.

I've watered it down a little more and kept on applying layers. I'm pretty happy with them :)

54CD9E7C-A83C-476E-BB8A-1FE1F2B4622A.jpg

9A722D9A-23B0-4AE6-9294-2330E466F092.jpg

Edited by ARC

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Steve, I wish I could report some significant progress but haven't done much.

Seems as soon as it landed, my weekends got busy all of a sudden.

I've done a bit of trimming of the excess here n there, gathered bit n pieces.and prep work. Not to mention more reading.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the lack of updates folks, last few months have been busy with doing a Officer costume and racing my car.

Thankfully the Officer is done and there's only one more race with the car this year(leading my class in the club championship, giggity) so my weekends are opening up.

I have been to my first amour party with my garrison and another coming in a few weeks IIRC.

Made some good head way on the bucket, got the face mask pretty well done. Might need to work on the teeth some more to make them more even.

Currently working on the part of the bucket I call "the mullet" because it looks like a bad hair cut. And then get the ears on which I've also done some basic trimming on.

The goal is to have the bucket completed before movie release so I can take along to our private screening of Ep7.

Obviously I'd like more done, but I'll see where things land between now and then.

Hopefully all the Christmas parties and 501st events don't eat too much time up on the weekends.

• 2 weeks later...

Helmet works.

Smoothing out the brow line, looks like I need to raise it a bit and bring it back a little more for the brow to line up with the lines on the

131FAB88-AF49-4533-9E6F-832B72555195.jpg

7E427693-430F-4B95-B5FA-4DFDE0B788A4.jpg

Also thinking about what to do with the bottom of the tube where it flares out.

Not sure if I should leave it as it is and see how it goes once I attach the mask and trim it then, or put a little heat on it and bring it in some.

I'm thinking also much of the flared out bottom will go once I trim it down for the S-Trim.

EA94C1D7-8327-4E8B-A2EA-ED67F2C04967.jpg

44858BA8-002D-401E-B5D3-56A3E76D656D.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of update fellas. Powering through now.

Sides are drilled and attached.

One thing I noticed is the cap n back is out of shape. See the last photo.

I trimmed the mask to the edge of the flushing, hindsight I should have left some.

The right side has a bit of gap, but I'm sure the ears will cover it.

Also need to work out how to safely apply a little heat to the bottom front corners of the cap n back to pull them flush with the mask.

0A6336F6-0D3F-4813-A70E-5AB42812A968.jpg

A4437EA6-1181-4906-8815-B01322F1C622.jpg

07FA135A-24F5-46FD-A285-C79C599B8996.jpg

FBE70058-7ED7-4FAA-A718-287BB4CA287B.jpg

• 6 months later...

Sorry for lack of updates folks, I'm not even sure where the time goes.
Biceps are done, Shoulder bells done. calves half done, forearms half done. Bucket still needs ears... I hate the ears.
Forearms i could use some advice on.
Not sure if i should re-do the coverstrips, they seem a bit short.
But I haven't taken off all the return edge yet.

91407FF1-7C07-40F8-8023-B2DB2DD57BCD.jpg

Edited by ARC

When the pics won't link property, just got to attach!

Or not.... Just click the other link for photo :mellow:

Edited by ARC

I've decided I'll go third time lucky on the forearms and make another set of cover strips.

I'll knock out all of the strips for all of my limbs while I'm at it and be a bit more cautious about it this time....

And no chopping cover trips after night shift. Hence the reason on third attempt. :huh:

Edited by ARC

And may I suggest if you're not too far along to chamfer the cover strip corners giving them a more screen accurate look. This can be done on all the cover strip corners.

Reference picture

gallery_12157_59_18048-crop.jpg

Keep up the great work  :jc_doublethumbup:

Thanks Tony, I wasn't aware of that.

I've rounded out the corners on my calves, biceps and forarms, probably wouldnt be hard to chamfer them with a small file.

I've also been taking the sharp top edge off them like in your thread

I found if you use an exacto knife you can carefully slice off the corners without damaging the armor underneath. Just take your time and wear cut resistant gloves. 

Glad my build thread helped. 

You're doing good.  :duim:

Thanks for the encouragement Tony, I'm on the big push to get it done.

We have OzComicon Sydney coming up in September, goal is set B)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I got the bucket done, I've also been working on doing the cheese cloth/plastidip lining too. Needs a little more work,

I've taken a weeks long service leave, So I'm going to knuckle down and finish this, this next week.

13938358_10154500456683825_2072417856939

Edited by ARC

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I took this last week off to try and finish it off before Sat the 3rd and got fairly close.

All that I have left to do is strapping from the thighs to a belt and ammo pack on the right thigh.

Just awaiting some rivets to arrive from one of the guys in the garrison who lives up north.

And lastly, just making last adjustments to the shoulder straps and making the back plate sit flush along the kidney plate.

Took the TK for a test run at Oz Comic-Con Sydney on the weekend.

Only had one minor wardrobe malfunction with the thigh ammo pack and repaired it overnight.

Got plenty of love from the crowds, I think I've had enough selfies for one year. LOL

14237665_10154610126048825_8935860733843