- Boots

- Velcro on the shins

Here are some shots with the armor :

mGATzv2l.jpg  khT6o54l.jpg

3v1rRrWl.jpg  A88zqEYl.jpg

HfPErTfl.jpg  1j0ZbLGl.jpg

A bit of strapping :

dXQ1TQsl.jpg

Heck yea!  Looking great, congrats!  It's like running a marathon for sure.  

I cant tell if you glued your shin coverstrip or not.  I messed up and made mine only 20 mm and I dont think it is quite wide enough- I did not do my homework and should have went with 25mm.  That's my next of endless tweeks. 

Yeah it's a marathon ! I don't think 20mm will be enough to be able to withstand the pressure... I hope you still have enough ABS. You can try though, maybe it will be OK.

Oh, and I still have to do the ABS paste for the shims !

A good thing to do would be to shorten the straps that go from the top of the shoulder bells to the shoulder bridge straps. It's an easy but also quite efficient way to help reducing the gaps of you have at the shoulders at the moment.

Yeah it was bothering me all the time I wore the armor ...  I constantly had to try to pull them higher, it didn't feel "right" when moving the arms.  And I think the black elastics around the biceps were too low, and dragging the shoulder bell lower than it should.  I'll have to remember to pull them higher.

Another thing to do : a checklist of things to do in order when putting the armor on : after I finished, I saw I forgot the neck seal   :6:   And one of the gloves fell on the floor ...  I was lucky my wife didn't have her cellphone in hand to take a picture !

I think I have a little problem : I got the TD clips, but it seems that they are not cut at the right place :

yV8h5mgl.jpg  lWR23c3l.jpg

The screw holes are not at the same place as other TD clips I saw on the forum.  Well, I think the holes are at the right place but the clips are just longer than they should be.  Because of that the TD "plate" is placed higher than I see on other TD.

What do you think ?  It does not bother me a lot, but I don't want to have a problem for certification (I intend to go Centurion at a later time).

Like you said, cut the end closer the screw hole. It will be more accurate and also bring down the panel.

yv8h5m10.jpg

Nothing difficult to do if you have a dremel. Just draw a guiding line where you want to cut, make sure the clip won't move and just cut through it. Watch for the heat but you shouldn't have too much trouble here. You can also easily do that with a hand-hacksaw if you prefer.

If you're not confident, practise few times just above your final cut line.  

Great call guys;  I went to the garage and hit my clips with the hacksaw then the file, took only a minute or so.  This will look much better!  You will be fixed up quick Alex.  

q1rjk3G.jpg

Edited by Tusken RTT

Finally I tried to cut the clips, and it was a complete success  :)   I cut it with a metal grinder and sanded it after.  Thanks for your advices !

Rc4sSstl.jpg  rOQluTGl.jpg

And after ...  I tried to fill the shims with ABS paste.  What a disaster.  I tried to make it larger to soften the transition, but now I just have a large band that I can't remove the scratches made by sanding.  I trired Novus 3, 2, 1, alouette !  How the hell can I sand it to make it even with a tape to protect the polished part ???  I finished sanding it with a 400 sandpaper, but I think the larger scratches are still there and the 400 one didn't remove them entirely.  Here is the result :

ftaIk0Xl.jpg

After this disaster, I tried it narrower on the other side :

Awxb9CHl.jpg

:(

Oh, and I began removing the black paint on the boots, but I ran out of deglazer on the second boot ...  So I have to buy another bottle tomorrow to continue.

TD looks great, I'm sure glad you posted about it!  

Not a disaster at all on the shims, just takes time.  I did both methods as well with the paste, the wide and the narrow on the seem, but each gets you to the same place after sanding I learned.  I ended up not taping off when I sanded, as it blended in better to the original plastic I thought.   I had to repeat a few small divets a couple of times with some paste, but eventually you will fill that seem and it will be smooth like all one part!  Just a pain I know.  I started too with medium sandpaper to get the bulk of the paste down, then the finer and finer grit.  

Dont forget that color/brand plastic spray paint I posted in the kidney shim post- when you get it sanded down to just the fine seem line that you can barely see, give it a couple of very light dustings with the paint without taping it off.  Let it dry and repeat.  It will transition perfectly into the original and will make your seem disappear!  Your kit is AP and the color is a spot on match.   The polish then is the very last step. 

I'll stop with the shims for now, I'm too frustrated ...  I'm not able to get the gloss on them.  I tried the paint on ABS pieces but it's not working, I'll have to do some tests someday.  I took pictures and it looks very nice on them, depending on the light it's very easy to see the seams with the sanding.  I don't think it can't stop me from getting the armor approved.  Is it ?  :unsure: 

nEap2Fnl.jpg  ppEK06kl.jpg

Edited by Spycee

That's the problem... It looks perfect depending on the lighting. If you look at it to see the gloss, you would see that there's no gloss on the seam. One of the pictures I already posted shows what I mean.

Did you use to he system 1, 2, 3. Also if you have a polishing bit for your Dremmel, it will make a difference, then use a softer buffing bit.

To be honest, when your out trooping, you will be the only one that notices it's there, to the children you will be the perfect Stormtrooper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the ideas ! I'll search for a finer sandpaper this week, I don't know exactly where to get it. 400 was the finest I was able to get at the hardware store.

I would have thought most (decent) hardware stores should have similar to 400-600-800-1000. You would possibly then need to try a hobby/craft store for finer than 1000. I didn't read back through your earlier posts, but make sure you're using wet'n'dry paper. The regular stuff is no good and may only go to 400 or so.